Tele 4 Way vs Gilmour 7 Way

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by justin1287, Jun 1, 2020.

1. justin1287

justin1287 TDPRI Member

What do you feel is more useful for a tele?

Obviously a middle pickup would have to be added for the Gilmour 7 way.

Thanks!

2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I have both configurations. A Nashville with a five way and a toggle to get all seven and a four way in a standard tele configuration.
    The four way seems more useful overall.

3. thechad

thechad Tele-Meister

I put a push-pull pot on my Strat to get the 7 way switching. I wouldn’t say it’s ground breaking new tones but they aren’t bad either. The 4 way Tele switch adds in a series connection I believe which sounds pretty great from what I understand. in terms of what’s more useful? Well, if you are inclined to add a middle pickup, do the 7 way switching with parallel and series switching and you’ll have all the bases covered! ;)
    the more the merrier after all right?

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Tele: 4-way. My favorite Tele mod.

Strat: a better option than the extra switch is just lift up the pickguard and swap the neck and middle pickups in their respective holes. Now you have a 5-way that is a 3-way Tele at one end with two extra middle options at the other. You get the Neck + Bridge Tele style tone but give up the #4 Quack position. You can swap middle and bridge if you want #4 while giving up #2 Quack. No soldering involved and easily reversible if you don't like it.

My typical Strat mod is an Armstrong Blender. SSS blends into series HSH with a wiring change only (soldering is involved).

Telecaster88, thechad and Ronzo like this.
  5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I can't speak to the 7-way switch, or to a 4-way plus S-1 like on a Baja. I have 3-, 4- and 5-way switching configurations in my five teles, all of which have just the two pickups.

The five way is my least favorite configuration, but then it's not like a Strat. It's the Bill Lawrence wiring scheme with his Keystones pickup set. Position #1 is what I call "Neck Lite," the neck pickup with 10% less bass. Position #2 is the half out of phase option, and positions #3-#5 are the standard Tele options of bridge, both in parallel and neck. "Neck Lite" sounds anemic to me, especially when compared to the full neck position. I almost never use it. The #2 position is okay for "quack," but I don't use that much either. And since the standard (3-way) Tele selection options are so far forward on that 5-way scheme, it just feels weird. I'm thinking seriously about converting it to a 4-way.

And the 4-way is my favorite switching option, and therefore my vote for the most useful on a tele. Two of my five teles have a 4-way switch. I use either both pickups in parallel (position #2 of the 4-way) or the neck pickup for rhythm/strumming, and then for instrumental breaks I flip the switch up to position #4, both in series. I like the added girth and increased output of that setting. It's like having a boost right at your fingertips.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  6. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

I like the 4-way switch mod in a Tele, a lot. Very useful.

My favorite Strat mod is wiring the neck and middle pickups to the tone control closest to the volume control, and wiring the bridge pickup to the other tone control. Useful for SSS and HSS configurations.

Collin D Plonker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.