1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele bridge 'P90'?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Wannabebop, Jan 28, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Now that you mention the 1/4 pounder I've used the similar 1/4" rod mag Rio Grande Muy Grande and gotten some of the heavier P-90ish tones, but not the same.

I also have an old Leo era G&L traditional shaped Tele bridge pickup which is built like a P-90 with a flatter coild and mags underneath the steel poles.
    I like it a lot better than the Muy Grande and find it's great for fatter rock tones, though I get fatter rock tones from a low wind stock Tele bridge pup too.
    That G&L pickup remained the same after the Leo era AFAIK and you can find them used for really short money given their quality.
    Not sure why I like it so much better than a traditional P-90 but it may be partially due to the steel poles sunk into the coil, so you can set the coil low and the poles high, or you can ste the poles low and move the coil closer to the strings. More tonal range with those adjustments and I like the coil closer to the strings; particularly under the high E, because it actually fattens the tone, where putting the coil further from the high E reduces the volume but also thins the tone. Volume and tone are easy to confuse when adjusting pickup height, because when you lower the pickup under the high E it becomes less loud, but not less bright.

The sound difference between the P-90 steep poles and the Tele alnico rods is pretty major, but in general I prefer the tonal influence of alnico (5!) rods so seek my new sounds using that recipe.

blille likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

That Tele looks very cool!
    So when you sort of force fit the vintage four screw bridge you mounted it a little closer to the neck, which allowed you to move the saddles further from the pickup.
    That works!
    The saddle screws must sit right on top of the bridge mounting screws, bit if it works it works.

I've made a variety of mounting plates to move the location of the Tele bridge pickup including a reverse slant.
    I didn't really like the reverse slant but do like the no slant mounting with the overall location putting it in about the middle, so the high strings fatten and the low strings get a little cleaner.
    The reverse slant was just too much darkening of the high E and too much thinning of the low E.
    @boris bubbanov set up a few like that though and finds it at least worth keeping.
    But he has maybe a few more Teles than most of us!

3. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Yes, that's the only way you can line up the through body string holes, top loader the only other way to fit an ashtray bridge which would mean I could also nudge it back a bit. You can see how the pickguard has also been cut away to make it fit. Wouldn't say the intonation is perfect (big deal, it is a Tele after all) and the break angle over the saddles is about 90* but as you say, it works!

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread, back to P90ish things for Tele bridges.......

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

String spacing will differ, if that bothers you

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. Wannabebop

Wannabebop Tele-Meister

Thanks a ton guys! I have a lot to look into!

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Though the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder is my least favorite of his pickups, I gotta agree.
    They are mid-rangey, almost to a fault, IMO.
    They make a tapped version, too.
    Anyways, good luck!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    blille likes this.
  7. Wannabebop

Wannabebop Tele-Meister

I ordered a Rio Grande Dirty Harry! Very stoked to hear how that sounds... When My tech’s put it in I’ll shoot a little video of it.

metale likes this.
  8. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

I put Harmonic Design pups in my 2018 MIM Tele to replace the Fender Noiseless pups.

HUGE difference in volume, tone, clarity, and spank. Twice the volume of the Noiseless.

9. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Porter makes a set. Boutique pickup so pricey but I hear only good things about them. I've heard sound clips that sounded great but well, they're internet sound clips so I won't swear by it.

upload_2019-2-13_19-12-57.png

10. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

11. caliban335

I took the opposite approach with this Nashville-ish Tele. I paired an underwound neck P-90 with a Lollar Special T in the bridge and a no-name Strat pickup in the middle. Neck & bridge sound great when selected together.

[​IMG]

LocoTex likes this.
  12. Wannabebop

Wannabebop Tele-Meister

That lookds great!! Is that a Jerry Donahue Tele?

13. caliban335

Yes, it's a Fender Japan Donahue model.

14. Wannabebop

Wannabebop Tele-Meister

Last week my tech installed a Dirty Harry by Rio Grande! I think I like it!!

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.