Tele Bigsby...thoughts

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Slowtwitch, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Johnkir64

Johnkir64 TDPRI Member

Got a Gretsch with a Bigsby. An old wooden clothes pin will help keep the string on the pin of the Bigsby.

2. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I concur, this is how I have all of my Bigsbys set up. Of course the definition of a soft spring changes with string gauge. A spring that is perfect on a Gibson-scale guitar with medium gauge strings wouldn’t even keep the handle off the deck on a Telecaster with 11s. Stock springs can be had in 7/8”, 1” and 1-1/8”:

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...MIwOOsgM7s5AIVCtVkCh39iwoGEAQYASABEgLuL_D_BwE

and in addition to the Reverend springs mentioned above
    Bricks Biggs Fix sells wonderfully squishy springs and other Bigsby accouterments.

https://bricksbiggsfix.com/shop/

If you really want to get your Bigsby doing the subtle shimmery warble that Bigsby’s are known for, it’s worth investing a few bucks and some time experimenting with the set up.

Slowtwitch and BorderRadio like this.
  3. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

If possible, replace your saddle screws with socket head screws. That way you could use and appropriate size Allen wrench with a 90 degree bend to reach in there for intonation adjustments.

4. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

I wish...
    IMG_20190926_075216.jpeg

As I said, it's tight in there, although it could work if you're prepared to grid down a part of the alankey leg to a short stub to fit

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    richiek65 and Verne Bunsen like this.
  5. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

This is definitely a pain. If you have functional string-through holes, it is worth stringing the guitar up with the new bridge and setting the intonation that way before installing the Bigsby. For adjustments in-situ, I have had good luck slacking the strings and manipulating the screw with needle nose pliers. Not elegant, but functional. I think Callaham machines a slot into the end of the screw, which is just brilliant....

Slowtwitch likes this.
  6. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

I own this Bigsby.

[​IMG]

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ah, maybe a ball end will work in this case? It does on my Mastery bridge.

I used a dremel to cut notches on the neck side of the intonation screws. This allows a flathead screw driver to work for adjustments. Took a steady hand and a few tries to get it right. Vibramate offers the same screws on their saddle set, which aren't compensated, but are grooved :)

Verne Bunsen and Slowtwitch like this.
  8. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

Seems like a pretty good solution to me. Sometimes the right tool for the job requires making the right tool for the job. You only need enough length on the short end of the allen wrench to securely fit in the socket, leaving plenty of room to swing the long side to adjust the screw.

AND

Border found a way around this as well. Either way will require a bit of work with a Dremel or bench grinder.

bender66 and Slowtwitch like this.
  9. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

As has been mentioned, Callaham is the place for the best saddles for the this case. They're grooved, stainless steel (slippery and groove resistant) and have screw slots machined into the front for intonation adjustment. They aren't cheap, but they're worth it.

Verne Bunsen likes this.
  10. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

My wife just got me one of these from GC (online):

https://reverb.com/item/19397104-squier-standard-telecaster-with-bigsby-candy-apple-red

...a few days ago. (Anniversary present)

I've had an itch for a tele with a bigsby, but didn't want to drop a pile of cash...just in case I didn't dig it.

Love it.

I wasn't sure of the B5 bigsby. I have one on another guitar that is less-than-stellar.....but....this setup is great.

I think the break angle and the bridge are the two biggest factors to it working so well. Kind of opened my eyes to the fact that the B5 is a fine wiggle stick....if it's setup correctly.

Slowtwitch likes this.
  11. HighlonesomeF5

HighlonesomeF5 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Have you tried a ball end Allen wrench?

SBClose likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.