1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Deluxe Dilemma (reissue WRHB pickup content)

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by maloburro, Jan 14, 2021.

1. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

I’m hoping you guys and gals can help!

I have a 75 tele deluxe. It is a tremolo model, when I bought it the original pickups and pickguard were long gone

I’m trying to get it back to semi original within reason and budget. I acquired a vintera tele deluxe loaded body with pickguard. I had to purchase a WD pickguard because the screw holes on the reissues are not the same as the originals. When I went to mount it all up, the pickups are bottoming out in the cavity. Comparing the two bodies my 75 cavity is about 5/8” deep and the vintera body is 7/8” deep, almost a full inch.

It seems like the reissue WRHB pickups are taller than the originals. Has anyone ever compared the depth of an original to a reissue? Dimensions that is. Not sound. I’m not sure if this is just a Vintera thing or if all reissues have really tall pickups. The mounting tabs extend a full 1/4 to 3/8” below the pickup baseplate. Thoughts? Ideas? Advice?

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Ryan

2. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

The reissue is not nearly the same as the vintage. They are regular size humbuckers in a bigger case. You may need to check a different brand or possibly the new CuNiFe

maloburro likes this.
  3. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Thanks Collin

I knew about the differences in specs, that’s why I was wondering if they were different sizes in terms of depth. I wonder if anyone can then offer some suggestions on where I could get a suitable mimic in terms of size dimensions for an original WRHB.

I wonder if it’s just the Vintera WRHB that is taller than a typical reissue. In that case I’ll try to post in the main tele forum. Looking at pics online, the tabs on the regular reissue look a little shallower than those on the vintera but in haven’t been able to find side by side pics or comparisons.

Maybe I should just do the CuNiFe. They are pricey but I suppose closest to the originals.

4. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Original Tele Deluxes with a factory tremolo are somewhat rare. It might be a fun project to source original 70's parts for that one.

Matthias and maloburro like this.
  5. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

You can fins original pickups, I looked. The ones I found were $500.00 each. So I purchased some mojo tones wrhb with 500k pots.
    Not the same. Even the new cunife pickup are still just a little off.

maloburro likes this.
  6. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

The problem with mine is that it has been “weight relieved”. Luckily whoever did it was a professional, it’s a clean swimming pool rout now.

I’m just puzzled why these pickups won’t drop right in.

I know this isn’t the best view but this is the neck pickup with the mounting tabs bottomed out on the inside of the body and you can see how high it sits compared to the neck/fretboard.

I’d be willing to invest in different pickups as long as I knew how deep they were so I can be sure of fitment.

Attached Files:

7. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Just a suggestion, if the body has already been routed I would just have it routed a little deeper to accomodate your preferred pickups. You may not like original WRHBs, plenty of us didn't back in the day.

MilwMark, maloburro and SPUDCASTER like this.
  8. cjp60

cjp60 Tele-Meister

Are the legs of the pickup too tall? If so just rebend them shorter. You have a side view pic of the pickups you can share?

maloburro likes this.
  9. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

I’ll try to post a pic and maybe even a comparison with a regular paf style.

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Two minutes with a Forstner bit ought to fix your problem, no?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    maloburro and 63telemaster like this.
  11. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Did what you guys said. Drilled out the area where the screws hit.

here’s a family photo.

I really dig how it sounds. Even though it’s just a stock vintera electronics setup it really has a great tone. Maybe some day I’ll pull them and have them reworked but I’m happy with it for now.

I’m not sure if I should save the old G&L F100 pickups or sell them. Seems pointless to save stuff like that nowadays.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Matthias, Piotr, Rykus and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.