1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele + 5E3 = ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by aadvark, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Not in my opinion and definitely not in HIS opinion and boy does HE use "pedals" :)

The deluxe is a killer pedal "platform".

2. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

If you've got a dedicated amp/guitar tech, access to great mics to mic your 5e3, and access to great monitoring through your PA system, then maybe you've got a point.

I didn't want to spend 10's of thousands of dollars on mics and PA equipment to make the 5e3 a "stellar" amp. That's what I wanted the amp itself for. You may have a drummer who uses velvet brushes rather than sticks, so maybe it would work for you. It did not work at all for me.

Try throwing a hard clipping distortion in front of it, along with some modulation, while playing it at a level where you can hear it over the drummer without mic'ing and monitoring. Or, try a simpler challenge, just try to make it sound "modern". Good luck with that. The guitar/amp Holy Grail recipe, does not include a 5e3 for me. Been there tried that. I know them for what they are, and won't ever own another, or try to force one to be something it is not, again. Once again, YMMV.

3. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I gigged for years with a Lil' Dawg D-Lux (25 watt version) and partcasters with a Tele bridge and bridge p/u. That combo was great for classic rock. I just loved the sound of it. Mine handled every pedal I put in front of it. Generally ran it via the guitar volume for clean to semi-crunch and used dirt pedals for distortion.

I think you'll like that combination too.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just got my first 5e3 a few weeks ago. Still figuring it out. But I have to say it almost demands to be played with a Tele. It seems to really need that brightness. With humbuckers, I am finding the neck pickup to be unusable, just mud. With single coils the Tele neck is OK, nice and bluesy. But like I said I'm still figuring it out. The tone knob seems to add gain along with treble, so it's tough to get clean and bright together.

Also, I will admit I have not even tried it with pedals. It doesn't seem to need them. It's like the opposite of a black/silver Fender sound, where your amp is sparkling clean and pedals give you dirt. This 5e3 is thick and crunchy right from the get-go.

5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Why would I want to do something like that?
    I live in the 21st century.
    Thank God for in ears and monitoring.

I run mine at just a hair above 2 with the unused ch. Vol at 3 and with these babies in front of it it sounds STELLAR (especially for recording) ,by the way it still is FREAKING loud for small clubs..

Of course SPEAKER selection is key if you want a great clean tone that can take pedals with ease ,my absolute favourite speaker for Tweed Deluxes is the 40w ceramic Tonetubby..a match made in heaven.

20200730_120006.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    El Tele Lobo, Ricky D. and jman72 like this.
  6. connuchar

connuchar Tele-Meister

an old
    silvertone 1482 would work in a pinch if you can find one in good shape

7. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Tele-Meister

A Tweed and a Tele is truly the best matchup on the planet period bar none!

Attached Files:

dougstrum, mojek and El Tele Lobo like this.
  8. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

I have a Victoria Double Deluxe which is like a double power double speaker 5E3. I love it. I prefer it to the '64 JMI Vox AC30 I had.

blues, mojek and pedalcr8z like this.
  9. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Tele-Meister

I owned a Victoria Double Deluxe twice. One of them had a v-front which indeed had better dispersion. Simply a tone monster of an amp.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    CV Jee Beez likes this.
  10. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

Perfect example:) I have 52 AV and first series 5E3 reissue and it sounds alike;) Very loud 12-15Watts(can second Blues Deluxe at rehearsal) and you disconnect all your pedals, since it’s the sound is soooo sweet and pure and everything:rolleyes:

RYAN1987M likes this.
  11. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Make sure you play around with the volume control on the channel you're not using - it can have a drastic effect on the amount of gain/midrange of the channel you're playing through. The 5e3 controls are very interactive with each other, even when you're not using one channel. For cleaner humbuckers, try turning the unused channel volume all the way up. For more gain try running it at 6-7.

You can also get a wide range of sounds by jumpering between the two channels like an old Marshall.

aadvark likes this.
  12. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

"You can also get a wide range of sounds by jumpering between the two channels like an old Marshall."

I look forward to trying this, can you briefly describe this effect? Is it perfectly safe?

13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes it is perfectly safe. It is the amp-equivalent of going from single coils to humbuckers. Adds a lot of gain though.

aadvark likes this.
  14. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

found this, good info, if long!
    (for those that may not have seen it...

pedalcr8z and Marc Morfei like this.
  15. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Have found most modern clones of vintage gear to be lacking. But as an user of original 5E3s, I was surprised when trying a friends diy 5E3 kit project ...sounded just like an ole 5E3 to me.

aadvark likes this.
  16. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

I'm late to the tweed amp thing but, wow!

aadvark likes this.
  17. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

They were made for each other- literally. It’s about as classic a combo as you can get.

turn the guitar volume down to clean it up. Extremely touch sensitive- you’re going to love it.

this video actually is what made me get a 5e3. Now I just need to get a blackguard back in my house...

Chicago Matt, Piotr and David Barnett like this.
  18. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Congrats on your new amp! I think every guitar player should at least try a Tweed Deluxe or a good clone and give it a fair shot. It ain't intuitive! :)

I built my Mission 5E3 kit almost 10 years ago, and it's been my primary gigging amp for almost as long. As others said, twangy guitar and bass-heavy amp is a beautiful combo, the way Leo designed it. I've made a few small, simple changes to my Deluxe clone to make it a little more versatile. These are often suggested and have worked well for me.
    FWIW:
    I plug into the Inst (Bright) channel - Inst Volume 9, Unused channel Volume 6, Tone 8 or 9. I set and forget the amp and control gain and distortion with the guitar's volume control the old school way. If you want more gain, a clean boost in front works great. Like Siamese, I control the stage volume with an attenuator/reamp.

19. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

True, and good advice. That's why I have all three (5e3, AC4HW1, PR). But I don't gig, only play at home (Tele, ES-335 Dot). No pedals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.