Tele build advice

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by JmanSpencer, Sep 27, 2020.

1. JmanSpencer

JmanSpencer TDPRI Member

image.jpg image.jpg Hey all, so I’m building my first guitar and I’m going with a tele thin line, but I’m making it with a custom f-hole (see pictures). I was wondering if anyone has done something similar to this and how strong it would be around the thinner parts, I’m making the top out of a hard maple but there are some weak spots on the cutouts I’ve been doing with some scrap poplar. Any and all feedback would be welcome.

RiversQC likes this.
  2. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

Pretty cool looking, I only see one week point, the lowest one on the left. That one has only vertical grain (I guess that is what you call it). However, once built I don't think it would be damaged. Good luck!

JmanSpencer likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I do a lot of standard f-holes and make it a point to reinforce the back side with a layer of surgical gauze soaked in thin CA. I put the gauze and CA on the wood before routing the holes. If you look at old arch topped instruments there are frequently cracks at the points of holes.

IMG_1617-1.jpg

I also make it a point to mask the inside of the holes while I have the back off. After I'm done spraying I can go around the edge of the masking tape and release it from the inside, then pull it out thru the hole. Makes a clean finish line and keeps the finish out of the guitar. Also, right inside the f-hole on the back is the best place for your label.

IMG_1619.JPG

Are you cutting the hole with a laser or a jewelers saw?

joealso and JuneauMike like this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Make your top 1/4" thick and it'll be fine. Nothing looks like it'll snap off with normal play wear to me except the piece that snapped.:) Maple would be more rigid and you could pick your grain pattern accordingly to support that cut configuration.

5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

That's brilliant. I wonder if you could dope it with fiberglass mesh and epoxy too? I'm guessing the surgical gauze is a very fine mesh?

6. JmanSpencer

JmanSpencer TDPRI Member

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  7. JmanSpencer

JmanSpencer TDPRI Member

So far I’ve been using a combination of a jigsaw with a fine cutting bit, and a coping saw for all the little details. I only snapped off that price on the bottom right after seeing which pieces would snap off when pressed on.

8. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Its very much like fiberglassing the bottom of a boat or something, but very much lighter. The gauze tape is very thin and will stick to the wood, I just flood it with water thin CA. On an archtop I want to stabilize it so it doesn't split but not add any appreciable mass. I also use this method to repair cracks in thin instruments like many Mexican ones or old mandolins.

JuneauMike likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.