Tele Deluxe 79 saddles

Melodymanny

TDPRI Member
I have a 1979 Telecaster Deluxe.( I have trouble condensing things so please stick with it.)
The top E has always sounded quieter than the rest on both pickups even with pole pieces right up. I read that someone cured same problem by doing something with the bridge (don’t remember what) and also making the action Higher (not lower as expected). I swapped the E saddle with the B and volume improved but was still not loud enough.
Examining bridges I saw grooves on the saddles especially on the thinner strings. Sometimes more than 1.groove. I decided to try some new saddles. The only 2 sizes seem to be 10.5mm (0.41”)or 10.8mm.(0.43). Mine measure 10.0mm (0.39). I’ve tried to make them measure 10.5 but nope, they always come out at 10. I did see just one set of 10s on Amazon but that could be a measuring mistake.However my string width from E to e is around 52,(2.05”) definitely not 50(1.97”) which I assume it should be for 10mm saddles. So I don’t know what saddles to try. Maybe my original saddles are wrong size and should be 10.5s.
It appears that what I’ve read indicates the string width E to E is the length of 5 saddles but surely there should be some extra width created by the saddles being at different heights and different intonation positions.So how can 6 saddles of eg. 10.5mm have a string length E to E of exactly 5 x 10.5 (52 1/2 mm) which all the sellers quote.?
Another thing I noticed while the saddles were off for the first time is that the 3 bridge screws under the saddles are slightly protruding and not plush. The saddles are resting on these and I’m wondering if this could be contributing to the problem of the high E.
If any one knows what the official saddle widths are and/or the string width I shall be very grateful or ideas on the low volume high E string.
Thanks for your interest.

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
Firstly I'd try screwing in those screws the saddle is resting on...carefully, don't go scratching your guitar.
Secondly methinks you're overthinking the saddle thing, The width is measured from where the strings sit on the two E's which will be 52mm, string height or intonation doesn't change that.
Having 10mm saddles just means there will be a small gap between the saddles that won't be there with 10.5's, the overall width will still be 52mm though. (Or should be).
From what I can see on the webz the saddles should be 10.5's but I'm no expert and am willing to stand corrected if someone else says different.

EDIT: I wouldn't go buying the 10.8mm saddles as they'll be to wide and give you a whole other series of issues.
Good luck and let us know if the problem still exists after you've tried some fixes.

Last edited:

Melodymanny

TDPRI Member
Thanks Jimmy. Will try those bridge screws first and if it comes to saddles looks like 1.5.
I’ve noticed on my saddles is stamped 011032. I’ve seen some 2nd hand ones on the net for a small fortune relating to this number. They don’t look as good as mine and none of them give any measurements. So may try swapping mine around in different orders to see if those grooves can be less menacing.
Thanks again, will keep posted.

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
Given the type of guitar I understand you wanting original parts but it'd probably be cheaper to buy some Gotohs or another brand you like and just keep the original ones stashed away somewhere in case you decide to sell the beast in the future.
Might save you some money, original parts can be uber expensive.

Melodymanny

TDPRI Member
Yes it did sound like that but no I wasn’t looking for originals, just seeing if I could find the widths and string lengths.They we’re on ebay and the info about measurements was scant to say the least.
I have a cousin in NSW.Named Harry. Do you know him?:)
Thanks.

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Deluxes had a very narrow bridge for a US guitar. I measured a saddle for you as I have a micrometer handy… They’re about 10.3mm… So approx about 51.5mm-52mm spacing.

Beebe

Tele-Afflicted
If you have a bit of money burning a hole in your pocket, a hipshot is nice on a Deluxe.

But notice here that, even on this high end bridge, the saddles don't touch each other.

The string spacing is set by the intonation screw hole placement, unless the saddles are too wide and push the strings further apart.

PXL_20220628_201000916.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

The string holes through the body also impact the spacing, but can be doctored.

This body has vintage string through hole spacing, but a modern bridge, so I had to enlarge the holes a little. You can kinda see it here.

PXL_20220525_145103023~2.jpg

Melodymanny

TDPRI Member
Thank you for replies and info and nice photos Bebe. 10.3 eh Matt.? As I mentioned at first I did see only one set of 10mm after much searching which was on Amazon. I’ll get back with the make. So I’m caught between the 2 sizes.
The bridge mounting screws I screwed in a bit but they can’t go plush. I was thinking about flat head screws but on a little test it appears that the saddles will keep just clear of them.Will be back. Thanks.

Melodymanny

TDPRI Member
I did say yesterday that it appears that the saddles just about keep clear of the mounting screws.Thinking about it now the one saddle I put on was just clear of the bridge mounting screw because it was hovering in the air above it and clear by about 2 mms. Is this normal? Shouldn’t the back base of the saddle be touching the bridge.? (or bridge screw in this case.)l have no strings at the moment but even the weight of a string wouldn’t press it down to make contact. Still hovers moving saddle higher,lower back or forward. I might be missing something simple here. I’ll attach photos hopefully.you can’t quite make out the gap here but it’s there. If there shouldn’t be a gap then it would rest on the bridge screw.Thanks for listening.
360DBFDC-4924-40E7-8171-E0B13494DD28.jpeg
AE082F42-5D7C-49F4-BE08-85493201523C.jpeg

Melodymanny

TDPRI Member
Just an update if anyone’s still aboard.Regarding the low volume on high E string;
I’ve spent a long time lately adjusting pickup height and pole pieces. Was just about to try and unscrew pole pieces and swap them around.(Anybody know if it’s safe to do this without involving springs, wax, pots and other such things.) But I had one last go and now it’s not bad at all. I concentrated on lowering the other strings. I think the main problem was in the past concentrating on the e comparing it with b and assuming the other strings were ok. So there was a big contrast between the 2. Now the b and g pole pieces are as low as pos cos they are both too loud. No wonder I never liked finger picking over the years. The strings were probably all different volumes. Silly me for40 years.
However all the good players who’ve had a go on it over the years have loved it and said the sound was ok and no weak string problems.
Stay afloat, we’ll be docking soon.
Latest is I’m waiting for some brass saddles, 10.5 mm.
Another 3 weeks to wait. Don’t know where they’re coming from …Australia or Albuquerque? Sooner to arrive will be some strings and an action gauge. Meantime i rescued some old strings minus high e. Using a new acoustic high e. Also getting some new pickup adjusting screws… so we’re getting posh.
Calmer waters now. May reach harbour soon. Thanks for reading.

Melodymanny

TDPRI Member
Thanks Wound up. Pickup adjusting screws were sent packing(or rather sent back packed). They were a bit too long. Now I’m expert on screw measurements but can’t find mine. A lot of them advertised have a diagram saying this is measurement K and this is measurement L etc. But they don’t say what they actually measure. ie what the length of eg L is in mm.or inches. I’ve been going off in tangents ever since we started.
How long are we on this now?—- a month. ? I think I was happier when knowing very little about it. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Wound up has thrown me a life belt so I’m drifting to shore more comfortably but harbour lights still not visible. Maybe I’m not finished yet, I’m hoping for a passing ship.

Last edited:

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
How many frickin' posts are you going to make about the same thing?

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
Shouldn’t the back base of the saddle be touching the bridge.? (or bridge screw in this case.) View attachment 1030641 View attachment 1030642
The saddle belongs wherever it is when properly intonated. Some can touch the back lip (if you remove the spring) but that's getting into some worrisome territory. Is that what you're asking?

In that 2nd image it doesnt look like the bridge screw is as flush as the others, but it's a terrible pic. Are you saying the saddle is being elevated by the bridge screw?

As said already the bridge saddle hole placement is gonna dictate your string spacing unless your saddles are too wide. Err on the narrower width saddle replacements than your stock saddles if you feel you need.

Melodymanny

TDPRI Member
Hope I’m not going to be told off here for another post(see above) although I guess it was a fair comment.
What I meant wasn’t to do with saddle touching back lip but rather the base plate of the bridge.
Imagine if you place a saddle on a table - there are 3 points of contact on the table, ie. the 2 screws at the front and the base of the saddle at the back. It’s this base part which I thought should be touching the bridge plate but now I realize that the springs keep it in the air and it makes no contact. Those protruding bridge screws, which have all been like that from the start, and won’t screw in any further, luckily don’t make contact with the saddles. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
The saddles I bought were 10.5s so I erred on the bigger side but couldn’t find any smaller but they’re ok.Thanks.