1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele + 5E3 = ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by aadvark, Oct 25, 2020.

1. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

I just invested in a custom 5E3 to go with my blackguard, and looking to hear from those than have run this combo. I can't find or afford a vintage Deluxe Tweed here in Melbourne! (not yet anyway). Thoughts...

2. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

I use a '54 5C3 and it's probably a little fatter than a 5E3. Gets a nice Jimmy Bryant tone, but not quite Bakersfield. I expect the 12AY7s will be a little brighter.

3. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

My advice is to contact a good glazier. If your 5E3 is anything like mine, you are going to blow out your windows. This week I'm going to do the reduced output mod to see if I can get 'the tone' at levels the rest of the band won't female dog about.

4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Classic combo! Can’t really go wrong with it.
    Clean, the 5E3 can be quite bright. But the bass are always a bit loose so it’s not really twangy. To my ears it’s got more « chime » than « spank » with a tele. It’s really a beautiful tone, although not with much headroom (depending on the speaker).
    It’s especially known for its overdriven tone, but as I play almost 100% clean, I do not really care for that side.

jman72 likes this.
  5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You can't go wrong with one of these.
    Definitely one of the best CLEAN sounds ever with a Tele at reasonable volume (I definitely prefer it over a bf or SF Fender)

Here are my settings for an awesome clean tone. 20201025_092548.jpg (tone is at "7") remember: the UNUSED channel volume IS changing the sound even if you are not plugged into it (it interacts with the used channel)

JRapp, LPTyler and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

igor5, Treehouse, CV Jee Beez and 7 others like this.
  7. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Ever since I built my 5E3, which I mostly use with Teles, I gradually stopped using pedals - even my beloved Strymon Deco (best slapback machine ever!) sees less and less use...
    No need for reverb or overdrive at all...

8. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

a tele a 5e3 you have found the holy grail welcome to the dream team ;);)

Treehouse and Piotr like this.
  9. Siamese

Siamese TDPRI Member

That's my rig...2013 American Standard Tele through a Cox, 5e3 hand wired clone with an Eminence alnico speaker. I dial it in how I want it, then control the final volume with an attenuator. I use an OCD distortion a little, but my fave overdrive is my Ibanez Tube Screamer. 5e3 + Tube Screamer = FAT TELE.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  10. charlesypsi

charlesypsi TDPRI Member

What attenuator do you use, Siamese?

11. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

This is an Esquire, not strictly a Tele...but I'd say, in combination with a 5E3, it's magic!

mojek, blues, Alamo and 3 others like this.
  12. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

Any fender with a 5e3 sounds great. It’s a woofy amp, so naturally a brighter sounding guitar won’t be slowed down by it. I have run into problems at times with neck humbuckers on semi’s and archtops though.

A lot of players may not use that combo live, but certainly do behind the scenes in the studio. And not for any special signature sounds associated with that amp or anything (dinosaur jr comes to mind).

mojek and Marc Morfei like this.
  13. Siamese

Siamese TDPRI Member

The Bugera PS1. Just a smidge over a hundred bucks, and non-reactive, but I'm very happy with it. The big volume knob on the front of the thing, as I mentioned in my post, is my final volume. Dial the amp in how I like it (dirty-ish), and then the attenuator gives infinite control, right down to nothing. It seems to meet my needs. Can't say how good the innards are, but the case is built like a TANK. An aluminum one, anyway.

For home playing, the 5e3 in the sweet spot was just too loud, so I tended to run through an OCD overdrive, and backed off the volume on the overdrive to spare my ears. Of course, that was NOT the path to good tone. Now, I'm able to push the tubes into a sweet spot (3 to 4 or so on the bright channel volume) and I can boost my Tele signal with one of my overdrives. That's the tone I'm looking for. I'm into tones like Allman Bros., any Steely Dan guitarist, Clapton, etc..

Oh, and with the attenuator allowing me to run the amp in the sweet spot, I find that the controls on the Tele respond as they should.

14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Mission 5e3 and a blackguardish partscaster since 2007. My only amp. Still makes me grin. Bright channel, volume on 5-7, use the guitar volume to control it.

Chicago Matt, jman72 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you turn it up loud enough, you won't miss reverb.

Wallace Snr and mojek like this.
  16. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

I can get mine (L'il Dawg) up to about 3 when using the low input on the bright channel. Still get a lot of "female doggin" though! I run the unused output up near 8 and get a little mid scoop. On the other hand, 4 to 6 gives a significant mid boost! Turn the knobs and have fun with it! They're GREAT amps.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  17. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I was going to post the same video!

Great performance, and the guitar sounds amazing.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  18. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

IMO, you the get the best clean sound plugged into the bright/instument channel with the normal/mic volume turned all the way up. Otherwise, you have too much gain even with a 12AY7.

19. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Depends on what kind of music you play. If it is your sound, it's great. If it's not, then not so much. IME, the 5e3 does not take pedals well, so if you need to cover a lot of ground, you might consider an AC15 or a Deluxe Reverb, they're both MUCH more versatile than a 5e3. Obviously YMMV.

Dukex and Telekarster like this.
  20. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

IMG_20190817_155130.jpg

+

IMG_20181203_141753.jpg

= :)

Ricky D. likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.