Tele Build with Issues

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by 4ener, Jan 15, 2020.

1. 4ener

4ener TDPRI Member

First let me say that I'm not new at this, but it's some 20 years since I build my last one.

That being said, I have a body and that fit very well together; the bridge is installed and in line with the neck. When the strings are being tuned, there's no clear lifting of the strings off the bottom of the neck, they just seem to lie there. I've read the mags and gone online to see if there was something I've missed in the process and frankly I'm dumbfounded as I've never seen this before. I've tried adjusting the neck relief, bridge springs and whatnot, nothing seems to get the strings off the neck. Other than installing another neck and trying again assuming the neck is nonfunctional, I'm looking for suggestions on what to try next.

All comments welcome......

The Angry Possum likes this.
  2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

You need to shim the neck pocket. A 1/2" wide piece of card stock at the headstock end of the pocket will change the neck angle.

3. Stratospheric

Stratospheric TDPRI Member

Sounds like you will need to work on the neck pocket. Are the saddles adjusted high? Is there any neck relief with the strings at tension?

4. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Kmise necks are well known for this issue. Use a fake credit card as a shim that you would get in tge mail etc.and cut a 1/4 piece off of it. Works like a charm.
    neckshim.gif

Treadplatedual likes this.
  5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

A typical neck is 1" tall in a 5/8" neck pocket with a standard fender tele bridge. Find out where the issue is and make the needed corrections. It sounds like either the neck it taller or the neck cavity isn't deep enough. It would be easier to lower the neck cavity. Putting a shim in front of the neck pocket ( not the rear) would be a half fast fix.

Vibrolux59 and mistermikev like this.
  6. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Meister

This could be a stupid question, but is the neck pocket deep enough?

7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

Can you post pictures? These angles?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Treadplatedual and ale.istotle like this.
  8. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I had a similar issue.

I bought an "Eden" neck online several years ago. I had a strat body and had fitted everything together and the strings would not get above the fret board no matter how high I raised the saddles.
    I went back and checked everything on the assembly and was dumbfounded as to what I had done wrong. I was looking at my drawings and the neck pocket depth of 5/8" stood out to me. I took the guitar apart, checked the neck pocket depth and found it was 9/16" deep. Apparently my plunge router plunged less than I thought if would. Then I had a thought to measure the neck as it was a nice baseball type carve, and sure enough it was a 1/16" thicker at the heel than my other necks. So between those two issues I was 1/8" taller than I should have been.

I decided to not mess with the neck (I loved the chunky feel and it was already finished) so I routed my neck pocket to 11/16" in depth. I put the guitar back together and it worked like a charm.

9. 4ener

4ener TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the responses they all make some sense. I'll do some measuring to determine the problem and will post again when I get the issue resolved.

10. 4ener

4ener TDPRI Member

Freeman, thanks for the links........

The neck pad is too thick, it rises above the pocket enough to make the up the difference. Not all necks are created equal!!!!! I'm lucky to still have my combo edge/spindle sander, it should make for a pretty quick fix.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.