Tele Deluxe 72 Reissue

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rich724, May 29, 2018.

1. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

Has anybody upgraded their Tele Deluxe 72 Reissue with Mojotone's 72 Wide Range Clone pups? I find that the stock one's just don't cut through and have read that they are not a reproduction of the originals. I also plan to have 500K pots installed as well.

2. Cicada Nation

Cicada Nation Tele-Meister

I went with the Lollar Regals on my 72 Thinline Reissue. They were worth the dough.

3. kanegon

kanegon Tele-Meister

I chose Brandonwounds over Mojos after seeing a video that seemed to suggest the Mojos were a little dirtier/harsher out the gate. Have no idea how vintage WRHBs are supposed to sound (well, maybe from a record...) but I like the Brandwounds more than regular ol HBs. Use 1k pots like the originals.

asnarski and hrstrat57 like this.
  4. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

Now that Telenator has shut down I don't know whether there are any sources for a true cunife WRH. All the products I'm aware of are attempts to approximate the tone of the original WRH with different components. I'm at a point where I think a Filter'Tron might be the best option.

5. Cicada Nation

Here’s the thing though- there’s a bit of obfuscation involved with the actual role of the cunife. It’s become unobtanium becaise you can’t source it anymore, but it’s not like it was some magical material. That’s what they used then and there are perfectly appropriate replacements now. What makes the modern Fender-produced “wide range” such a dud is that they’re a sham- they’re just PAF style pickups in an overly large package sealed with wax.

Rich724 likes this.
  6. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Actually PAF pickups are probably the most used and copied style of humbucker pickups. I think WRHB RI pickups sound great for my playing style even though they are not the same construction as vintage WRBHs. I bought them with full knowledge that was easily accessible to everyone so I am not sure why you think they are a sham. There are many copies available and the originals are also out there at a price if that is the "holy grail" that is desired.

asnarski and Ripradiant like this.
  7. Cicada Nation

It’s a sham because the whole point of the WRHBs and what they are famous for is that they are something totally different from PAFs and have their own unique sound. Now, some try to attribute this to magnet material, when really it is the construction that made them different (magnetic pole pieces vs metal pole pieces backed by a bar magnet). I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with PAFs, but if someone thinks they are buying a recreation of the classic WRHB when they buy a fender reissue, they are mistaken, because they are not. If someone is happy with PAF style humbuckers in their 70s reissue tele, that’s great, but that's not how it’s being represented.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  8. bassetman

bassetman TDPRI Member

I put a set of the Mojotones in today and am very happy. I used 500k pots.thay have great clean tones and play very well with my od pedals. I was very tempted by the Rio Grande version, but they cost a hundred buck extra. The Mojos are a huge step up from the OE pickups.

Rich724 likes this.
  9. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

I just dropped off my 72 RI Tele and the Mojotones at the techs house last night. I also went for the 500K pots. Should get it back next week. Looking forward to it.

bassetman and Cicada Nation like this.
  10. bassetman

bassetman TDPRI Member

Good for you. They are great pick ups. I’m debating tearing it down to add splits and phase shift but can’t justify putting the Guitar down that long. Thinking of getting another set to have a backup thinline and adding the fancy switching to that one. I’m very curious about the Rio Grande wider range 72 Humbuckers but they are an extra hundred bucks and they don’t have one clean sound file on the web site. Not prepared to spend that much to see if they are as good or better when I like these mojos so much.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have found that GS products are okay but I have not liked any of their pickups so far and have even given sets away.
    If they're any other brands that suit your budget, such as those mentioned above, go for them.GFS parts like bodies, necks, brass/Wilkinsom style bridges and other ports are good.Sadly, not the pickups. JMHO

12. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

I got my tele back and what a difference. I'm looking forward to the next band practice to let them rip. Hotter with great string separation.
    IMG_2309.JPG

RoscoeElegante and bassetman like this.
  13. bassetman

bassetman TDPRI Member

Installed the coil split wiring today. Many buckers are not worth the effort but these sound very nice when split. Not too much volume loss and nice clear notes...good for lead bits me thinks.

Rich724 likes this.
  14. bassetman

bassetman TDPRI Member

Glad you like it.

15. bassetman

bassetman TDPRI Member

I have a set of Lollar Regals coming soon. I can’t wait to compare the stock Fender WRHB, the Mojotone 72 clones and the Lollar Regals.

Rich724 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.