1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Bridge Pickup buying advice!

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by gofguitarkp, Feb 23, 2015.

1. gofguitarkp

gofguitarkp TDPRI Member

Hey there people! I'm new to the forum, just had to become a member since Ive owned my first telecaster for a whole year now. Just a used HW1 post upgrade tele. The time has come to mod it...

The truth is that I found the pickups a bit dull, dark sounding, with not so much of dynamics... I play a texas specials loaded strat too... so you know what I mean.

I bought a twisted tele neck pickup (still not arrived) to replace the neck, since I loved the one on my friends baja.

Im now wondering what should I fit in the bridge position... Ive looked at twisted tele bridge pup, but couldt play it nor listen to it... also have a tele texas special in mind.. will that go well along with the twisted tele neck?

Just want to have your opinion.

I want a rich sounding bridge pickup, to play with overdrive, like bluesy tone, and some distorted rocky riffs and leads too. Kinda ballsy like I find texas specials on my strat.

Thanks in advance!

2. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

Get a AV '58 for the bridge!! That's what i have in my 60's Baja and i love it!

3. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

Get a Cavalier lion from Rob DiStefano (he's a member here); I have that bad boy paired with a Twisted Tele in my number 1 guitar and it's a match made in heaven!
    Not a big fan of the av '58 (I swapped mine for a Broadcaster in my 60's Baja).

4. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

SD l'il '59. Just an opinion.............

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

It really depends on the tone you're looking for from that bridge pickup. Since you want bluesy and ballsy you'd probably want to focus on those with a little higher output and inductance that will emphasize mid range grit over treble twang.

A CS Texas Special would fit that description as would an overwound Broadcaster style. Rob DiStefano's Cavalier Fat Lion is another that would take you there. There's a ton of them to choose from so it depends somewhat on how much you want to spend.

6. gofguitarkp

gofguitarkp TDPRI Member

Nashville Lion? Fat Lion?

7. gofguitarkp

gofguitarkp TDPRI Member

Thanks for the suggestion! gonna check that out. Looks a bit odd though... :p

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Are you asking for the difference between the two or a link to info because you're unfamiliar with them? Anyway, here's a link so you can check them out and some detailed descriptions of all of the Lions.

http://www.cavalierpickups.com/

Tele® & Esquire® Bridge Pickups

Fat Lion - Tele®/Esquire® bridge pickup. 42AWG over A5 rod magnets for a very bold tone with lots of mid-range, for serious rock and blues, approximately 9.2k dcr. Butter smooth treble that's never shrill, major midrange and good bass end, not best for maximum twang but some can surely be coaxed out. This is typically used for rock and bluez and pop, and Esquires® that need an increased range of tone. Black, ivory/parchment or dark maroon/red string wrapped, supplied with mounting screws and tubing.

Nashville Lion - Tele®/Esquire® bridge pickup. 42AWG over A5 rod magnets, lots of country twang with a hefty dose of mid-range, think "Broadcaster plus", this is the original Cavalier Lion that's quite at home for country, rock, pop and bluez - a classic overwound 50's Tele® bridge pickup, about 8.2k dcr. Smooth treble that's hardly shrill, good midrange and some bass end, good fat twang, arguably the most sought after Tele® bridge pup for country and lots of other genres. Black, ivory/parchment or dark maroon/red string wrapped, supplied with mounting screws and tubing.

Bakersfield Lion - Tele®/Esquire® bridge pickup. 42AWG over A5 rod magnets, plenty o' twang, some mid-range and lotsa treble on tap, yer typical vintage 50's Tele® pup, about 6.8k dcr. LOTS of treble tone, some midrange pops out, some bass is recognized, serious twang on tap. This is pretty much a classic Tele® bridge pup where the tone pot can be used to rein in the treble on occasion. Black, ivory/parchment or dark maroon/red string wrapped, supplied with mounting screws and tubing.

Nocaster Lion - Tele®/Esquire® bridge pickup. 43AWG over A3 rod magnets, approximately 10k dcr - that original classic earliest vintage 50's Fender® Tele® tone is back and fattened up with a higher turn count to squelch the shrill treble. Twangy, thick, clean, clear, with no ice-pick-in-the-ear. Black, ivory/parchment or dark maroon/red string wrapped, supplied with mounting screws and tubing.

Twin Lion - Tele®/Esquire® bridge pickup. A single tapped Lion that delivers two voices. Using a push/pull tone pot (with dpdt switch), or a separate spdt or dpdt switch, in your Tele® or Esquire® allows the Twin Lion voice selection, or a 4-way or even 5-way switch can utilized for different pickup voice selections. The Bakersfield-Fat Lion Twin Lion is a particularly versatile bridge pickup in that it allows both very twangy and very mid-range voices to be selected as needed. The '52 Twin Lion offers an Extreme range of both tone and output - old school and modern (think: 1952 and 2052), all in one pickup! Other Twin Lion variations will have more subtle changes in tone that will be best heard at gigging and recording volumes. Custom dark maroon/red, black, or ivory/parchment string wrapped, iron baseplate and supplied with mounting screws and tubing.

The Hydra Lion - Tele®/Esquire® bridge pickup. A double tapped Lion that delivers all three Cavalier Lion voices - Bakersfield, Nashville and Fat Lion. Custom dark maroon/red, black, or ivory/parchment string wrapped, iron baseplate and supplied with mounting screws and tubing.

9. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

I think the Nocaster Lion would be the best of all of these for the sound you want. There is something about the A-3 magnets that are the most magical, imo... His nocasters are a new and very welcomed addition to Rob's stellar lineup of pups.. If you go for any of the lions, ask Rob to wind it so that you get hum-cancelling in the in between position...

10. gofguitarkp

gofguitarkp TDPRI Member

I like the nocaster, less vintagy sounding than i expected...

11. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I fitted a Barden Modern T in the bridge of my Tele and that's where my pickup experimenting stopped. It does everything well.

12. brtele

brtele Tele-Meister

I have the Twisted Tele Neck/Texas Special loaded in my partscaster I've been using for a couple of years and wouldn't dream of changing them out. I think they're very balanced. Although, I'm putting together another Tele and I'm going to use Cavalier's Nashville Lion.

13. gofguitarkp

gofguitarkp TDPRI Member

Great, thanks for the info.

14. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I have a Fender CS Nocaster in my bridge position. I love, LOVE it!!! And I have a Texas Special in the neck, it's pretty good too!

15. bignote

bignote Tele-Meister

Don Mare! Hayride, Green Onions. Both great.

16. gofguitarkp

gofguitarkp TDPRI Member

Do you have a link to check them out?

17. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

18. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

19. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

I went with a Stephens Designs 1950 Broadcaster for my Esquire and I love it. It's a flat pole Alnico 3 hotter wind and it gets a range of tones from twang to fat to almost humbuckerish. I think cheaper brands of a similar layout would work just fine for you. SD's are pricey.

20. bertramladner

bertramladner TDPRI Member

fralin blues special

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.