1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Build - Let the Fun Begin

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Drum Strummer, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Drum Strummer

Drum Strummer TDPRI Member

Tele Build - pickguard laminated

Here's a pic of the laminated pickguard.

Scott

Attached Files:

2. Bellybuster

Bellybuster Tele-Meister

pickguard looks amazing.
    what kind of adhesive did you use to glue the burl to the guard? I have a stack of walnut veneer that I've been wanting to do this with but have yet to find a glue that'll do it.

3. Drum Strummer

Bellybuster,

I used 60 minute epoxy. The prep is the key. Scratch the plastic pickguard material with sand paper really well so the epoxy has something to grab on to. Spread a layer of epoxy over the pickguard material and lay on the veneer. Roll out any air bubbles and press and clamp the pickguard for 24 hours. I used two wood cutting boards, wax paper and clamps as a press. The wax paper was to make sure I didn't glue the cutting boards together. Let it dry for 24 hours and you should be all set.

Attached Files:

4. Drum Strummer

Great, my first sand through

In my obsessive quest for a perfectly smooth finish I now have my first sand through. It's on the head stock which I told myself was finished a week ago but I kept thinking that the tiny little spot on the tip could look better :eek:

For all of us beginners take heed - black finishes and white finishes are too of the most difficult to make.

I'll fix it and then hang everything to cure in prepartaion for the buffing.

It's still fun though :lol:

Attached Files:

5. Drum Strummer

Tele Build - the lacquer is done

I read of a post on "why should people use lacquer instead of poly". Here's my reason why - just look at the pics. This is my first build and (in my mind at least) I feel like a champ.

I made almost every mistake in the book, not intentionally rather just "oops" moments. Blushing, condensation from going from indoors to outdoors, surface imprints, low spots, sand through, finger prints - heck I even picked up a gnat. But with a little patience (and some spot filling) my results are more than what I expected from my beginner skill set.

The body has yet to be polished but for today I will cut-out my pickguard and print and paint my decals.

With luck and my weekend chores finished I'll be able to post more pictures tomorrow.

Attached Files:

6. Drum Strummer

Tele Build - neck finished sanding

Slight change in schedule caused me to sand the neck down today rather than cut my pickguard.

The neck went very quickly, 800, 1,000, 1200, 1,500 and 2,000. Now I need to go to the auto parts store for some compound and polish.

One question I have (I'll also ask in the Finely Finished section) is do I buff and polish before I put the decal on? Or do I put the decals on now, shoot a couple of coats of clear and then buff and polish?

I figured I'd ask rather make a mistake now?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Scott

Attached Files:

7. Bellybuster

Bellybuster Tele-Meister

you'll want some clear to burry the decal or it will just wear off in short order

8. Drum Strummer

Thanks Bellybuster. I am hoping to be painting decals tonight. I'll need to let them dry 24 hours before applying them but I'll try and post some pics later.

I'll run a few test decals on some scrap to learn the right amount of top coat spray before attempt the actual headstock decal.

9. Bellybuster

Bellybuster Tele-Meister

ok, now im confused "painting decals"?

10. Drum Strummer

Yes, painting the decals. Colt did a whole youtube video on it. If you mirror print the logo you are using on the decal papaer you can paint the gold or silver fill. This looks much better than the laser print color. Testors model paint (silver) works great. The metallic paints look just like the metal colors on factory decals You do have to let it dry completely before you use the decal.

11. Bellybuster

Bellybuster Tele-Meister

got it... my bad, thought you meant you were painting your logos

12. Drum Strummer

Tele Build - now it's starting to look pretty

I'm finally done with the body.:D I like shiny so here it is.

I still have to polish it out. Now I'm excited as I can see the end of the tunnel.

Attached Files:

13. Drum Strummer

Tele Build - pick guard time

Now I'm on to the pick guard.

I've laid out my template. I made the template based off the kit's pickguard and expanded the horn and side as well as lowered the cut out for the bridge pick up. I gave myself some extra room too so I can trim it back as needed. I marked everything and rough cut it. I also drilled the screw holes.

The next step is to cut, snip and sand until it fits as best as it can. I've got a Dremmel and (hopefully) enough bits. It will take a bit of time but that's what weekends are for.

I'll post pics of the finished product when I'm done.

Attached Files:

14. Drum Strummer

Tele Build - Pick guard ready for fitting

Well the final cutting and shaping of the pickguard went much better than expected. Thanks Dremmel. :)

I still need to work on the final fitting and bevelling the edges but the hard part is now behind me. My next focus is the neck pick up openning and the control plate cut-out. Both are still a little rough but if I take my time and file slowly everything will be fine.

Here's a before and after comparison of the kit supplied guard vs. the new pickguard.

More to come.

Attached Files:

15. Drum Strummer

Tele Build - neck polishing & shameless plug.

Now I'm starting the exciting part. This afternoon I was able to polish the neck & headstock. Now it looks like a real guitar neck with a proper finish!

CAUTION SHAMELESS PLUG AHEAD. For all the members who recommended Meguiars - you did not let me down. WOW! :D.

Meguiars Scracth X, Swirl X and Deep Crystal Polish are just short of magical. The reflection is so great you can see the light bulb filament from the chandellier in the reflection! Meguiars polishing products are fantastic.

Check out the pics :D This all done by hand.

Attached Files:

16. Drum Strummer

Tele Build - test decals done

I made a set of test decals that I'm going to apply as a practice run. I want to make certain I get this part right the first time.

I'll apply the decals and then lightly spray with lacquer - making sure to keep good notes so I can get it right te first time when I apply them to my head stock.

No sense in screwing up at this late stage in the game.

17. Drum Strummer

Tele Build - buffing the body

I'm in the home stretch now. I just finished buffing the body. I have one last polishing to do and then it's time to assemble it.:)

Attached Files:

18. Bellybuster

Bellybuster Tele-Meister

Nice!!

19. Drum Strummer

Tele Build - the neck is done

Stick a fork in it... my first neck is done! :D

I do need to change the title of my post out of respect to all the real guitar builders on this forum. My real role has been guitar assembler and finisher. Having read many of the posts on this forum, I humbly admit I have assembled a kit - not built a guitar.

This is what I did to finish this neck: carved the head stock shape from a blank headstock, stained the fret board black, painted a design on the back of the neck, veneered the face of the headstock, stained and finished the entire neck.

Still trying to come up with a name for it. I made Fender Partscaster decals that came out really good but think it needs a better name to be placed on the head stock.

Scott

Attached Files:

20. Drum Strummer

Finishing the Pickguard

I am finally fitting the pickguard - sanding and shaping it by hand so everything fits.

I have the neck pick up fitted as well as the bridge plate. Now I just have to finish the edges.

It also looks a little to brown so I will try a few more coats of lacquer with some black tint.

It's almost done!

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.