Tele and Amp Combinations, What Works Best For You...?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dmirto, May 19, 2016.

1. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've owned mine since '83.
    Keep trying different speakers (and that isn't a knock on your G10's), very versatile Amp.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

It completely depends on what kind of music I'm playing, the venue, and the band. Punch drummer & bass players will require a different amp than both having a light touch. Large place with a mix of rock styles takes a different setup than a country-rock gig. Jazzier stuff, fusion and swing styles take yet another rig.

So I have 6 "Tele's" - none stock, 4 with B-benders but each used a little differently - and around 10 gig amps. I usually take a Tele, sometimes two, plus a backup or different guitar and always 2 amps (3 if it's an unfamiliar place - one with higher dispersion/efficiency for volume, one lower and one in between as a backup for whichever I use as the primary). Gig amps range from 1x10 variable power from 4-10 watts to a 40 watt 4x10 Super Reverb, with my preferred "go to" a 35 W 1x12 Holland Little Jimi that can cover just about anything. A large pedalboard but I only use a few things on any given gig.

The thing is, there simply are NO guidelines for a single guitar/amp combination that will cover all ground in all venues. It just won't work unless you play one size place that's always configured the same way and play one style of music with one band. Throw variables into any of that and you need alternatives.

And I don't suggest ever playing without a backup guitar and amp. Ever. If I haven't needed one for some reason a bandmate who is unprepared does.

RedRock likes this.
  3. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

For recording I use all kinds of vintage and newer tube amps. Gigging I use Solid state for reliability.
    everything from a Roland Street EX ,a Frontman 25R to a Carvin SX to an 82 Peavey CitationIV (160 Watts) depending on size of venue.

4. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

It's all a question of context - musical context and stage size. I like my tele through the vibrolux very much but for small clubs I just use a blues jr. - out of utility and because the tone sits well in the mix. And as our music recently demands for clean tone like 95 % of the time I really like a twin reverb. Great, big clean tone and more headroom than I'll ever need. I use a tube screamer or soul food for the 5 % playing time when I want a little dirt.

5. LiteAsh

LiteAsh Tele-Meister

Classic Player Baja Telecaster & blues junior

swany and irie like this.
  6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Tele into ODS (not my video btw)

7. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

American Vintage 52 "Thinskin" and a Valvetrain 5F2a Princeton loaded with a Weber AlNiCo SIG8s

8. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Tele -> Tweed.

I love Tele -> Brownface too... But, not as much as into my 5e3 or 5f6a amps.

9. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

Yeah, I'm with twangking and Axis29: AV52RI into 5E3 (Lil Dawg D-Lux in my case.) Occasionally add slapback or tremolo as needed.

Axis29 likes this.
  10. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Tele into Twin Reverb. Classic tones, always audible in any mix.

J Hog likes this.
  11. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Another vote for tele+5E3. I use a reverb and tremolo pedal most always, and a couple dirt pedals if i can't crank it. About perfection.

GeorgiaHonk likes this.
  12. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Tele + 5E3 is my favorite setup, too. That's my favorite palette of cleans and rock 'n' roll crunch in an easy to carry package.

GeorgiaHonk likes this.
  13. xland

xland Tele-Meister

My Blacktop Tele + Bassbreaker 15 = classic rock all day

14. dmirto

dmirto TDPRI Member

Hi all,

When I started this thread, I didn't realize that most of you would say that the Fender Deluxe was the way to go...

This is an odd amp coincidence/find...?

Here's why I say this...
    Using my Zoom G3 in front of a clean amp...
    I tried all the amp models, dialed them in at home, took them to rehearsal, I kept falling back to the Fender Deluxe...
    All the other amp models just seemed to lack the definition that the Deluxe has..

What does that tell me...?
    Now it sounds like I have to get/search for a real Deluxe amp...
    Or keep using the Zoom G3 Deluxe model...?

Some background info:
    I got my first Tele last September (2015) and haven't wanted to play another electric guitar since...
    And this is just an Affinity, can't imagine what a better model plays/sounds like...
    (I've been playing for over 40 yrs, I should have bought a Tele yrs ago...)

OK...

Thnx for all the replies, it really helped...

And keep replying, I think we're helping others make some choices, if not, I'm sure all the suggestions are helping others decide...

Keep playing...!

All the best,
    Domenic

15. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

I'm confused:confused:

16. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Make sure it's a Tweed deluxe. I know a BF/SF Deluxe does and will sound excellent, but my tele sounds better thru the 5E3 than the Super Reverb (which has the same circuit as a BF/SF Deluxe Reverb, but different tubes and speakers ). Just something special about that combo IMO. I'd love to play a tele thru a brown Deluxe, but haven't so I can't comment on that.

17. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Tele-Meister

AC30 all the way!

[​IMG]

swany likes this.
  18. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

CAR Baja 60's through a Bassbreaker 15, Bogner Harlow in front, H9 in the loop.

*EDIT* Same using my modded MIM Cabronita with TV Jones Classics.

19. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

On stage I go for the thicker sound of EL84s, nothing (IMO) cuts through a stage mix better than EL84s w their full midrange, I like ceramic speakers paired w/ the EL84s (WGS G12C/S). For recording and a scooped, detailed sound, 6V6s w/ alnico speakers (WGS Black & Blue).

Owenmoney likes this.
  20. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

Homespun Tele into a 47' Supro. Thats my cup of tea.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.