1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele cases.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mechanic, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Looking for a case for my new to me Cabby. GC didn't supply one with my used purchase. Looking at the Kirchen speced , plush lined case all up in your face. Not even looking at a gig bag. Looked at GC and MF inexpensive tweed and black tolex and the Fender cheapie cases. ABS shells would be good if I was a pro, I'm not. What are you using and how do you like it? Pics are nice. Where did you buy yours,

2. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I was lucky enough to snag a few cases off Cl years ago. They all do the job, including the MF and GC brands. SKB and Gator are good as well. Not a big fan of tweed cases because they fray and age with use and travel. For convenience, I like having a hard foam shell gig bag with backpack straps and a few pockets, but I haven't found any hard shells to avoid. The G&G cases are nice, but I don't think they make enough of a difference to justify the additional cost - there are better ways to spend your money.

3. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

I like the Gator ATA cases. I feel like I get more functional protection than tweedy, fancy cases. I could throw my tele down the stairs in the Gator and not have a heart attack.

4. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

I've had a couple of Access cases -- the AC1EG1, which you can get for under $100 does the job. I've also had the more expensive AC3EG11 -- but I got it cheaply off the floor at a GC (if I remember).

5. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

If you play out at all... a cheapish ABS case will give good service and peace of mind. The tweed/tolex type are perfectly acceptable but wear more obviously...relicing, if you like that sort of thing:) I have a wide selection of cases but guitars usually leave the house in an SKB or Hiscox ABS shell. Form-fitting cases take up less space in my car- which is sometimes a consideration.
    As a household solution- protection from dust, dogs and daughters- you don't need to open your wallet very wide- just choose something that pleases you, aesthetically.

6. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Guitar Fetish has some very good deals

I recently bought the Linen model for a Tele @ $69.00

Happy New Year

Gary

7. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

I like the Musicians Gear ABS cases. Rondo also has some good cases including a tweed thermometer case.

8. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

ABS with TSA locks is the way to go if you think you ever might fly and can't make yourself trust a gig bag (I don't have qualms about that anymore).

I have had the Fender case (tho' it went with the Strat to a friend). SKB FS6 looks good for about $100.

I have toted a wooden case around enough to know they're heavy and add little if any protection. Nice if you never go anywhere, or maybe what your guitar came in, but I'd not buy one these days.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

CL often has cases and gig bags listed for low money so check there.

Enjoyed the video at Hiscox Thanks! They are doing the right things/thinking right. Such as in-mold affixing of the fabric with urethane rather than adhesive, the inner metal flange to attached hardware to. I do engineering in automotive and have had some similar projects to design through. I have one of those 'other' cases I got with a used guitar buy and I saw the same design error in affixing to the plastic as they show in their competitor example, since the outer shell broke out at one of the latches for the previous owner. A repair I need to do after I repair the guitar inside it.

10. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

11. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

I have several of the Road Runner Polyfoam cases, and they are great, one I bought new ($59), the other two used for about $25 or so. Kaces makes a similar model that is a smidge more padded, and has backpack straps. The nice thing about the polyfoam, is it really insulated the guitar from the outside world (more $$). I've taken a guitar on a ride to my sisters out of state in the summer, and the inside of the RR foam case is not hot when I arrived (I unzip a smidge to allow to equalize upon arrival). I gave the Kaces model to my brother, who has flown with (and checked) it several times with no damage to his Strat. If I know the trip is going to be more hazardous, I break out the Road Runner ABS case ($119 new, got mine for $40 at Music go round). This case is indestructible thus far, has an excellent lock, and a nice Velcro neck strap in the middle (though no covered compartments). I originally thought the gray interior on mine was smoke or sun faded, then I saw a new one... EXACTLY the same color (not pretty, but functional. The downside is, it doesn't protect from the outside temp well compared to the polyfoam cases.

12. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

I don't mind buying used cases, as long as they are not smoke or animal pee exposed.

13. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I dig the GATOR GW-ELEC-VIN Deluxe Wood Electric Guitar Case - Vintage Brown

14. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I have one of these that came with a used Danocaster.. I prefer a good gig bag to a hard case but out of the hard cases I've had this is probably my favorite. Also like the gator ATA type cases.

I bought a Guitar Fetish Aluminum case a few years ago.. That's really fantastic but I believe it's been discontinued because it wasn't TSA approved.

15. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks xtrajerry! I ve loved this since I first saw it, but never really tested.
    Your answer is really helpful, now I just have to buy a new guitar to justify the case ;-)

The only complaint I may have is that it doesn't seem to have a pocket inside to stock a set of strings or some picks.

In any case it is sooo nice :twisted:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  16. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think mono cases are worth a look if you reconsider a gig bag. They're expensive, but they offer the protection of a hard case and the convenience of a gig bag.

17. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have the Vertigo Electric btw...

18. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Gator Vintage Brown.. mmmmm...

19. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the suggestions? I'm in nostalgic mode right now and looking for a tweed or tolex covered plywood case. I'll be puruseing CL and a few pawn shops before I pull the trigger on a new case. I do currently use a gig bag on my Squier Std. But I'd like a hard case for it as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.