1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

tele cut vs humbucker cut

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by brightlight, Feb 16, 2016.

1. brightlight

brightlight Tele-Meister

Hi guys in haven't posted here in a while but thought this might be the place to ask this question. So I've got myself a beautiful Dakota red/black pick guard t-style from Ron Kirn that I've had for about 4-5 years now. I love this guitar to death, it's the perfect tele for me. I got back when I was in a pop country band along with my dr z. Z wreck.

Now I play in an outlaw country/blues rock band and I've been doing some deep searching for the appropriate tone. Bottom line is I don't know if a tele with single coils cuts it for this type of music. I just feel that single coils don't give the kind of drive, cut, and thickness this style of music usually calls for.

Anyway lately I've been thinking a 335 might be the way to go. Why am I posting this in the telecaster section of TDPRI? Because I know there's a strong bias for the tele here and I'm looking for some support to sticking with the tele and other'other's experiences with switching guitars like this. Being a tele player my entire career i may also be looking for some affirmation about it "being ok" to play different guitars...biased thoughts, opinions, and experiences are welcome :)

2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

get an EQ pedal?

perhaps there are pedals in your future? that or a P90 or PAF

tele is a good platform

3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Thicker single coil sound? How about a 4 way switch with some hotter type pickups that will benefit from the additional series position?

Plenty of good rail type pickups too.

Sounds like a good excuse to buy another guitar.

4. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Turn mids up, treble down.

More mids at the tonestack will fatten up the guitar, along with turning the treble down. Using more mids also means less gain loss, because a typical amp tonestack is passive, meaning it can only cut signal. More mids will fatten up a single coil guitar as well as give it more 'push'

And EQ could work well too, but start at the amp, IMO.

5. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

You are curious. Go for it and decide which one you like better. Nobody else can choose for you because it is totally subjective.

It's a fun process....enjoy!

6. TB72

TB72 Tele-Holic

Cabronita!

7. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Waylon handled outlaw country just fine with a Tele

8. roeg

roeg Tele-Meister

The N3's in my Deluxe Ash Tele's give me the drive,midrange and thickness i'm more accustomed to with my Lespauls.The A5 alnicos give nice bite on the top end.Plus since they are stacked coils(humbuckers),they will be much quieter onstage than traditional single coils.So another tele with N3's...or maybe the new N4's?

9. Lazer

Lazer Tele-Meister

I have never been able to make single coils sound as fat a full size humbuckers. I don't think it's physically possible. A humbucker reads more string. And vice versa, a humbucker don't sound like a single coil. The bottom line is I need booth.

Cheers
    L-zr

10. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I use single coils for one band and have a couple of Les Pauls for when I want that thicker sound with a different group. Or sometimes I just switch back & forth.

Nothing wrong with that if it works for you - everyone should have 2 IMO. One of my Les Pauls has coil-splitting and hot pickups, one has Seymour Duncan Jazz & JB for a more classic sound.

I can get pretty close to a 335 sound on the vintage LP with those pickups - can't be duplicated with a tele really.

11. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Try a ~2000pF cap to ground. Alternatively, you could wire 2 single coils in series.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Daaaannnng!

A Tele bridge pickup won't do nasty snarling angry screaming distortion?
    I'll have to go check my Esquires to see what the heck is making that noise.

HBs and 335s do smooth creamy pretty well behaved tones better, though you can get some nasty tones out of them too.
    If you just want thicker you can make a Tele do that too, but maybe I'm just not picturing the sound you're looking for.
    What bridge pickup is in your Kirn now?
    Just a thought, maybe try your wreck through different speakers?
    Switching from Celestion Golds to G12M20s makes my Esquires much more thick and woody sounding. The 20, not the 25.

13. brightlight

brightlight Tele-Meister

I'm not sure. It's a custom wound one that ron made.

Thanks for the opinions so far everyone. Messing with the pickups in the kirn is not an option. I don't want to change this guitar one bit, it's perfect how it is at what it does.

I guess it's just that thickness and fullness that some people mentioned. Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy another guitar. Having been only a player of telecaster I guess I just feel like I'm betraying my roots and I'm trying to justify it

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Led Zeppelin's first two albums were recorded with a Telecaster, long before there were aftermarket pickups available. One of the tricks is to roll the tone control back to about seven or eight to shave off the high end. Bump up the gain (or add an overdrive) and midrange on the amp, and you're in business.

15. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Tele-Holic

16. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I love the Tele form factor, but I lean more toward full-bodied brightness of tone, rather than thin, bright-piercing trebles. How to achieve this?

I bought a stripped-down American Standard Mystic Red Tele body (which has a humbucker size routing in the neck position) a Fender Tele Baja '60s Rosewood board neck, and a Les Paul style toggle switch pickup selector.

[​IMG]

Then I installed a Dimarzio PAF Master humbucker at the neck position and a Cavalier Fat Lion Tele bridge pickup (known for being a warm, fat, full-tone Tele pickup) using '50s wiring scheme. The combination gives a fantastic variety of rich, full, and fat-bright tones. I absolutely love the variety of sounds I get from this tone-monster guitar.

[​IMG]

You might just try out this combination of pickups, which can get tones suitable to a wide variety of musical styles.

Another variation on the Tele theme, in keeping with a preference for full, fat, and still bright tonality, is the Tele Cabronita Thinline. In this case I bought a loaded Cabronita Thinline body and mated it with a Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele rosewood board neck. Again, awesome, fun bodied, yet bright tones from this very lightweight and enjoyable-to-play guitar:

[​IMG]

And yet one more Tele variant that I love... the Tele Blacktop guitar. In this, I installed two Gibson Classic '57 pickups (I LOVE the sound of these in a Les Paul), went with the '50s wiring scheme, and a Les-Paul style pick up selector switch. Another fantastic sound, full-bodied Tele.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.