Tele-2 - Thinline-type

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jim_in_PA, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I more or less started this body at about the same time as my first build and showed the start of the finishing process in that thread. Well, it's time to move this one along.

Specifications for this Thinline-inspired body is a hunk of left-over heart-pine topped with vertical grain Douglas fir. I typically use Target Coatings finishing products...tinted coats for the burst were colored with TransTint dye and then clear coated with EM7000HB with the crosslinker (many coats). The black on the back is General Finishes "milk paint" in lamp black (actually an acrylic) which is also top-coated with the EM7000HB. That all happened about a month or so ago. This week, I attacked it with Micromesh to bring it to the place you see here. In a few days, it will get polished with Mcguire's once I'm done assisting Professor Dr. SWMBO with extracting honey from her honeybee colonies. I can't wait to see how the shine comes up even more. (I don't normally do gloss with the majority of my commission work for furniture and other things)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to be honest...I've never taken finishing to this level before and it's pretty satisfying so far. This body isn't perfect...there are things that could have been better executed, but wow...it's perdy!

Next step will be the neck. Part of me wants to take the "violin" idea further so today I ran a neck with a scroll motif that I had modeled a few weeks ago just to see how it might look. I'm on the fence. I've also been working on a Music Man style headstock design (4 + 2) that in some ways is more universally appealing to me if I decide to continue to build these things over and over for some reason. (That's a perfectly logical thing for a guy who can barely play guitar to do, right? :D )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just as a note 'cause someone's going to ask...that's primer in the pockets. The conductive paint doesn't like to stick to the slick acrylic finish and I was out of the darker primer I keep around.

2. Guitar MD

Guitar MD TDPRI Member

For future reference, copper foil w adhesive backing works great w slick finishes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  3. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Jim, that looks fantastic.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  4. E-miel

E-miel TDPRI Member

I said it before, but I really love that guitar body! I think that headstock is nice, but not for this guitar. But that's just my opinion :)

Jim_in_PA and howardlo like this.
  5. Jim_in_PA

After thinking about it overnight, I'm agreeing with that. I'm going to continue to work on the Music Man style 4+2 headstock and I have a nice stick of thermal modified material to cut it from one I do a test piece from something else lying around the shop.

6. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

beautiful ... seriously

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  7. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Gorgeous guitar!

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  8. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Aaaawwwwww... Drooool!!! Looks awesome!!!!

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  9. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

That’s a honey Jim. Really nice guitar.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  10. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Holy s~~t Jim Fir never looks that fantastic when I use it:D

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  11. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i love the scroll work on the headstock... but the sharp corners around it don't really fit or do it justice. it looks like BC Rich or Dean made a violin haha. you should try something a little softer before giving that idea up though

12. Jim_in_PA

Thanks!! It's Vertical Grain D-fir left over from this 89" x 52" "kitchen continent" top I did for a client last year....and yes, I have more. :) It's also readily available from one of my suppliers for about $7.60 a board foot for 8/4 x 6" stock. I have to buy a 16' stick, but I'm fine with that.

[​IMG]

Yea, I may play with the idea some more, but I'm leaning more to this design at this point...maybe for all the Tele-types I build to make them "mine", as it were.

[​IMG]

BluesBlooded likes this.
  13. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

I'm still really liking that body :)

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  14. Jim_in_PA

Hah! I was just thinking of you yesterday. Once I get this polished, I'll shoot you some photos.

ejphotos likes this.
  15. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

Sounds good :)

16. Jim_in_PA

I had a few minutes today to cut a sample of the MM style neck...I still have some work to do on the transition between the neck and the headstock in the modeling, but the sample confirms to my eye that this is an attractive design. I have more scrap material to cut additional samples from and I ordered some tuners and a nut to be absolutely sure I have the tuner holes placed correctly. I want to test that before I cut a "real neck" out of more expensive stock for obvious reasons. Please disregard the color of the materials including the sample fretboard...I'm just working things out here. My intention is likely something "roasted" for the real neck for a body colored like this and probably a dark fretboard, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brandonh, Freekmagnet, MM73 and 5 others like this.
  17. Jim_in_PA

I made my intended changes to the headstock model and cut another sample. I had also ordered the tuners so that I could verify that I have them placed correctly...being a different design than the standard Telecaster type 6 in-line headstock, it's important that the tuners be positioned correctly so that the strings pass through the nut to the tuners in a straight line. I didn't have the actual tuners when I did the design, so this second sample is the opportunity to correct any minor alignment...and as it turns out, I do need to shift things about a millimeter and a half inward on both rows for ideal tuner placement. I'll take care of that in the software and cut a third sample which will be two sided this time so I can confirm the neck back transition into the headstock works. I'm not seeking perfection off the CNC in that respect because there is still a ton of hand work that goes into finishing things to final contour. The CNC is just a tool to get me there and handle truly "critical" measurements. To enable the measurements, I fastened a sample finger board to the sample neck, press-fit a pre-slotted nut and then used a straight edge to judge the string lines to the actual tuners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm liking this design a lot at this point...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Looks good Jim, love the J in the headstock.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  19. Jim_in_PA

Thanks, André. 'Just a simple personalization--clean I think.

20. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

Are you going to need string tees/trees with that layout?

Jim_in_PA likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.