1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Build - Let the Fun Begin

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Drum Strummer, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Drum Strummer

Drum Strummer TDPRI Member

Tele Build - Tuners are installed

Every time I work on my Tele Build it gets better and better. Now that it looks like a guitar - I feel like I actually did something.

This morning I installed some vintage tuners. I used masking tape to create the staright line to line them up and drilled the holes with a "tape ring" depth gauge on my drill bit. All in all they lined up pretty well.

Attached Files:

2. Bellybuster

Bellybuster Tele-Meister

Lookin good, how about Blackastor

3. Drum Strummer

Tele Build - Bridge installed

Thanks to the "dry fit" of the kit prior to the finishing process the bridge installed with no issues.

The pick guard and controls fit like a glove. Tonight I'll fit the neck and make any necessary final adjustments to the pick guard. With any luck (and time) I'll have her fully assembled this weekend.

Of course she'll get one more final polish with Meguiar's when I'm done.

Attached Files:

4. Drum Strummer

Neck, meet body. Body, neck.

Woo Hoo - it's a match made in heaven (or at least on my work table).

I have now introduced the neck and the body. It's a good snug fit. I am pleased with how it sits in the pocket but need to do a little trim work on the body where it meets the neck on the horn side. The edge is not perpendicular to the neck so it looks a little sloppy. A quick file, sand, stain and lacquer and it should be good to go.

More pics to follow.

Attached Files:

5. Drum Strummer

Neck Pickup - docking sequence complete.

I sanded, I polished, I drop filled, I sand some more and I buffed. Finally...

Ladies and gentlemen, I present my neck pickup. It fits. It fits in my pick guard and the pickguard fits on the body.

Granted, this is guitar assembly 101 for most members but for me it's been a great learning curve. Now that I'm an expert at, "oh well, sand it back and start again" I'm going to take a shot at making a second pick guard just to see how quickly it goes.

Attached Files:

6. Drum Strummer

The jack cup is installed. Thanks Terry Downs (and the other members)!

I made the tool recommended on the forum and it worked like a charm. I have one more polish / buffing and it's time for the final assembly.

7. Drum Strummer

Ferrule holes all lined up

Finally, my ferrule holes are all lined up. I also had to spend quite a bit of time getting them to the correct depth (no drill press) but I think I have it.

All the ferrules should now line up nice and straight and be at the same height.

Now all I have to do is polish it out and it will be ready for assembly.

Attached Files:

8. Drum Strummer

FINISHED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The day has finally come. My first telecaster build (from a kit) is completed.

I just finished it moments ago. I'm going to string it up in the morning and (with any luck) get it set-up by the afternoon.

Once I've played it I will take some better pictures and run through the complete specs.

This has been a blast to build.:lol: I am very humbled by all of the help and wealth of knowledge provided by the members of this site. I am very greatful for all the assistance and solutions found at TDPRI.

Attached Files:

9. Bellybuster

Bellybuster Tele-Meister

looks great, pick guard is awesome

10. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, looks great. Pickgard is pretty darn neat, not the easiest things in the world to make. I just did 2 out of tortise shell and the beveled edge was a PITA!. Great job here, the visual textures in the black looks very cool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.