Tele 4 way wiring problem

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by lespowl, Feb 13, 2020.

1. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

When it sounds good, don’t change it it’s a waste of time and money. Adjust the height, balance, try different values for the tone cap, and different strings, and find the right settings on guitar and amp. Try it with different amps too (and pedals).
    Change the pickup only if, after all that, there is still something wrong to your ears, or if you are looking for something completely different (like a humbucker).

Still want a recommendation: Keystones from Wildepickups (Bill Lawrence). Low (vintage) output with great clarity (not shrill), balance and overall versatility, low noise too. Nobody can explain why those magical properties, they are just well made plain single coils. Though they’ll depart from your 100% vintage correct look, I can’t find anything that sounds better, except if you are looking for, once again, a humbucker or so. ;)

2. Pat D

Pat D Tele-Meister

I'm in the middle of doing the same mod, and having trouble. Does anyone know of on online copy of the pinout for the Oak Grigsby 4-way switch? I'd like to confirm continuity between the terminals with the switch in each position.

3. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

You should be able to see the trace inside the switch and how it connects the terminals on one side, and guess the other.

Teleterr likes this.
  4. Pat D

Pat D Tele-Meister

Here is my wiring. This is my second shot at it after desoldering everything when it didn't work the first time...

The situation is,
    a) positions 1 (bridge) and 2 are the same tone
    b) positions 3 and 4 are the same tone

In the first two positions both pickups are active. In the last two positions only the neck pickup is active:

5. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

The wiring seems to follow the « Seymour duncan » schematics on page 1, but what is the yellow wire? And what is that pickup?

Usually it is white for signal and black to ground/or switch (for the 4 way switch), and third wire is the neck pickup shield/cover to ground. But the yellow wire can be either, or a coil tap. A mistake here could explain your problems.

Pat D likes this.
  6. Pat D

Pat D Tele-Meister

The yellow wire AFAIK is the ground wire for the neck pickup cover.

Until Sunday night the pickups were installed with a 3 way switch and they worked fine. Up to that point I had the yellow wire tucked into the guitar body, unconnected, and capped with a piece of electrical tape.

I'll be pulling the neck pickup to see where that yellow wire is connected.

7. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

It looks like you soldered it to the switch’s first (or last) connector. It should be soldered to the back of the volume pot. The black wire should go to this first connector.

I repeat. According to the following layout:
    The first wire from the coil (white wire) goes to switch « 6 »
    The other wire from the coil (black?) goes to the switch « 5 »(where the yellow wire was)
    The wire from the cover (yellow?) goes to ground (back of a pot...)

Pat D likes this.
  8. Pat D

Pat D Tele-Meister

That's it! Thanks!

I'd developed some kind of mental block/tunnel vision that made me miss that I had the two neck pickup ground wires reversed. Rookie mistake on my part... :/

LowCaster likes this.
  9. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Guess how I know... ;)

Pat D likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.