1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Bass, no not that kind.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ChrisThompson, Aug 3, 2009.

1. ChrisThompson

ChrisThompson TDPRI Member

So among all my leftover parts is a forlorn Alder tele body from some unknown maker. I painted it with Krylon Harvest Yellow for an opaque color that's fairly close to "tele yellow", cleared it with Deft Lacquer and let it sit... for 18 months. it got block sanded to 2000grit and is just waiting for a purpose really.

It's one of those projects that I never get around to finishing, mostly because I'm a bassist and I don't NEED another guitar. I noticed the other day that USACG has a "tele bass" body that is a tele shape, not a tele bass shape.

ie, not one of these http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/TelecasterBass.php

and I got to thinking. I came on here tonight to ask if I were crazy to want to put a short scale bass neck on a tele body, wondering if anyone had.

Thought it was be easier to say what I wanted with a bit of photoshop cut and paste. Turns out, I answered my own question. I WANT this bass. and I WILL be building it. But since I went through the trouble to photoshop it, thought I'd share this as a "pre-build" thread. Remember the shots below are cut/paste/resize/mangle in photoshop from a ton of different pics, none of which are my guitar.

Started with this, a single darkstar about where the tele bridge pickup route already sits.

[​IMG]

That's the money shot right there that made me think "Hell yes, I want this bass". But too much is never enough, so, dual Darkstars

[​IMG]

That looks a bit much, so how about with dual Nordstrand Fat Stacks?

[​IMG]

Not feeling it. How about one of each?

[​IMG]

It's between that one and the single darkstar, can't figure out which I like better. I suspect that the darkstar/nord combo is just excess for excess' sake, and the single darkstar would sound incredible. Decisions decisions.

I'm thinking a quality bridge, hipshot or badass, with string through and a Taipan block on the back. Short scale 30" bass neck, tele style headstock.

Man, I want this bass now.

2. unbridled

unbridled Tele-Holic

Tim Armstrong on here did that with a Musicmaster neck on a Tele body with MM style pup if I remember right.

3. unbridled

unbridled Tele-Holic

4. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Damn! I was just wondering what I was going to do with that other red cherry blank I've got-now I know! Thanks! Be sure to keep us updated on the build.

5. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's one I started a few years ago and still haven't finished. This is a short scale (~ 30 in.) neck from an old Hohner bass.

.......[​IMG]

6. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hey, that reminds me. I've got a Tele bass build to finish. I best get down to the back shed and find it!

[​IMG]

7. mgwhit

mgwhit Tele-Holic

I vote single Dark Star pickup. Esquire Bass, if you will. I've got a Dark Star on a bass in that p-bass "middle" position, and I like it quite a bit. And the neck position on a bass isn't the most usable -- pretty woofy.

The Dark Star also has a lot of surface hardware. I think I just prefer the uncluttered look of the single pickup mock-up.

Have fun and good luck!

8. ChrisThompson

OK, since reading Tim's thread, now I'm doubly sold. DO WANT. And a GFS MM pickup is a bit cheaper than a $200 Darkstar.

9. crussell

crussell Tele-Meister

I like the single, but you could also through in a piezo with a blend for good measure. That would be sweet with the short scale!

10. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

I'd say go with the GFS and also +1 on the piezo. I wouldn't go with a normal 3-way switch though, I think when mixing piezo and magnetic pickups, you should go with a blend pot, so you can mix in the most usable sound possible.

11. Tom_B

Tom_B Tele-Meister

I've also had a tele bass build on hold for some time... body's all mocked up, pup and all. My only problem is finding a short scale neck that I think it worth the money. Old musicmasters or one of the new bronco basses seem like the best options. I wish Warmoth or USACG would make a 30 or 32 inch bass neck. No luck.

12. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I can't say enough good things about the alnico GFS MM copy. Just flat-out delicious!

Also, remember to cut the neck pocket deeper so that it lines up right, it ought to go into where the neck pickup hole is. This will prevent neck dive, too!

Tim

13. ChrisThompson

Tom, my problem isn't finding a short scale neck, it's finding one in Maple. Rondo will sell you a short scale bass neck (30") for $45, and the SX basses they normally come on get pretty good reviews. Thing is, it's a rosewood with block inlays, not exactly the visual I'm going for.

I think the best bet is to keep an eye out for a Squier Musicmaster or Bronco/Mustang neck on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SQUIER-BRONCO-B...itar?hash=item3ef72a9f95&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

That + the rondo neck + a neck swap would give me two short scale basses. Not in the budget this week though

Tim, Darkstar is $200. GFS MM is... not. Sold. You using a full scale neck? That may change where the neck needs to be routed.

14. Tom_B

Tom_B Tele-Meister

I had thought of going this route. I actually have a SX short scale jazz... The body's sort of novelty sized (small!), but the quality's pretty good. With a little work, it's a very reliable and fun to play bass. I just don't like how wide the neck gets up near the body (above 10-12th fret). It feels very awkward in my hands. I do like the dimensions of Musicmasters, and I think the bronco's the same. Call me a cheapskate, but I've been hesitant to spend a $100-150 on a bronco just to get the Indonesian made neck.

BTW, you'll definitely want to route the neck pocket so you can set the neck in a bit. The mock up I did with the sx neck proved to me that even the short scale neck will be a bit neck heavy.

15. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

Search for 3/4th size bass necks on ebay. They're usually 30", which will work perfectly for you.

also, I was wondering, is it possible to fit a full 34" neck, would you be able to orient a bridge still on a normal tele body?

16. Tim Armstrong

Nope, I'm using a 30" scale 1973 Fender Musicmaster Bass neck. I think a 34" scale neck would be neck dive city, and on a regular Tele guitar body (not the ones Warmoth makes for Tele-style basses), you would probably run out of body before getting the bridge far enough back...

Tim

17. robbysturgis

robbysturgis Tele-Holic

Alternative approach

Here I used a custom made Aged Cherry Sandwich body, with a chopped Bronco Bass neck.

[​IMG]

I sold the bronco bass body on ebay, and bought a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder - awesome sound.

I moved the neck down as far as possible to avoid neck drop, and finished the whole thing off with a Fender Telecaster Bass style switch plate.

:cool:

18. Tim Armstrong

Sweet!

Tim

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.