1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele 4 Way Switch... which one/brand.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Ray G, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Ray G

Ray G Tele-Holic

I’m looking for a 4 Way Telecaster switch that would give me the following pickup combinations back to front:

1. Bridge
    2. Bridge / Neck in Parallel
    3. Bridge / Neck in Series
    4. Neck

The 4 Way switches I keep coming across are Oak-Grimbsy and Fender but they both have the Series combination in the 4th position whereas I’d rather have the two neck combinations in positions 2 and 3.

Any and all responses appreciated... thanks in advance.

Arfage and Billy3 like this.
  2. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sorry, I can't answer your actual question but I'll share the following. At one point I "thought" that I would want the 4 way as you do. When I actually got a Tele with the 4 way done as Oak-Grimbsy/Fender, with the positions 1-3 as a "normal Tele" and postion 4 with Bridge/Neck in Series, I ended up liking it that way. I prefer the "original" 3 positions in the traditional order. The 4th In Series/Humbucker-ish position is a great "add on" set of tones and having it "at the end of the line" just feels more intuitive to me.

The builders on the sight should be able to give you an option. Good luck.:)

Maguchi, Tele56, mandofrog and 3 others like this.
  3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Buy either one (I think both are made by O-G, anyway) and watch this video:

Ray G and Greggorios like this.
  4. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My experience exactly, but do what you want. Wherever you put the series option, it is a favorite of mine. Sorry I can't help with the wiring.

5. Vocalion

Vocalion TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I'd also suggest giving the Free-Way 3B3-01 switch a look.

6. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

7. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have a Tone-Shaper 4-way that I wired the way you describe (as shown in the Fralin diagram linked above) in a G&L ASAT. I see nothing to prevent doing it with any 4-way. I've only had mine a couple of months, but no issues so far.

Ray G and Greggorios like this.
  8. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

I think a four position Oak Grigsby switch is a great, very useful mod and I've got it in three of my Tele's. I think of the positions (from the bridge) 1-2-3 as regular Tele combinations and position 4 something special! I don't have an issue with the selection order.

Maguchi, Tele56, Ray G and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ray G

Ray G Tele-Holic

Thanks very much to all for the useful information.

I would like parallel and series at positions 2 and 3 because I use the bridge and neck together 80% of the time and I was thinking it would be easier to jump from parallel to series and back but then again maybe it’d be just as easy or easier to throw the switch from 2 to 4... basically just wack it all the way forward for a solo and then quickly count two clicks to go back.

Thanks again.

Greggorios and gregulator450 like this.
  10. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

you can wire the 4 way to do whatever you want. this pic is from this forum...

upload_2020-11-19_10-7-7.png

I used the diagram in the top right.... but it's wrong. the neck + can NOT jumper to the other side... that side always has neck "minus" and making that connection shorts the pickup. I used the top left diagram on another build and it worked.

on my last 4x I used a new Fender switch and the center wafer was slightly loose.... it would make one direction, but slip and not quite make in the other. I had to superglue it

Billy3, Ray G, SuprHtr and 3 others like this.
  11. pypa

pypa Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I bought a MOJOTONE solderless 4 way switch for my Tele. The thing is, you'll still need to modify a standard neck pickup by running a third wire to it. The Mojotone switch came with instructions.

Ray G likes this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I bought this Oak Grigsby 4-way for my recent Tele build. It was easy to wire it up like you described.

Here's a video that describes how to do it.

Billy3, Greggorios and Ray G like this.
  13. Ray G

Ray G Tele-Holic

Thank you to everyone for the info.

I watched the video posted by Vocalion for the 6-Way / Freeway Switch and couldn’t resist... at $46 shipped (Motor City Guitars) I figured it is worthwhile and pulled the trigger. More than I planned on spending this morning for a switch but worth a chance. The additional 3 sounds are combos... series, series out of phase, and parallel out of phase. Not at all like the switching I’d asked about originally, LOL. I had been looking over Bill and Becky Lawrence’s schematic for the half out of phase Tele mod earlier and as it happens you can replace a wire jumper that goes between two lugs of the Freeway switch with a 0.01uF capacitor and the out of phase positions now become half out of phase ala Bill & Becky and I am certain that is the route I’ll go.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    RomanS, beanluc and Vocalion like this.
  14. pi

pi Tele-Meister

Oak-Grimbsy
    But if you're going to go 4-way, why not get a standard 5-way switch? Then you have another option. There's several options that you can use for that extra position, if you search around.

Ray G likes this.
  15. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Beautiful Telecaster, interesting switch.

Ray G likes this.
  16. Vocalion

I think you'll really enjoy using it. The word on the street is that some have had success getting that elusive Peter Green Les Paul sound (out of phase humbuckers) by using the out of phase in series position and rolling off the tone if that's your sort of thing.

Ray G likes this.
  17. Ray G

Ray G Tele-Holic

Actually at one point in the video when the girl (an excellent player btw) kicked in a dirt pedal and went through the 4, 5, and 6 positions with overdrive one of the two Out of Phase sounds immediately reminded me of Brian May.

18. Vocalion

If anyone's curious about the girl who did the demo, here's a "Tuesday Talks" interview she did with Mary Spender.

Ray G likes this.
  19. Stinger22

Stinger22 TDPRI Member

I was going to install a four way as on a rebuild but found this switch. Liked so much installing one on my goto Tele.

Ray G likes this.
  20. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't believe it's possible without a 5 way SUPER switch.

A Strat-O-tone 5 way is actually just a 3 way switch, with two more lever stops (2 and 4 the "in-betweens").

Ray G and Deaf Eddie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.