1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele 6-way switching

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by dobrojoe, Feb 26, 2017.

1. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

I have a 5-way switch in one of my Teles adding series and parallel phase. All these tone are quite usable and distinctive. The only option I haven't tried is where the pickups are wired in series and out of phase.

First of all, has anyone tried series out of phase and is it worthwhile?

Secondly, it will require a six-way rotary switch (4-pole) or push-pull pots. The push-pull pots I've seen are much lower quality that the regular CTS pots I would normally use so I'm leaning towards the rotary switch in the tone pot position and using the 5-way selector switch as the tone control - or getting a blank plate and drilling three holes for volume, tone and rotary selector.

Thoughts?

2. peterleroux

peterleroux TDPRI Member

Try re-wiring your neck pickup (swap the live and ground) out of phase to see how you like the tone- on different pickup sets it has a different effect. The Baja has useful out of phase tones, but I tried it on my CV and it sounded ... not all that different from the normal position, just slightly quieter.

Worth trying for the time it will take- the soldering iron will take longer to warm up than the swap will.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on hardwiring it to test and see if you like it. Then hunt down the switching changes to get it.
    I assume you have the Fender super switch already installed to get the options you are currently using, so just replace one of the others with the new tone if it fits your needs.

I haven't found any of the out of phase wiring that useful when I've tried it on purpose or gotten it by accident when mixing different pickup manufacturers and their random wiring habits. What I have found useful are circuits like the Arlo Cocked Wah or the Tonefiend Passive Treble Bass systems.

4. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

Not quite as simple as that. I need to AB the two tones to compare them. I might have to wire-in a 2-pole 2-way toggle switch temporarily to try that.

peterleroux likes this.
  5. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

I actually like the parallel phase sound from my Fender Vintage pickups. It has a nice retro 'honk' to it, not like the weedy tones from a Stratocaster. Great for old blues numbers. The series position is now the one I use most.

6. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

The series-out-of-phase option in Teles is a great thing to have. As far as I remember it sounds very similar to parallel-out-of-phase but matches the volume of the 'normal' constellations better.

Check out the 'Deaf-Eddie 5-way wiring' which offers all you really might need. The only minor downside with it is the volume increase when in series-in-phase-mode (but that cannot be avoided afaik).

7. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

If you go 'Deaf Eddies' way try to get hold onto an 'EYB-Megaswitch M' (also known as Schaller Megaswich M). It does all a superswitch does, is well built and will fit the Tele cavity nicely.

8. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

Thanks for the tip. That's what I was hoping for. I'm going to do this when my new Tele body arrives from Japan.

9. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

No, I need a 6-way switch, so it has to be a rotary 6/4.

10. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

Ah, is it's gonna be a backside-loader / Thinline ?

11. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

No, regular Tele. I have ordered the rotary switch from the USA. Can't get anything like it in the UK - all too big.

12. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

Well, look at this website: "singlecoil.com". They're in Germany, not cheap but have good quality parts - rotary switches as well as high end pots.

Let me see your wiring scheme when you figured it out.

Good luck!

13. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

On drawing up some switch wiring today, I have discovered that I already have series/out of phase and not parallel/out of phase. That's why it sounds so good. I won't bother with parallel/out of phase and stick with a 5-way superswitch for my new build. Makes things a lot simpler.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.