Tele-bridge that pairs with Filtertron

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Hadlander, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Hadlander

Hadlander TDPRI Member

Hello Everyone,

I have a Reverend Buckshot I bought used as a "project" guitar (swap pickups, rebuild/replace wiring harness, etc).

I swapped the humbucker (neck) out with a TV Jones Classic which I'm pretty happy with, but I've had trouble with finding a tele-style bridge pickup that matches. So far I've tried a TV Jones Starwood, and a Harmonic Design Super 90. The Starwood was too clanky, and the Super 90 is too dark.

I've messed around with pickup heights and resistors (the pots are all 500K), but I couldn't get the tones I wanted. I'm torn between a number of options, but the big contenders are the Lollar Vintage T and Special T. Overall I'm looking for something with plenty of clarity and more midrange that can "hang" with the Filtertron.

In any event, any reccomendations, and does anyone have any experience with a simiar pickup configuration?

Thanks in advance.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe a "tron in the bridge also? I think it will fit in a HB style Tele bridge...?

Controller and brookdalebill like this.
  3. Hadlander

Hadlander TDPRI Member

I should clarify that the bridge pickup cavity is in the tele-bridge shape, so a HB would not fit.

I have considered taking the guitar in and have the cavity routed so that it will fit an HB or Filtertron, but I'm weighing all my options.

4. TinkerSolderTry

TinkerSolderTry TDPRI Member

the zhangbucker paul bunyan or even the super paul bunyan (with a tap) would be my suggestion.
    The paul bunyan is still bright but a lot beafier than a normal tele bridge.
    wouldn't call that one clanky anymore.
    the super paul bunyan is quite hot and has some really meaty mids. no clankyness left. might be a tad too much, but with a tap your on the save side...

5. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

I’ve got one laying around that would work well, but it’s not a trad Tele bridge PU. It’s a Novak ‘narrow range’ ‘P-90.’ Kind of a spanky cutting thing. I put a Tron Tele bridge in mine.

6. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dimarzio Area T - should balance well with your neck p/u, no ice-pick, no hiss and not dark.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Talk to Rob at Cavalier Pickups.

8. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

Either of the Lollars - the alnico 3 bridge might work too. Write an email to the people at Lollar and ask which they would suggest.

9. 2after909

2after909 Tele-Holic

The fralin p90 in tele bridge pickup form factor seems like a great pickup for that job, and you could just use 500k pots.

I’ve got a lollar vintage t set in one of my teles. That bridge pickup is fantastic. No surprise there. If you can get the wiring worked out, or have a tech do it, it’d sound good.

For a humbucker neck pickup and a tele bridge pickup combo I personally prefer the telecaster custom format, with the four knobs.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like Rio Grande May Grande for single coil Tele pickups.
    They’re just slightly hotter than a stock pickup.
    It’s what’s in my avatar guitar as pictured.
    I like the Seymour Duncan Hot Stack (single blade-type) best.
    It’s what’s in my avatar guitar presently.
    I should update that pic.

11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

schmee likes this.
  12. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

A personal favorite is the DiMarzio Area Hot T. I don't know how well it will match with the 500k pots, however, as that will make it brighter, but it should be more than a match for the Filtertron.

13. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I have 500K pots in my Esquire'ish parts build with an Area Hot T, and I think it's pretty close to perfect sounding. The higher freqs are better sounding than when I had it in another Tele with 250K pots.

14. OlDefGuy

OlDefGuy TDPRI Member

I’m a big fan of Lollars, give them a call they won’t steer you wrong. Currently running a J street with a regal in a tele custom ri. The J street pairs nicely with humbuckers. The special T is also outstanding. On the other hand I have had good luck with the Duncan vintage broadcaster pu in a couple other teles. 69 bucks direct, cheaper if you look around and a great exchange policy

15. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I appreciate your update. The guitar that I put it in has 250s that work perfectly, so I left it alone. Good to collate more data, always, as you never know when it might be handy. Love that pickup though. If I were going to "Esquire" a Tele it's probably what I would use.
    Edit: BTW, mine is so old that it's actually a "Virtual Vintage." I don't think that there is any appreciable difference.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  16. Novatuc

Novatuc Tele-Meister

Bill Lawrence's Wilde L290TL or L298TL may work nicely. Not traditional Tele tone but then neither is a Filtertron.

17. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Good old DiMarzio pre b-1 is a good option~at least it has worked well for me. IMG_20210722_080742559.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.