Tele, 72 Twin

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Jason_, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Jason_

Jason_ TDPRI Member

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Twins always bring a smile to my face

Jason_ likes this.
  3. Jason_

Jason_ TDPRI Member

I’m loving it-only had it a few weeks. First Fender amp ever, and I can’t believe I waited so long. Also, they *are a bit big and loud, but jeez, for what they’re selling for because of the small amp trend, you can’t go wrong.

Milspec and Telecastoff1 like this.
  4. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Jason_ likes this.
  5. Jason_

Jason_ TDPRI Member

Thanks very much! It’s just the mic in the iphone, though. They’ve come a long way.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  6. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Nice

Jason_ likes this.
  7. Milspec

It is crazy how the Twin was the expensive amp 20 years ago, but now the prices have flipped. I don't see how anyone could go wrong adding a Twin to their arsenal...lots of amp for the money and they sound great. I have several small amps that have great tone, but there is just something about that "crack" you get when hit a note through a Twin. Just a snap and then the sound blooms out behind it...gives me goosebumps every time. Love the Twins.

RoscoeElegante and Jason_ like this.
  8. Jason_

Jason_ TDPRI Member

Totally agree. I was looking for a Deluxe, and almost bought a Champ for what I paid for my Twin, and man...I am glad I didn’t. The sound is so huge and deep. No lie, when I dialed it in after bringing it home, I had a physical reaction to the sound it was making. Magic. That’s the reason for these videos-I don’t record myself very much, but music just started spontaneously coming out of my guitar when I got this amp. I had to document it. I realized how much of my playing was trying to compensate for the lack of juicy, beautiful tone before, now the simplest playing sounds gorgeous through the Twin.

RoscoeElegante and Milspec like this.
  9. Milspec

But surely you find it to be "too much" amp for home playing right? I don't either....been my favorite amp for the last couple of years since I purchased mine and that is saying something because I do have a lot of really dream amps to choose from.

Jason_ likes this.
  10. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Used to say that about Doublemint adds back in the day.

To the OP, nice playing.

Jason_ likes this.
  11. Jason_

Jason_ TDPRI Member

Yeah, I read all the opinions about that, and decided heck with it. I mean...I had a 50w Marshall with a 412 in the same room before, so having the Twin has not been a struggle. I usually have the MV all the way up and can put the channel on about 2.5-3, just where it’s starting to come to life. But now I’m playing alot of clean stuff, so the volume hasn’t bothered my family at all. They keep telling me how great it sounds, and they *never talk about my playing. :D I tried the thing where you take two tubes out and disconnect one speaker, played it for 5 minutes and put it all back together because it made so little difference. And it seemed to be lacking the presence and authority it normally has. So yeah, I can’t agree that this amp is too much for home use if you have a house and no shared walls with neighbors. Everybody should get one, haha!

Milspec likes this.
  12. Jason_

Jason_ TDPRI Member

Thank you very much :D

13. Milspec

Spot on. I run the MV maxed and volume right where you have it as well. It never seems to be too loud until I inch past 3.5, up until that point it seems just as loud as my Deluxe around 4 which is where many play as well. That is the internet for you though, the Deluxe is "perfect" while the Twin is "too much" despite being about the same volume when playing at home / studio.

The only flaw to them is the weight. Mine has JBL E120 speakers in it and weighs over 100 lbs....I just got through carrying it up 2 flights of stairs to my home studio and it about killed me. It may not be great for playing out due to the weight, but it makes for a great studio amp.

Jason_ likes this.
  14. decker

decker Tele-Holic

Good stuff Jason.

Jason_ likes this.
  15. Swingbass

Swingbass TDPRI Member

Twins are one of the best amps ever designed. That's why its still sold today. I had a '65 Twin Reverb in the late 60's along with my '63 Strat. I put EV SRO speakers in it. It took 2 men and a boy to lug that beast but what a sound. Also, just because it's powerful doesn't mean it has to be played loudly. Played under normal volumes it has headroom forever. Congrats on your NAD

Jason_ likes this.
  16. Jason_

Jason_ TDPRI Member

Haha! They are heavy. Mine has the original speakers in it, the Oxfords, I think. I was looking for replacements before things got so uncertain economically, I’ll live with these for now, they don’t sound bad.

Milspec likes this.
  17. Jason_

Jason_ TDPRI Member

Thanks!

18. Jason_

Jason_ TDPRI Member

Thanks! And agreed. I can play at a very tolerable volume, and use an OCD to get some breakup if I want it. Best sound I’ve ever had.

Milspec likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.