Tele 4-way switch w/single + mini-hum neck pup wiring?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by GorgeousTones, Apr 15, 2019.

1. GorgeousTones

GorgeousTones Tele-Meister

Hey guys, I can’t find a wiring diagram for this specific setup. It’s a Fralin Blues special in the Bridge & A Seymour Duncan Firebird style mini-humbucker in the neck.
    -The majority of diagrams I could find describe the addition of 3rd lead to the neck pickup coming from the base or metal cover, I’m not sure.. But I think I remember reading that it’s not necessary for an uncovered neck position pickup??

*The weird thing is the Fralin Bridge came with a 3rd lead, which is black and is soldered to the bottom baseplate. I’ve seen this before (for example when I bought a different Lindy Fralin single coil not part of a set) and I usually just ground it to the back of a pot like the other black lead and forget about it. I don’t think this is significant here but I figured I’d mention it just in case

Anyway. Can anyone help me out with this I already tried wiring it a few different ways based on diagrams for pickup arrangements different than mine and couldn’t get it working right. Again it’s just a standard Tele single coil Bridge + A mini-humbucker with a shielded metal lead/two conductors if you count the grounded shielding.. Thanks guys!!

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm watching this one, as I'm going to try a 4-way switch with a Firebird neck pickup and a '51 Nocaster bridge pickup.

GorgeousTones likes this.
  3. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

I dont have one with your specific pups but I use this I drew up for all my SH builds. I lean towards Bill Lawrence's pups so that is what is drawn with duncan code listed. Your few number of wires on the mini HB likely won't have a coil split option so you would have to figure that option.[​IMG]

Eric

4. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Is your neck pickup this one, with a traditional Braided shield/ground, and a single hot wire inside the shield?
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/antiquity-ii-firebird-bridge
    And you have a bridge pickup with a separate wire that just comes off the baseplate?
    Then I think this may be what you want.
    Tele 4-Way Neck Ground (Different).jpg
    The neck pickup shield goes to ground as the black wire in the picture above. I think the base plate wire from the bridge pickup becomes the green one. But I am not looking at your rig so I can't guarantee.

Do the smarter guys here concur?

Cheers,
    Rex

Deaf Eddie and eallen like this.
  5. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So, would the three pickups then act like a three coil pickup the way 2 single coil pickups would act like a single 2 coil pickup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

After reading Rex and rereading the OP, I'm not one of the smarter guys but I concur.

I missed the single with a braid on the HB. The simple limit of the mini-bucker verses a full means it is basically treated like an SS wiring without an extra neck wire for the cover.

Eric

7. GorgeousTones

GorgeousTones Tele-Meister

-Yes my neck pickup is exactly that.. (P90/Vintage style metallic braided shield/ground with the hot lead inside it)

The bridge position pickup is a bit odd. It’s a Lindy Fralin Blues Special that I bought direct from his website as a single (not part of a set). For those of you not familiar with Fralin, he puts a lot of emphasis on getting correct polarity/phase if you’re pairing a non Fralin with one of his. And he makes every possible effort to help you do so.

*However, on his website I’ve seen him state; “we only sell our neck Tele pickups wired to the cover/third lead for phase switching, never our bridge pup’s”.. And I’ve never seen or heard of a Tele bridge wired this way. But I did receive one of his P90 voiced single-coil Strat pickups wire exactly the same way so..?

*I tried wiring the 4-way switch according to a diagram similar to the one you posted but I couldn’t get it working. It may have been the diagram or it could’ve just been me and I made a mistake. I did read in a couple of other threads, that in order to do this with a non-splittable humbucker wired like mine you had to tear the pickup open and then add/change the wiring to make this work. I really hope that is not the case, as I’m not willing to do that to an expensive pickup that I really love!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.