Tele Bridge Upgrade - humbucker

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by fatboris1, Oct 16, 2021.

1. fatboris1

fatboris1 Tele-Meister

So I picked up one of those $120 IYV teles to hang on the wall. Quality is actually good enough to make playing enjoyable! Whoda thunk it? So I upgraded a Strat to lockers and put the Febder tuners on. Now it stays in tune. I ordered up CTS and switch raft to change out the electronics. Ordered a Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz set, cause it was $120. If I’ve gone this far, best take care of that bridge. I’ve been all over the place, even though about going Bigsby buy decided to maybe save that for another day…that’s more science project than im up for. I don’t have a drill press so I need something that’ll fit the holes already drilled for this bridge. Anyone have anything they love that they’d recommend? Muchas gracias!
    upload_2021-10-16_16-41-48.jpeg
    upload_2021-10-16_16-42-11.jpeg

2. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

Is there anything wrong with the bridge that is on it? My guess is you won't see any discernible difference in a change. If your heart is set on it anyway though I use a lot of Gotoh gtc101 hardtail. Great quality & price with brass saddles in a reputable brand. They look just like your current one. 2-1/16" string spacing.

For something more modern I love the Schaller 3D-6 roller bridge! Outstanding.
    Babicz FCH hardtail can't be beat for east adjustability in a great looking bridge as well.

Callaham makes a 2-7/32 spacing stainless traditional hardtail. Also a great but not any better than the others at higher cost.

DeepDangler likes this.
  3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

I think the Wilkinson short Tele bridge, dual load, three compensated brass bridge saddles and available in chrome, black and gold. For about $30 how can you lose? :D

From GFS BTW

4. fatboris1

fatboris1 Tele-Meister

I did look at that one, unfortunately the mounting screws are different. I don’t have the tools anymore to drill properly, don’t want to use a hand drill and have crooked holes. I may end up having to go that route though.

5. fatboris1

fatboris1 Tele-Meister

So that raises the question I don’t know the answer to. My main concern is the saddles. Would decent saddles on the existing base plate be enough? I’m not playing out so at home volumes are it.

6. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

As asked (but not answered), can you specify what’s actually deficient about the current bridge? As long as the strings aren’t shifting side to side when you play, it should work fine. It’s not rocket surgery. Sometimes the cheaper bridges have sharp saddles that can break strings, but you can fix that with a file or a bit of abrasive cord. No need for a new bridge.

Ron C likes this.
  7. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

If the bridge saddles seem fine, the bridge is fine. Cheap ones can sometimes be cut roughly and break strings but you’d figure that out quickly. Bridges are one of those things I don’t touch on my guitars anymore because I considered the stock one part of that instrument’s character.

fatboris1 likes this.
  8. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

It doesn't look like a standard hardtail bridge to me. The outer mounting screws appear to be spaced closer to the edge. I'd keep the plate and experiment with saddles if so inclined.

fatboris1 likes this.
  9. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Well I use a hand drill for everything, have for years with little choice. It can be done you just have to want to. Use the current bridge

fatboris1 likes this.
  10. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

What are you trying to achieve by changing anything at all?

You started with some HBs, already have some other HBs ordered to replace them, and don’t seem to want to bother with drilling for any different kind of bridge. I kinda doubt that anything that stays within the constraints of what you have, and have planned; will be much different.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. fatboris1

fatboris1 Tele-Meister

I know I’ll sound like an idiot but I was going to change the bridge simply because I thought “Everybody upgrades bridges on guitars…I guess I’m supposed to upgrade the bridge” In retrospect it doesn’t sound dumb but not everyone has accused me of not being dumb. I haven’t had string breakage so I guess there’s my answer. Thanks.

DeepDangler, ctmullins and Dan German like this.
  12. fatboris1

fatboris1 Tele-Meister

So thanks to everyone:
    1. For the advice
    2. For not tearing me up for a vague and dumb question.

Fender tuners are installed so it stays in tune. CTS pots, orange caps, switchcraft switch, and Duncan pickups arrived today. I’ll get those soldered up and pickups adjusted in the next couple days. Believe it or not as long as I keep the fretboard oiled the fret ends are pretty decent. They’re a few bends away from being smooth. For under $300 I’m gonna have a pretty decent, though non-traditional, tele to back up my real tele.

Thanks, everyone!

crazydave911 and ctmullins like this.
  13. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I swapped the bridge on my IYV Mustang. The stock one was working, but… anyway, the IYV bridge would be going back on the IYV, except it works surprisingly well as a non-invasive substitute bridge on my Danelectro. Don’t change it if it doesn’t cause you grief, and if you enjoy that guitar as much as I enjoy mine, you’re laughing all the way to the bank. (I keep looking side-eyed at the P90 T-style they have…)

fatboris1 and crazydave911 like this.
  14. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

Anybody use Dimarzio's Humbucker from Hell?

16. fatboris1

fatboris1 Tele-Meister

yup…same

Dan German and crazydave911 like this.
  17. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

Glad it’s working for you! I’ve changed too many saddles and bridges* only to learn their effect on sound is small. Hopefully saved you or someone else money for other frivolous guitar part purchases :cool:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.