1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Bullet vs. Affinity

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by EchoEchord, Apr 25, 2014.

1. EchoEchord

EchoEchord TDPRI Member

Just wondering if people who have experience with both would care to weigh in.

I'm getting ready to pounce on my first electric guitar and I've pretty much made up my mind to get the Squier Bullet Telecaster (in July, when the metallic orange is available again).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-bullet-hs-telecaster-electric-guitar

I know there are better guitars out there, but I've read mostly good reports about this one and the price is definitely right for a beginner on a budget, like myself. If I develop some decent skills, I'm sure I'll upgrade later. But for now, I don't want to invest too heavily. Plus, the Bullet has a combination of pickups that I'm not likely to get in my next guitar. And for the price, I won't be as reluctant to try my hand at mods.

On the other hand, the Affinity has been "around" a lot more, so its qualities seem to be pretty well-known. It's also available at most retailers, including Sweetwater, whereas the Bullet appears to be an exclusive Musician's Friend / Guitar Center model.

I'm just wondering if it's worth spending the extra $50 for the Affinity, or should I hold out for the Bullet.

Thanks!
    -Brian

2. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Affinity. If you're buying a tele, it may as well have the best part of a tele - its bridge pickup.

3. TheOneFatGuy

TheOneFatGuy Tele-Afflicted

I agree with this. I played an Affinity, and I was very surprised at how good it was.

If you're going to buy a telecaster, perhaps it would be better to grab one with a more traditional pickup combination. It would be a shame to buy the Bullet, and buy a Baja or MIM based on your experience with it. The Affinity would be a great gateway to the tele world, whereas the Bullet would not, based purely on pickup combination

4. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Yup. Affinity. I tried both out side bu side. I was not impressed with the fit and finish on the bullet, also the neck did not feel anywhere near as nice as my affinity. Furthermore, the Affinity with it's more tele desing is nicely upgradable with standard parts. Not the bullet.

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Afflicted

There is really nothing wrong with the bullet... BUT, if you want a "Telecaster" for your first guitar, the Affinity really fits the bill more, tonally (the HS bullet is cool, but not really traditional "tele", especially in the bridge and bridge/mid positions)

6. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

All of the bullets I have played in stores have been absolute crap. Affinities, on the other hand, are good guitars. I own two of them. I would definitely go with an Affinity.

7. hoserton

hoserton Tele-Meister

+1

8. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Buy used on Craigslist and either save money or get you a better guitar.

9. EchoEchord

EchoEchord TDPRI Member

That was my original plan, and I haven't ruled it out. But I've been watching my local CL for good deals for the last several weeks and haven't found anything decent in my price range. There have been a few Affinities, but for what they're asking, I could just pay a little more for a new one and at least get a warranty.

Maybe something will come up while I'm getting the money together.

10. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on the very nice looking tele! What model Squier is that? Is it the new Affinity?

11. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

He hasn't bought one yet.

I have never tried one of the new Bullets so I can't say anything other than the color is nice. I have an Affinity and agree that they can be very playable, good guitars... but my main advice is to play as many Teles as you can get your hands on before you make any decisions. Ideally you buy one you've had the opportunity to try first. The guitar will speak to you. Doesn't matter what it says on the headstock.

The tele chooses you. A good one will teach you stuff. When you pick it up and play something you didn't know you knew how to play, that's the one you want to take home.

12. mg426

mg426 Tele-Holic

I played a friends Bullet..Was not to impressed..may have
    just been his setup..Or it just did not agree with me..Dont know..?? I have played several affinitys and found them all to be very decent players..??

13. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

Something just feels right about the Affinity, and its one great modding platform, for better pickups, bridge , so on and so forth.....

14. stephenyi

stephenyi Tele-Meister

I compared the bullet tele with an affinity tele at a local GC this past winter. I thought the bullet was the better guitar with better hardware, string through, slightly thicker and lighter body, and better finished neck (not to mention it was less expensive). The bullet was made in Indonesia vs the affinity which was made in China if that makes a difference. Of course, the bullet is routed for a humbucker in the bridge position, so if you're looking for a traditional tele, the affinity may be a better bet.

15. The Little Guy

The Little Guy Tele-Meister

I have the bullet. I like it, but it's my first tele. My brother bought a standard tele a few years ago, and I like mine more. That being said, it looks like a tele, but has a hb in the bridge and is routed for a hb at the neck.

I agree with the guy above who said to play as many as possible. Buying online is 50/50 IMHO. You never know how it's going to feel or sound.

16. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Tele-Meister

The way to buy a bullet is have a good luthier in your pocket. The affinity is okay, but not a stellar instrument. The bullet with a humbucker gives you a much better bridge pickup. The affinity bridge pickup is really screechy.

Set the intonation, check string height with a guage, adjust the truss. All of that comes haphazard from Indonesia. Then have the luthier file the fret edges. Takes him 20 minutes to do that.

The whole job cost me $30 and now I have perfectly good guitar for less than $170 taxes inc.

17. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Affinity pickup screechy? Mine was plain dull. How many have you tried?

18. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

19. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Affinity all the way.

20. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.