Tele Advice?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by roryhduffy, May 30, 2016.

1. roryhduffy

roryhduffy NEW MEMBER!

Howdy diddly everyone,
    I’m new here and i’ve been playing guitar for 4 years (self taught) and I’ve started to feel like something is missing while jamming and gigging, i have an ibanez artcore hollow body which is brilliant but not too well suited to what i play (melodic tapping and blues/rock). Ive been researching for a solid 6 months and I’m 99% sure i want a tele, however I’m on a really tight budget (800$ max) so I’ve been looking either making a partscaster from guitarfetish.com parts which is looking like around 360$ or buying a classic vibe butterscotch from a shop interstate which is 720$. do you guys have any past experiences with guitarfetish or any suggestions? much appreciated thanks :) (side note: I should mention i live in Australia Hence different prices (AUD) and a different budget)

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Since you're just getting your first one, I'd go with the Classic Vibe or a used Mexican Standard. Both are great quality and you'll want to hang onto them when you get your next one. Do the partscaster after you know the exact parts that you'll want to make up your dream Tele.

roryhduffy likes this.
  3. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Everything I've heard from the time they came out is that you can't go wrong with the Classic Vibe. Building partscasters is a lot of fun, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to build a decent one for half the price of a Classic Vibe. You'd probably be using the cheapest possible components, and you'd get a guitar that looks like a tele, but probably not one you'd be happy with. I could be wrong, but I'd steer you toward the Classic Vibe.

roryhduffy likes this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Exchange rate/postage is a killer atm buying from the US...

trawl ebay/gumtree/pawn shops regularly and you might find something good local... even bodies necks parts,etc...

Stellacaster and roryhduffy like this.
  5. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I would say classic vibe, how can you go wrong with it?
    Good luck

roryhduffy likes this.
  6. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Classic Vibe, great guitar

roryhduffy likes this.
  7. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

...and a nice bottle of Chianti.

roryhduffy likes this.
  8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I just picked up my first Classic Vibe at my local GC a few weeks ago. It was a Strat. Man, it really did feel like a nice guitar.

roryhduffy likes this.
  9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If this is a first guitar build, stay away from Guitar Fetish. They may (may!) be getting better, but you run the risk of spending 300+ dollars on a pile of parts that don't fit together. Add to that the cataclysmic cost of shipping things back and forth to Australia and you're going to be one pissed off son of a gun.

You can't go wrong with a Classic Vibe. They're pretty danged good guitars as is, and all the parts that would fit any MIM Telecaster would also fit a Classic Vibe, so if you want to change something down the road you've got a huge number of options.

Something else to consider is a Standard MIM Telecaster. They're my favorite guitar from a cost versus quality standpoint. They can be had used for $300.00, often less. They're also good starts to a modding career.

'Course I don't know about pricing on your end of the world. Around here good, serviceable USA made Telecasters can be had for $600.00 or so. Sorry about that. :cool:

Welcome, and good luck.

Stellacaster and roryhduffy like this.
  10. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

+1. I hate to run down any company, but I would think the shipping costs and GF's history would make that route a risky proposition for you. Also agree with the Standard MIM choice. They are great guitars and a good value.

roryhduffy likes this.
  11. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

12. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

The OP is in the land of Oz.

As in Australia.

roryhduffy likes this.
  13. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

Sorry.

roryhduffy likes this.
  14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Go the parts route for your second Tele.
    Get a used MIM or the CV Squier. Have the fret level checked and a setup done. Play it hard.
    Tweak that one with a 4-way switch, pots and cap swaps.
    Then think about the parts assembly build.

15. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

The Mexican Standard is a great guitar out of the box. With a decent setup and maybe a four way switch you've got it all.

Stellacaster likes this.
  16. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Don't overlook a Squier Standard Tele, especially if you can find one used. Get it set up right and you're sorted. Good luck!

Lead2Fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.