1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele bridge 'P90'?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Wannabebop, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Wannabebop

Wannabebop Tele-Meister

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a bridge P90 for in my Japanese offset Tele.
    [​IMG]

I love the P90 pickup in the neck position, but the bridge pickup is just too weak and trebly in comparison. I've looked up all these brands, Harmonic Design, Porter, Rio Grande, etc... What is the best fake p90 Tele pickup?

Thanks!
    Leon

2. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

If you're in the EU and you want something making to order, check out Amdusias Devices www.amdusiasdevices.com.

They're based in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and they made me a set of pickups for my MIJ Tele as I found the factory-installed ones a bit too bright for my liking.

Incidentally, I'm not linked with them in any way other than as described above and I really like what they made for me.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Do you want something that looks like a Tele PU and will drop into your bridge, or are you looking for a t-style bridge that will house a real p-90?

4. metale

metale Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

5. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

^
    This is interesting..? I've always thought that it is the flatter and wider coil that "makes it P90"? How come it is a P90 if it is "like an ordinary tele bridge-pu"?

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

he does a special wind that drops right in no mods.

also no affil, but he wound me a couple of PAF types for my Les Paul Custom and he's a star. Note you'll have to wait maybe a month or so as he usually has plenty of back orders

7. metale

metale Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Magnets, type of wire, screws as poles, etc are P90-like, I guess that's as close as it gets.

horseman308 and boris bubbanov like this.
  8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

No affiliation to either, but I absolutely love the creations of both Rio Grande pickups and Pete Biltoft Vintage Vibe pickups...

I have a Rio Grande P-90 in my Epiphone Les Paul Jr., and it sounds amazing...they’re a great company that will talk directly to you about anything. They make a drop-in P-90 for Telecaster bridges, too:

https://www.riograndepickups.com/dirty-harry-for-tele-bridge

Also—I’ve got Pete’s SP-90’s in my Stratocaster (Strat-sized P-90’s), and the Man Himself will answer phone calls, emails, etc...let him know what you want, and he can make it—and at a reasonable price.

IMHO, you can’t go wrong with these two companies.

9. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

What's in the bridge just now, ever tried a Broadcaster type 8-10kohms pickup in there? I have a Rob DiStefano Cavalier 51/52 in mine and it could certainly stand up to a P90 in the neck. Jaime at Creamery also does a great job, I've used him too.

You can't 'get' a true P90 sound from anything that fits into a standard Tele bridge but there are some pickups that come reasonably close, I used a Catswhisker TP90 once to good effect. Separate volume controls come in really handy in a twin P90 guitar to help balance things out.

10. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I have a Dimarzio Pre-B1 in an Esquire, and it sounds P90ish to me - more mid-range growl than twang.

11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

There's also the Fralin Steel Pole 43 Tele model - although their claim is it is 75% P90/25% Tele but that might be a good mix with the neck P90. Unfortunately I'm not sure if he ships outside the USA, but you could check with them if the pickup sounds interesting.

12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

If a pickup is shaped like a Tele bridge pickup it is not a P-90.
    It will not have the field shape or response of a P-90, it is just another Tele Bridge pickup.

bender66 likes this.
  13. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

Mfd...not a p90 but just as mean and still has that telecaster tone.

14. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Afflicted

15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm using a Cavalier 51/52 with the stock neck P90 in the same guitar as OP, and it's too weak on bass for me. Mids are nice though, they certainly match up well in that regard.

I'd go with a Cavalier Fat Lion or Rose Freedom T90, because both dudes are straight shooters with good prices. I've done the Huge Lion in an Esquire build, it was too choked up for me. Don't forget to to try a 50s style wiring with 500k/250 pot setup, I'd bet it work with a Huge Lion or other overwound bridge pickup pretty well.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

In my trying other SC pickup sounds with a Tele bridge I've concluded that the angle is such a huge part of the sound that the only real solution is to first cut off the Tele bridge plate and mount whatever pickup with no angle if wanting a P-90 like sound.

That alone fattens up the shrill B and E strings so much that even the same Tele bridge pickup sounds entirely different.
    I bought a set of the Classic Player JM pickups that are really a P-90 with the steel screw poles and mags under the coil, because they are Fender spaced and line up better with the wider string spacing on Fenders.
    Ultimately after going through a bunch of wide flat coil bridge pickups I've found some JM pickups that nail the thicker fatter bridge sound for me.
    But once you rout for a JM cover and eliminate the Tele angle, you can choose from a wide range of cheap to expensive and hot to mild pickups that fit the cover, and come in both F rod mag and G steel pole designs.

You can of course simply rout for a P-90 and live with the coil that's a bit narrow for the string spread, but keeping the angle IMO you'll never get close to a P-90 sound because it exaggerates the shrill highs muddy lows into a different tone from any normal P-90 installation; which has a better balance and overall tone.

RomanS likes this.
  17. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

I think that's part of the reason I liked the sound of the 51/52 in my beater Squier. The bridge assembly is basically the wrong one for that guitar (I just prefer the ashtray type) so the bridge pickup is noticeably fuller sounding as it is further from the saddles than normal.

I've been tempted a few times to try a l/h bridge to see what it sounded like as I'm one of those people who would prefer less treble on the high strings and tighter bass on the low ones, might just have to do it one day.

IMG_8195.JPG

Random1643 likes this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

A good Tele bridge pickup and a P90 pickup can have very similar tones .... since one or the other company was trying to copy the other company's tone back in the early days. P90s tend to have strong magnets and high wire turn counts. So your Tele bridge pickup needs to match that. Don't forget you can drop pickup heights to better match outputs (P90s are more challenging to do that), so you should try your bridge Tele pickup up within the gap of one to two stacked 'nickels' to the strings.

Get a hot wound Standard Tele MIM bridge pickup, you won't need to spend much on ebay to get one. Look for the 10.5kohm version rather than the more often 7-8kohm wound ones. This is what the back of the pickup looks like, two ceramic magnets on the sides of steel poles .. which happens to be very similar construction of standard P90s.

[​IMG]

19. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars can wind a Tele bridge pickup with P-90-ish specs. Nothing will be a dead ringer, but Pete's work is fantastic and will come awfully close.

http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/pickup_sc.html

Email Pete and he responds very quickly with a price quote.

20. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Not P90 but I've seen a lot of people happy with the SD Quarter Pound in similar situations.

Re Broadcaster as a solution - the DCR is not representative of output, since many use 43 gauge wire for broadcasters which will get 10K without as many winds as 42 so the output may be equivalent to 42 gauge at 7k.

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.