Tele bridge pickup most like firebird for Neil Young tones?

garthnose90

TDPRI Member
Hi,

I want a tele bridge sized pickup to replace the stock one. I'm a big Neil Young fan but not so much a LP fan so I want to upgrade my tele.

I know I'll never get his tone but I want to give myself the best chance.

I was considering the SD lil 59 as it is a PAF like the firebird mini humbucker was originally based on. However it might like the treble of the firebird.

I want something that has great picking response aswell so I can get all those great squealies and harmonics going.

Any suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks

Wyatt

Tele-Afflicted
it is a PAF like the firebird mini humbucker was originally based on

No, it's not, the Firebird PU has a very different construction than a PAF. The Firebird as an attempt to make a cheaper-to-produce Epiphone mini-HB. Instead of the traditional Gibson steel pole pieces and bar magnet underneath, the Firebird just used used alnico pole pieces (big bar slugs), which is a more Fender-esque approach. That's where the top end comes form.

Maybe a hot dual blade like the Wilde L-48TL? But the Firebird is one of the truly unique PU designs and tones.

firebird-mini-bucker-inside-jpg.71429

mini-vs-bird-jpg.652821

I do agree though that all my guitars through my Tweed Deluxe can sound like NY when cranked and playeing the right riffs.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
This thread from our own precious forum may help:

It's about the wiring, not so much the pickup.