1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Controls/Wiring vs Tele Thinline Controls/Wiring

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by pikers, Jan 19, 2021.

1. pikers

pikers TDPRI Member

Hi all,

Long time "lurker", first time actually joining and posting. This is probably a basic/noob question, so be gentle :)

I'm looking at making my own Tele body and I was wondering if the "regular" Tele bodes and the Thinline Tele bodies share the same controls/electronics. Obviously they are both volume/tone/3-way switch, but are they interchangeable? I ask because the pick guards are so different, not sure if I could simply pop the pickups/pots/switch/wiring out of one put it in another.

Any help is appreciated.

2. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Other than the pickguard should all be the same under the hood! Love a nice Thinline though.

pikers likes this.
  3. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The basic components are the same BUT if you buy a standard pre-wired harness (I've been buying pre-wired harness from a guy in Ukraine as his harnesses comprise top quality components, PIO capacitors, CTS pots and switches for less than I can buy the components, even though I can solder) it won't fit as the pot spacings are different.

It gets quite busy between the pots, whereas a standard wiring harness has more space between the pots.

Good luck. :)

Attached Files:

pikers and TeleUpNorth like this.
  4. pikers

pikers TDPRI Member

Thanks! Yeah, me too. I really have a thing for the thinline teles. I'm torn between the CV 60 or CV 70 thinline, I feel like you can't go wrong either way.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  5. pikers

pikers TDPRI Member

Ah, very interesting and thanks for the images, I see what you mean.

I'm planning on building a tele body with my dad (he's a fine furniture maker) and I was wondering if I could gut a CV thinline and put the parts in a standard tele and then I will upgrade the parts in the thinline. It will basically be a organ donor :)

6. PeterUK

Ah, I see what you're trying to do.

The upgraded parts into your hand-built body shouldn't be an issue and if you plan to buy a pre-wired harness make sure it's spaced correctly.

One issue if using quality pots such as Bourne or CTS is that the holes in the pickguard may be smaller and will need opening up with a reamer.

Taking the Thinline components into a normal Tele is not too much of a challenge but bear in mind the Squier components are lower quality: crappy switches, cheap pots and low quality wiring. To space the pots to a normal Tele you may need to snip and lengthen the wiring between the pots, including the capacitor and don't forget to check the holes in the controlplate. Squiers as mentioned above have smaller diameter threaded bodies so make sure the controlplate has 'import' diameter holes.

I borrowed a picture of a Squier harness from eBay. Compare this to the harness I posted above.

FYI, pictures of the build are mandatory!

Good luck! :)

Attached Files:

pikers likes this.
  7. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

I absolutely love the 76 Thinline I’ve had for a couple years. It finds its way onto almost every track I record at home.

pikers likes this.
  8. PeterUK

This one is mine. It has a Warmoth baritone neck and it TWANGS! :)

Attached Files:

TeleUpNorth and pikers like this.
  9. pikers

pikers TDPRI Member

A wealth of info. Thanks again!

Oh, and I'll be sure to share pics of the build. Hopefully I'll get to this soon.

PeterUK likes this.
  10. pikers

pikers TDPRI Member

Dang! That's a beauty!

PeterUK likes this.
  11. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Thinline and sold Tele of the era shared pickups and electronics. 1 meg pots were standard but many people consider them icepick bright with singles.

If you're building one from scratch, I'd use 250k pots, a .047 or .050uf tone cap. Honestly, apart from looks and bragging rights a .02c mylar cap works as well as a $20 oil in paper fancy-schmancy one no-one can see but no fouil.

It's worth putting 4-way or 5-way superswitch in. The four-way let's you Keef it up.

And either a treble bleed or the 'Fezz Parker' mod.

Possibly, consider a no-load tone.pot if you twiddle while playing.

Here's my 96 MIM I bought in GC San Francisco in 1997. IMG_20200711_181049.jpg

pikers likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.