Tele 1975: if you were in my place what would you do?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by asquinet, Apr 26, 2019.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I, too, would pass on that Tele that's not really intact (bridge pup, beltsanded back, etc.). I'd buy a used AVRI Tele for far less money.

There's a '71 124 Spyder in the family. One of the cousins has had it for a decade, but IIRC we have first option if he gets sick of maintaining it.

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That back is very weird, the grain is pretty cool and I'd feel inclined to strip the whole thing and make it natural gloss or something. Except the front doesn't need a refinish.

The wear is not natural and it's pretty weird the fretboard doesn't have a ton of wear.

If I really wanted it, I'd ask for pics with the hardware and neck off the body.

Getting an original pickup in that is kind of a weird idea, it's more of a "player guitar", you should put in whatever sounds good because it's not a collectible guitar like it is.

3. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

A key item you mention is the comfort of the neck. That means a LOT.

Keep one thing in mind. Vintage, when talking guitars, is NOT the 1970's. It may be old, but that is not a vintage Tele. Ask Gruhn, or Carter, or Harris. They will agree.

Now, if you really love that guitar........like all the "natural" wear, love the sound and feel, and are comfortable with changing the bridge pickup (no need to do that unless you dislike what is in it), then BUY IT and LOVE IT.

One thing is genuinely certain, it will appreciate because it is an old USA Fender. .... .. not a vintage Fender, but also not $10,000+

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  4. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

Sorry, but I don't want to get in your pants. Couldn't help it :lol:

5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i would play it & make music

6. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

2000 euro is too expensive I think.

1200 will buy a nice 52 AVRI here in Ireland.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  7. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Not pounds or euro, mybe 2000$

8. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

To me it looks like a cool guitar if it's at a reasonable price. I am not familiar with the market in Italy to judge prices, but for here, I'd say that price is high. But I know it's different here.

9. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Hello everybody and thank you for your massive participation!!! I will try to respond to most points.

Firstly, I already bought few weeks ago a 1969 Telecaster (you can see here: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/new-member-new-for-me-tele-circa-1969-body-refin.941611/) and for a series of circumstances I ran into this 1975 (a friend of mine speaking about my new acquisition popped up with: "Oh, really? Me too have a Tele...") So, I am not "strictly" in need of this other Tele, but enticed by the price, 2000 Euros (maybe appears high in United States; here in Italy under 3500 Euros you cannot find a 1975 Tele) I saw it and... here was a little spark!!!

It is true, 1975 it is not an interesting year for Telecaster; even it is not vintage (but maybe could will become in the future...); even was not particular year for me, I was 15 years old, like @teletimetx has correctly calculated. Responding to you, Teletimetx, I like to play rock. I stopped with guitar about 20 years ago. I don't know why. Then I married, now two daughters are 15 and 16 and there is about one year that sacred fire of rock was lit up again... But this also made me a dangerous serial collector!!!! I can falling in love with guitars very easy...

(for Rufustelestrats: there are two reasons I cannot bring the Vespa with hot Italian girl: 1) my Spanish wife allow me collect guitars, not girls:lol::lol::lol:; 2) I have not a Vespa:(:()

Most of you pointed out (apart price) the bad condition on the back of the body. Absolutely unnatural, probably a bad attempt of stripping not completed.

In conclusion, I believe you have persuaded me: maybe it is better keep in pocket money and wait for another occasion, maybe with a little more money, but with less issues.
    Thank you one by one to everybody from my heart, sincerely!!! Even @buddyboy, you helped me to smile!!!:)

10. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

The neck on my seventy five is awesome. But I think you're doing the right thing passing on this one. Is there any wiggle room on the price?

11. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

I don't know if I would buy a FIAT (Fix It Again Tomorrow) but I would buy the guitar IF that's what I wanted. Obviously, if you ask for opinions as to wether people would buy a particular guitar, you're probably going to get as many different opinions as answers. I bought a '78 Custom from the Guitar Center vintage site, sight unseen (I had no choice, it was not in my town) AND I had three days to return it, but it's all original and the price was lower because it was advertised as a refin which I didn't mind, but it turned out not to be a refin but a weird faded sienna burst. It was everything I hoped for. pretty heavy but I like heavier guitars. Follow your instinct.

12. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

"that sacred fire of rock was lit again," is worthy of tenacious D song!

asquinet and RadioFM74 like this.
  13. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Asquinet , I often visit your wonderful country , usually twice every year. I understand a bit of your language and often run into things listed in Italy online.

Point is , it's my impression that guitar related things are stupid expensive in Italy ?

Guitars , parts , everything......
    To the point of several eBay sellers that pop up on , say , German eBay because they deliver outside of the country asking almost double the price for a guitar compared to German dealers...
    Maybe you should look outside of the border ?

I certainly think it's possible to get a nice 70's Tele for quite a bit less than 3500 euros

14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with Larry K William's sentiments. The most important thing is if YOU like it, warts and all, get it.

15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Late to party but just for kicks. You may want to buy it because you think it’s a great price and you’ll make a profit, or because you collect 70s memorabilia. In that case, I don’t have any suggestion to offer.

OR you’ve played it and it really spoke to you. I know the 7’s teles I tried did not, but every tele is different and I’m sure there’s diamonds in every era. In that case, I’d buy it.

Otherwise, you can find a banged up AVRI 52 on the Italian market for ≈1200€, or maybe wait for an AVRI 64 to pop up (≈ 1400), and IMHO you’ll be much better off. Better materials, better workmanship, better electronics, better looks (now THAT’s very subjective), …

@viking Yes: the Italian market is crazy. Everyone that has, say, a beat-up late 60s cab with swapped out speakers thinks it’s God knows what treasure and will have to be the sale of the year. Even people selling (good) chinese-made archtops get incensed if you observe that their asking price is just 10% below the price for new at Thomann, with a warranty and return policy… Let’ not even talk about good vintage pieces. The good stuff in the market, fairly priced, evaporates very fast! But my impression is that this is the (sad) state of the European market more generally…

16. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

I would not buy it. I've seen better Teles from the mid 70s which were all stock and sold for 1500 Euro on ebay

17. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

I would pass on that 1975 Tele. If it was $1800 I "might" consider it ONLY IF it was not over 7 pounds AND it sounded / played great.

18. mally

mally Tele-Holic

lol it looks just like the one I have ! even down to the gasket on the neck plate

19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

according to page 118 of the vintage guitar price guide 2018

a '75 american tele, black ,blonde, or olympic white
    in low condition $2200.00 USD, in high condition $2900.00 USD

this takes into account:
    a) the guitar is all original
    b) the high condition is factory new condition

who ever is selling it is asking top dollar ( or Euro) for a road worn , and heavily modified guitar , by any standard a fair price would be the equivelant of about 1300.00 USD,
    the reason is :
    a) you need to source original parts
    b) buy them and have them installed to factory standard and spec to bring it up to the low condition price tag, dont be sparkly eyed

I never played a 75 tele ( I'm southpaw ) mine were all right handed early 60's,

just a sugestion maybe cool down before you jump on it , but know that if you do buy it , it will cost you money to restore it , but if you get it to have a player just as it is and you are happy with it , have a happy NDG

20. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1, if it doesn't make you happy don't buy it just because someone considers it vintage. $2000.00 can buy some very nice guitars including new Fenders and some great boutique builders if you're not into building one yourself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.