Tele at church today!

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Current church has a rotation with 2 people leading music each week, and enough folks that everyone does one Sunday/month.
Been at this church 2-3 yrs, since pandemic started, and I have been playing acoustic all that time.

The young guy I usually play with is solid and a good singer. Decided to shake it up this morning and brought a Tele. Seems I will be doing that from now on, and the piano player said "I want you to play with me next month!"

Truth be told I'm much happier with a Tele but it's also been good getting back into playing acoustic 👍

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Tele is always a good fit in the mix imo. Interesting you chose that , as I just got my Broadcaster back from warranty repair and played it Sunday . I’ll probably continue with it as it’s a great versatile instrument .

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Current church has a rotation with 2 people leading music each week, and enough folks that everyone does one Sunday/month.
Been at this church 2-3 yrs, since pandemic started, and I have been playing acoustic all that time.

The young guy I usually play with is solid and a good singer. Decided to shake it up this morning and brought a Tele. Seems I will be doing that from now on, and the piano player said "I want you to play with me next month!"

Truth be told I'm much happier with a Tele but it's also been good getting back into playing acoustic 👍
What’s your setup? I’m running mine ( like all my electrics) thru a deluxe reverb with a tube screamer and digidelay . I like that setup because it warms up a mid scooped amp and can get such a wide variety of tones .

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
I don't have a particular setup, I usually just plug into an amp play🤣 At former church we had a full band. I left a thinline and a Peavey studio pro 60 at church since I played every week.
New church is a church plant 50-75 folks each week, and I had been just bringing an acoustic, playing once a month.
This past Sunday I thought it would add something if I brought an electric. Here's the rig I used.
IMG_20220616_084423766_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220616_084325964_HDR.jpg
Got the vox about a year ago as a backup for gigs. Easy to haul and set up, and pretty versatile with my thinline it has a minihum at the neck, though I pretty much parked on the bridge.

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Very nice. I ended up putting a neo lil Texas in my drri that brought the weight about the weight of a Princeton , but tbh I mostly leave it at church these days.

hotraman

Tele-Afflicted
I don't have a particular setup, I usually just plug into an amp play🤣 At former church we had a full band. I left a thinline and a Peavey studio pro 60 at church since I played every week.
New church is a church plant 50-75 folks each week, and I had been just bringing an acoustic, playing once a month.
This past Sunday I thought it would add something if I brought an electric. Here's the rig I used. View attachment 996151 View attachment 996153 Got the vox about a year ago as a backup for gigs. Easy to haul and set up, and pretty versatile with my thinline it has a minihum at the neck, though I pretty much parked on the bridge.
Thats a great set up.
I miss having the "amp in the room" set up.
Did you build the cab?

I play a 1999 Fender Tele Nashville B bender when I get in the mood.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, built the cabinet out of scrap strips of mahogany, the whole rig only weighs 18lbs😊 It works well, nice clean tone, pretty dynamic, with plenty of volume on tap.

We did:
O For a 1000 tongues to Sing
Glory Be to God the Father,
God Has Decided
Holy Spirit Come With Power
Be Thou My Vision

One acoustic and one electric gave us a nice sound should have done long ago, but we were new at this church. One of the elders said I'd been holding out on them🤣
Melody lines were helpful leading the singing, and it was good to bump up the energy level with fills and some back beat on a few songs.

telepraise

Tele-Afflicted
I agree! I use a tele in church 90% of the time. I run it through a 12" special edition PRRI with a Celestion Cream alnico in it. Sounds amazing. I finally sold my DRRI, it was overkill for church and sat idle once I got the Princeton.

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I agree! I use a tele in church 90% of the time. I run it through a 12" special edition PRRI with a Celestion Cream alnico in it. Sounds amazing. I finally sold my DRRI, it was overkill for church and sat idle once I got the Princeton.
That’s interesting. I use my drri miced behind me on a stand and run it about 3 . I do get my OD from pedals though. I’m looking for a nice clean tone for my foundational tone. I bet that prri sounds nice with the 12” though.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Played a Tele again yesterday with an acoustic player🙂
Two were tricky songs, Great Is Thy Faithfulness, familiar but tricky melody line to play. The other was a new song to me, Trisagion, the sheet had 3 clefs, 2 for vocals S/A, T/B, and one for piano.
Glad it was just one page, being dyslexic there were to many possibilities floating around on the page😵‍💫

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
That is a smart amp set up for sure. Nice and light. And I'm guessing sounded good with a tele. Can we get a pic of the Tele you used?

Praise God you are using your skills for his kingdom!!!!!

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Here you go @FortyEight ~
IMG_20210720_065905865.jpg
Still getting used to playing with just acoustic and electric, not full band.
Last song was Heal Us, Emmanuel,
Two verses before communion, instrumental during distribution, then two verses to end the service. Mrs Strum said I was a bit louder on last two😱 No complaints🙂

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Here you go @FortyEight ~ View attachment 1001126 Still getting used to playing with just acoustic and electric, not full band.
Last song was Heal Us, Emmanuel,
Two verses before communion, instrumental during distribution, then two verses to end the service. Mrs Strum said I was a bit louder on last two😱 No complaints🙂
Very nice tele . I’ve played with just electric and acoustic before. To me it was mostly playing clean , using different chord voicings when hitting chords and nice timely single note lines .

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter

The church I started going to a year ago already has plenty of people on worship. Then I was invited in February to join the men’s weekly Bible Study to play. Even though it’s all acoustic, any opportunity is good. And I had not played an acoustic in a group for decades so it was good all around. This has developed so that now I am singing one or two of the songs. Each week we spread out the singing among the four of us. (We’re all veterans in worship.)

Now, although I’m still not on the schedule for Sunday mornings, there’s a retreat centre nearby which I went to last month. They’ve asked me to bring my guitar and join their worship team whenever I’m there. There are various events going on there all year. The Tele is back!