Tele clarity with humbucker growl?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by digitalMagnetics, Apr 30, 2021.

1. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

There is a topic here that really needs to be discussed and that is scale length. The SG (and most Gibsons) use a 24.75" scale length. Telecasters and Stratocasters use a 25.5" scale length. The longer scale/string length of the Fender requires a higher string tension to get the same notes. This is a MAJOR factor of what gives Fender their clarity compared to Gibsons. You will never get this sound out of your SG.

When I read the OP, the first thing I though of was P-90's until I read that you tried and didn't care for them. I am willing to bet that the P-90's you tried were in a Gibson and not a Fender. I believe the guitar you are looking for is a Telecaster with P-90's.

I built a Telecaster with GFS Mean 90's and it is one of my favorites for the reasons you mention. The Mean 90's have a Humbucker form factor so if I ever wanted to swap them out with Humbuckers, I could. Look for a MIM or Squier Tele that has humbuckers and swap them out with P-90's. (While your at it, upgrade the jack, pots, and switches if you are able). The GFS Mean 90's have a very good reputation on this forum.

mandofrog and scook like this.
  2. Bitoblues

Bitoblues TDPRI Member

Check out the Bare Knuckle Piledriver set. Bridge pickup packs a punch at full whack but rolls back for more typical tele tones.

Coupled with a 4 way or 5 way could be cool

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm fortunate to have the best of both worlds. I built this surf green beast 12 years ago. It has a volume knob and a 3-way switch:

[​IMG]

This one's a factory guitar and it's bit more complicated (too many switches and knobs), but it is a tone machine:

[​IMG]

Ron C likes this.
  4. Racing Stripes

Racing Stripes TDPRI Member

To get more of the humbucker growl, I just picked up an LP Special with P-90s. So far I am pleased, the P-90s are great. Check them out. I understand their fans, the P-90s definitely have the growl I wanted.

Other reactions FWIW - I prefer the more Tele-like LP Special body to my thicker and noticeably heavier LP Standard. The LP Special neck is chunky compared to my Fenders, it's Gibson's '50s style. I prefer my Fender necks, they feel quicker but that wasn't a deal breaker for me. If Gibson's aren't your thing, I'm sure you could find a Tele with a P-90s. That might give you the best of both worlds.

Cheers.

5. gkmacdonald

gkmacdonald TDPRI Member

Perhaps what you are looking for might be found through effects and amp settings. EQ settings can do wonderful things.

MilwMark likes this.
  6. Gunter

Gunter NEW MEMBER!

So I was trying to achieve the same thing with my telemaster a few years back; I tried several different bridge pickups and wirings and finally landed on this. Using a lil 59 in the bridge with 500k pots BUT when I split it for single coil, it comes up from ground through a 500k (473k?) resistor. The single coil sounds great and the humbucker sounds like it’s supposed to.

7. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You mentioned the Lindy Fralin Sunbucker, and I think it'll give you what you're looking for. I was looking for a similar sound, humbuckers for a little more oomph (I had always been a single coil guy) but still had the clarity that I love in single coils. The Sunbuckers really are fantastic. They keep the snap of sc but have the girth of hb. I had them in a hh tele, but I like to swap pickups around in my guitars, so they now reside in a PRS SE semi hollow. That guitar was way too dark for my taste, but the Sunbuckers really brought it to life. Especially since I used 500k pots. The Fralin website says since the SB kinda straddles the line between hb and sc you can use either 250 or 500k pots, but I preferred the 500k to give it more sparkle. You can just roll the tone down if needed. Good luck!

8. kjatexas

kjatexas Tele-Meister

I've got a Tele with a CuNiFe humbucker in the neck, made by Telenator, (no longer in business). You might try one of the new Fender CuNiFe pickups. I have 1meg pots in mine, as Telenator recommended them for the best sound with their pickup. That's a Fender Broadcaster Pickup in the bridge.

WRHB Tele.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  9. Gunter

Gunter NEW MEMBER!

I also used a 5 way switch. Bridge HB, HB and neck, single, single and neck, neck

mandofrog and Ron C like this.
  10. Bluzzjazz

Bluzzjazz TDPRI Member

If you want HBs with clarity, I had a Lollar Mini HBs put in my Novo Serus J, they ring like a bell. Also, you could always pick up a Dusenburg Grand Vintage HB. I have that in a Star Player TV and it’s a phenomenal pup. Lambertone Cremas have nice clarity as well.

NoTeleBob likes this.
  11. OmegaFauna

OmegaFauna TDPRI Member

Of course, I was going to say p90, however, I’m currently building a guitar with a humbucker sized p90 in the neck (supposed to sound slightly darker than a standard p90) and a humbucker in the bridge. I keep seeing people and know a couple who swear by this combo and we all play essentially the styles you speak of. I’m excited to try it, so I can’t really vouch for it yet. But may be something to research for yourself. Good luck!

12. soneedaze

soneedaze TDPRI Member

13. Z-Guyeezz

Z-Guyeezz NEW MEMBER!

Player Series HH. Put a TV Jones Classic Plus in the bridge and a Classic in the neck position. Good clarity.
    A2EA85A5-8FC8-4A6D-8ACB-E64063150458.jpeg

14. Autofocused

Autofocused TDPRI Member

15. soneedaze

soneedaze TDPRI Member

I have an American HS from '05, I think. Last year, I replaced the neck humbucker with a Wide Range Humbucker from Revel. It rocks! I gave up the series switch. Totally worth it. Highly recommended.

16. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

There is a lot of truth to this, but guitars multi-faceted systems, so scale length is not the sole determinant of clarity. I have a Gretsch 5620t with a Blacktop Filtertron in the bridge and Super Hilo’Tron in the neck. It has a 24.6” scale length, so even shorter than Gibson. But that guitar has as much clarity and jangle as any guitar I’ve played, including strats and teles.

17. hectors-bell

hectors-bell Tele-Meister

I have barden Modern Ts in one of mine, that can hit a pretty broad spectrum as well as jack ur car up!
    Just another avenue to walk down

18. Hooked

Hooked TDPRI Member

Must check out this guitar. I just saw one, and as all reviews say, its pics don’t do it justice. Read the reviews, it sounds like what you are looking for!
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...caster-2-tone-sunburst-with-maple-fingerboard

19. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

That was my suggestion. Mini HB's are bright and clear. OTOH, if you want some growl, crank them with a little boost and you have HB growl.

20. douguitar

douguitar TDPRI Member

The very first guitar I assembled in 1986 was a "do it all" gigging guitar. Warmoth Strat alder body, Telecaster neck (because I found a deal on one - now has a Strat neck) Duncan JB in the bridge with a toggle coil tap and a Fender Strat neck pickup. Using 500k tone and volume pots and a treble bleed circuit. Y=It was essential to use the tone control, but I like that. It could handle everything from punk thrash to clean blues, super versatile, and a real work horse. Still have it, although equipped with a Strat neck now....And forgive my first attempt at a sunburst spray job!
    DSC02305.JPG

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    chris m. likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.