1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele colour fretboard combos (rare?)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JohnnyKRed, Oct 9, 2020.

1. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

Hello, posting because I have a 2017 tele pro and I can hardly find one other single example of the colour and fretboard combo I have for this guitar (It was bought used). I saw one other example of this combo online but it’s now gone. It’s candy apple red with a rosewood fretboard. When registered with fender it came up as being a maple fingerboard for that model/serial number (although they said it was just a system error when I asked). All examples I find of CAR pros have maple fingerboard except for some special reissues/models. Anyway is it possible that this is a rare one off? Looking in the catalog for 2017 candy apple red was not even listed as a colour option for the pro tele. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John

2. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

They've traditionally been pretty casual combining parts.
    Likely it was an accidental pairing.

Still, that doesn't make it any less rare - there might only be a few out there.

If it were a special order, Fender would have a record of that.

3. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated!

4. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

If I'm understanding this correctly the serial number off of the rosewood neck came back as maple when you checked with Fender, but their response was it was system error?

And when you checked said serial number off the neck it came back with a CAR color body?

Maybe the CAR body was a leftover from a previous year when that color was offered? Fender historically has been known for blending a series from one year into the next when a particular color, series or part was changed or discontinued.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  5. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

Thanks, yes the model number indicated a maple board. Actually I don’t see a pro model number in the list with a rosewood board and CAR (based on a Scan of a list of the models provided by fender). As I understand it 2017 was the first year for the pro.

6. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Would be interesting to see what colors were offered the previous year for whatever series the Pro replaced (American Standard, right?) and what colors they offered the previous year for that series.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  7. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

Yep, they don't waste anything. Using leftover parts from an earlier production run on whatever they're building at the moment has been SOP at Fender since the beginning.

This has yielded some interesting & unusual guitars over the years. But - along with the modular nature of Fender's designs - it also sometimes makes identification by serial number challenging.

JohnnyKRed and TwangerWannabe like this.
  8. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

Thanks again for your thoughts. Thinking it is likely just the fretboard that is out of place (looks like some models came with only maple or rose for fingerboards, and some with both options), so maybe they just popped the rosewood on instead of the maple by accident or to use something up? The CAR body was added later That year which explains it not being in the catalog. The CAR pro does not have a model # available with the rosewood option (based on a list of specs). I do now believe that it is a rare combo for the professional model, having dug into it some more and with your comments in mind. Thanks!! Much appreciated! John

9. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

Thanks. Yeah, no model number exists for the combo I mentioned above. Don’t think it was any kind of special order either as it just came from a music store originally. Kind of a cool thing that it happened. Thanks for your thoughts! John

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  10. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Actually the American Professional came out in December 2016, and Fender started production of them (switching from American Standards) around September-ish 2016 so there would be product in the pipeline for the official introduction the first week of December.

Further Fender serial numbers run from roughly March to March - so US16 numbers were used on American Professionals until March 2017, then US17s were used March 2017 to March 2018.

Candy Apple Red was not an original color but it started fairly soon after the introduction - either July 2017 or January 2018. And either way the first of the CARs would have a US17 serial number even if it was built in early 2018.

I do recall CAR being on Fender's website with both maple and rosewood as an option at some point during the run; what I can't remember is whether that was all the way through the run (after adding CAR) or if that was just 2019/2020.

11. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I'm surprised that no one has suggested that, since the guitar was bought used, there is the possibility that the original owner swapped the neck from another guitar. Happens more than one would think. :cool:

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think it is a mule.

There's instances (for example, postage stamps and coins with "errors") where the mistake is worth a ton of money. But that's IMO not true with FMIC products. They've made so many mules, over the years, plus you can "simulate" a mule so easily, as Joe says,

JohnnyKRed likes this.
  13. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  14. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

Excellent info! Thanks!

15. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

Some very good thoughts on this. Thanks for the interest. Serial number is from neck so the neck is correctly indicating candy apple red but not the rosewood (rather maple). Impressed by the knowledge about production timelines John C. Thanks! I’m in total agreement with the Mule theory. Not worth anything more, but different! Thanks! Wonder if specific combos e.g rosewood and candy apple red are intentionally reserved for deluxe, reissue etc? That’s a theory I have had regarding the most iconic colours being reserved for the more top of the line models. Thanks all!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.