1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Deluxe “Build” GFS XGP Body and Surf 180 Pickups

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TeleUpNorth, Jan 27, 2021.

1. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

920BCF6C-5400-434D-A3C6-65F2CF06F7A2.jpeg EC663BB1-D3B9-4921-B00F-76B82B8976D4.jpeg D078D3C0-0427-4919-ADBF-C4F28CB99ACC.jpeg 918AB619-610D-40CF-B368-42B53CD320CE.jpeg 79221127-E21A-46B7-BAFA-6A74A9226BCE.jpeg 15C832B3-6722-4A4B-B14F-C8B07908EC91.jpeg 2803B24C-DC75-4AAF-8892-2C5C6CC2ACCC.jpeg DEEA1D34-BE76-48FA-A77A-F4235D44B9F4.jpeg 09645C2F-9D10-405A-A329-5E2C8B080CE2.jpeg 66090167-CC41-4585-B5EE-6E2C27AEB449.jpeg So in order to talk myself out of saving up $3k to buy my buddies ‘76 Thinline I decided to add what I could do. Pooled all my holiday gift money and was able to get almost all the parts to build a Deluxe style tele. I really wanted my 5 year old son to play a part also. He picked the color, Fiesta Red, as I would have gone with Vintage White.
    Parts list:
    XGP alder Tele Deluxe body in Fiesta Red
    Surf 180 pickup set
    GFS black hard tail bridge
    Kwikplug mini coil split harness (avoided soldering to make it kid friendly, he plugged everything in)
    3 ply bwb Tele Deluxe standard humbucker pickguard
    Black vintage spec GFS ferrules
    Black GFS neck plate
    ‘86 Squier Bullet neck and tuners (will be replaced when money allows, probably with an XGP tinted maple neck and black tuners)
    80’s black Rickenbacker strap pegs I had lying around
    Spent about three hours with my son last night and out everything together. Went pretty easy, and the neck pocket was a nice snug fit, but didn’t have to fight it. My boy loved drilling the holes, with help, at full power on the drill of course.
    This morning took some time and gave it a good setup. Wow, it sounds fantastic. There’s a nice crisp and defined quality to the pickups, and they really take drive nice when you dig in. I’m glad I got the coil split harness. The pickups are quite a bit quieter when split, but it gets a nice bouncy single coil quality to the sound, really nice on the neck. These are definitely thicker than the WRHB pickups in the Thinline, but have a similar sense of clarity and a decent airy quality also. I’ll try to get some audio samples later; I’m horrible at recording.
    Anyway. I’m excited so had to share!

SamIV, capgun, Jim_in_PA and 6 others like this.
  2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Looks really cool! Love the color combo; in the assembled picture it looks like the Fiesta Red has gone Coral...love that color.

I think the neck looks cool on it as is. And now I really want to try those pickups.

Nice work!

crazydave911 and TeleUpNorth like this.
  3. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Thanks! The red seems more 80’s Ric red than Fiesta Red, but it looks nice. I went black hardware because they were out of the chrome ferrules, but I dig the aesthetic of it with black. The neck is nice on it, but my bullet body is now laying around neck-less sadly! Plus, I want black tuners to finish it off.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I like the black hardware too; meant to say that before. I’m not usually a maple fretboard guy but it really pops on that instrument. Sometimes black hardware on brightly colored instruments looks kind of early 80s/Don Johnson/Miami Vice to me, but this combination comes across as ageless and tasteful to my eye.

Hope to hear sound clips at some point.

Also...how’d my capo end up at your house? I’ve been looking for that thing forever!

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I love the look of that--that is a great project to do with your son. My Dad isn't a player but he has helped me build/a few guitars and it is one of my favorite things to do.

Those WRHB looking pickups look really cool. Are they WRHB sized or normal humbucker sized?

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Thanks! I figured you meant that in a kind way on the color.
    I don’t know, have all kinds of capos I find every time we have moved! They seem to multiply. Come grab one anytime, I need a good jam about now.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

That’s awesome your father helps! Especially if he’s not a player. Was hoping this would interest my little one more. Someday be his guitar.

The Surf 180 are standard size humbuckers with a2 magnets. I actually quite like them so far (being a whole day). I also liked that they somewhat resemble the original WRHB!
    https://www.guitarfetish.com/Surf-180-WhiteChrome_p_36942.html

crazydave911 and bendercaster like this.
  8. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

I’ll record some better actual demos of the guitar, but used it for this track exclusively. Neck pickup on the leads and bridge for rhythm. Was happy with the tone for DI recording. https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/vkLpL6bZ6NRHV8nL8

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

very nice! Great father and son project too!

10. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I have Surf 90s in a guitar and really like them a lot. I'm going to have to try the Surf 180s.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  11. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

I read somebody comparing the Surf 90 to a Ric HiGain and that got me to try the 180. My favorite two guitars are my Ric 620 and the vintage Thinline. I also love a good P90, so was hoping these might fall somewhere in there! I think they fit the bill perfect. Have to mess with heights some still, but have a good start!

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I am a big fan of black hardware. My first guitar was black hardware on natural finish body.

I have had good luck with some GFS pickups. I like the retrotrons and if I remember correctly, the lil punchers aint bad.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  13. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

My first nice guitar was an 80’s Ric 610, midnight blue with black hardware and trim. Also the donor of the strap holders, sold the guitar many years back in a bad move. So I’m with you on black hardware at times!

Was my first GFS purchase and I’m pretty pleased. Was slow to ship, but it does say to give extra time on bodies. Everything is decent quality and worked out nice.

These pickups remind me of DeArmlnd 2k pickups I had in one of the DeArmond Starfire guitars, which I always loved the sound of.

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

79DF7111-26CC-4D11-B1CD-03DE8977D6C1.jpeg 2CCD040B-58BC-4D8E-AF14-F67B42B6B547.jpeg 71B92A3F-A916-4FDF-8489-235B8F2AF8B1.jpeg Update. Knobs and jack cup came today. Of course pushing the cup in I put some cracks in the finish. Should have just sanded it a little bigger! Lesson learned the hard way I guess.

I’m digging the sound. Playing it back to back with the vintage Thinline I have on long term loan it makes me feel less inclined to spend that much on it. They sound slightly different, but probably not enough that an audience would likely ever know. Also could be attributed to the semi hollow vs solid bodies. The Thinline is just a little more “airy” sounding. Either way, I’m totally happy with this especially when considering what it cost to build!

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I don't remember the Surf 180s having the 3x3 fat poles. Did they change them, or am I mixing them up with Dream 180s? Whatever, I love that look in black.

16. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

The Surf 180’s I think are fairly new. I bet you’re thinking the Dream 180’s, which I’d also love to try.

Thanks! I dig the black too. I wouldn’t have chosen that red, but my son made me get out of my comfort zone by choosing it!

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That looks like close to the same setup that Darrell Braun recently put together and demoed on the 'Tube. Different pickups.

I have the Dream 180s in my BroBuild, if my memory serves correctly.

18. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Nice! It’s a solid setup. I can’t wait to get it a dedicated neck.

the Dream 180’s were my second choice! I bet they sound fabulous.

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I'm glad to hear that someone besides me likes GFS pickups. I have had some mixed results, but that's true of most of the brands that I have tried.
    Now you gotta teach the young'un to play that sweetheart.

TeleUpNorth and crazydave911 like this.
  20. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

He strums at least. He better learn, all my gear will one day be his!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.