Tele Body Stamps - Help!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Artslap, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Afflicted

Hi,

Long time lurker, 1st time poster.

I'm appealing to those who have a more thorough knowledge of the factory markings on the bodies of our beloved pieces of wood.

The circular stamps that appear on the bodies of some Tele's (mine included). See picture below (not my gee-tar, apologies to the owner!)

What do they signify?

What date range were they used?

Anything significant about them?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris.

Attached Files:

2. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

I've wondered the same thing myself and there seems to be little or no information on these markings, unlike pot codes and of course serial numbers. My '71 Tele has a number of these stamps - they most likely are inspectors stamps (one of mine actually says "inspected by...". The actual meaning of the numbers is probably proprietary to Fender, still. I'm sure their actual meaning is something that counterfeiters would love to find out!

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm betting they're quality control.. as a person checks a specific parameter, he stamps as indication of it's passing.

ron kirn

4. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

from what i have read back in the day Fender didn't really keep a registry of serials and stuff like Ron says its more likely a quality control stamp

5. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I've always understood these are quality control stamps with no real meaning apart from identifying the inspector or dept.

6. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Afflicted

Many Thanks Gentlemen.

CP.

7. Rob S-Fender

Rob S-Fender TDPRI Member

Hi there,
    Hard to see from the angle, but yes those are inspection stamps though I don't know the era. They look like they are probably 70's stamps.
    Here is a final inspection stamp on a hang tag...other inspectors had similar stamps (different numbers) FRR on this one stands for Fender, Rogers, Rhodes.
    Cheers,
    rob
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  8. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

i dunno but my Gibson has a smiley face

[​IMG]

9. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

I would love to see a smiley that was put there by a worker in one of the routes on my guitars :lol:

10. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I vote QC stamps as well. We have QC stamps like this at work. We repair industrial gas turbines. Each technician places their stamp on items they are responsible for. We have years of records and a registry matching the stamp to an employee name. We have technician stamps, QC stamps, supervisor stamps and engineering stamps(my dept). A quick look at the stamps on a part or document will give the overall picture of where it is in the process. A missing stamp is a huge quality hit during an audit.

11. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

12. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

Excellent work Velorex. I think more information on the body/inspection stamps and how they could possibly correlate to time of manufacture is a strikingly overlooked part of Tele lore. Even the hands-down best book on the Telecaster, A. R. Duchossoir's "The Fender Telecaster" only gives a cursory mention of these amongst pin router & tooling marks, clamping holes, pot codes, router's hump and any number of other signifiers which are arguably less compelling (at least in my opinion). Good to know there are others out there!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.