1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Teisco Telecaster Build (newbie)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Julian, May 2, 2009.

1. Julian

Julian Tele-Meister

My 1st build is a Teisco Telecaster with Stratocaster neck.

The pickups are Teisco (not the foil type) which I purchased in Ebay for $25.00 a pair.
    [​IMG]

The body is from Rondo ($45.00). I do not have a router so I used a chisel to enlarge the standard neck pickup cavity.
    [​IMG]

I will be installing a TOM bridge instead of the typical tele bridge. I have to decide on a Bigsby tremolo or a Jazzmaster type tremolo. I am leaning towards the Bigsby because making a cavity with a chisel is not much fun.
    [​IMG]

Nevertheless I still have to enlarge the bridge pickup cavity with the chisel.

[​IMG]

I will need a custom pick guard. Can anyone recommend a dealer?

2. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

Cool project! For the pickguard, I personally would order a blank Esquire pickguard and cut it for your pickup, or order one that may be a similar size so you just need to trim it (i.e. for a P-90 or mini humbucker). You can get any of these (as well as an inexpensive Teisco-style Bigsby variant) and www.guitarfetish.com. Alternatively, pickups such as those were typically surface mounted, and if if you're using a TOM bridge in addition to shimming the neck, you might have enough clearance to mount the pickups on the surface of the guitar (as with DeArmonds).

I needed to cut an Esquire pickguard here at school a while back for a neck pickup and I don't have my router and such here so I did it with only a drill, some files, a pizza box, and sandpaper. I started by laying a precut Tele pickguard on top of the Esquire pickguard and then used the pickguard screws to anchor the two of them into the box, sandwiched together. I then followed up with some painters tape to add stability and proceeded to hog out as much material as possible with the drill, leaving about 1/16th of an inch for final shaping with the files and sandpaper. Believe it or not, it turned out nearly perfect (proof that having a template is a lifesaver).

Another thing is that it may not be wise to mount the bridge pickup angled for string spacing reasons since it looks as though both pickups have the same spread. Perhaps if you surface mount it parallel to the bridge and make a cover for the cavity to go around it, it would leave less visual scarring.

3. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are you sure you want to use those pickups. When I think back to the Teisco guitars from the '60s it sends a chill up my back.

4. Julian

Julian Tele-Meister

Thanks for your input. I aligned the neck bridge in such a way that the strings will be over the magnets. I am not sure if the strings will align correctly over the bridge pickup if I install it in the standard tele fashion.

The pickups are quite tall (or deep). I would really have to shim that neck big time to do a surface mount. That is why I thought I could install them in a P-90 style.

My number one concern is finding a pick guard to accommodate the pups. The other issue is that the tele pick guards don't extend all the way to the bridge. They end at the metal plate that supports the bridge pickup.

I am familiar with Guitar Fetish, but have never seen that tremolo.

I will have to decide on how I do the bridge pickup soon.

5. Julian

Julian Tele-Meister

The surf music folks seem to like them.

I hear they are very microphonic, but a lot of folks love them.

6. Julian

Julian Tele-Meister

Follow up:

Using the chisel:[​IMG]

Done!
    I injured the body, but the damage will be covered by the pick guard.

[​IMG]

Question:

I have this old Rondo SX Strat neck.
    How do I know where to drill the holes in the guitar pocket so they match the holes in the neck?

[​IMG]

The bottom of the Strat neck is convex and it does not match the typical rectangular tele pocket. (see prior images). I assume that the option is to get a pick guard that can cover the gap.

However, I remembered I had this old 1987 Casio MIDI guitar with a Strat neck and a fret board that overhangs. Should I use this neck? Does anyone know if Casio MIDI guitars have any value for collectors?

[​IMG]

7. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

You could put some pins or screws in the holes so they stick proud of the neck, position the neck and tap it down so that the screws mark the positions on the bottom of the pocket.

But i would be tempted to fill the holes with dowel and sand flush. Then using a drawing like Tdowns's tele template that is on the TDPRI mark the positions on the back of the body and drill through. Then put your neck in the pocket, and mark the locations on the neck.

8. IrishMail

IrishMail Tele-Meister

9. Julian

Julian Tele-Meister

Wow! I am a regular Guitar Fetish customer and never saw this one.

Does the guitar stay in tune?

I would use it very mildly for surf music and I usually lubricate my guitar nuts.

The price is very attractive and it would match with the pups.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  10. Jack Wells

My SX Tele Copy neck used the same hole pattern as found on Fenders. One option would be to crop and print the neck pocket from the Terry Downs drawing and use that as a pattern before doweling your neck.

11. Julian

Julian Tele-Meister

I guess the easiest way is to fill the existing holes in the neck with dowels and drill from the back of the guitar pocket using the metal plate as a template.

But, what if the new holes are adjacent to the old ones. Would that be considered a good thing?

12. Jack Wells

The easiest way is to make a pattern like I said......... place in in the neck pocket and drill the holes. No need to drill in the neck.

It's easy enough to print the hole pattern and see if it matches your neck holes............or just take measurements on your neck. Do they match these measurements.

......[​IMG]

13. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    HERE is how I would do it.

14. Julian

Julian Tele-Meister

Thanks!

I will try that tonite when I get home:p.

15. Julian

Julian Tele-Meister

Wow!

I just found out a custom made pick guard can cost more than $100.00. This would be more than the price of the guitar.

I think I will have to make my own pick guard.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

16. Julian

Julian Tele-Meister

The pick guard would have to be something like this:
    [​IMG]

I think it looks awkward

17. Julian

Julian Tele-Meister

Maybe this pick guard may work:

[​IMG]

Something like this with Teisco pick ups:

[​IMG]

18. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

You can use a standard pickguard trimmed for your neck pickup and then just cut a piece of aluminum to act as a trim ring for the bridge pickup that would cover the cavity (basically like a G.E. Smith bridge, but you keep the part you cut off instead).

19. 62_Inca_Esquire

62_Inca_Esquire Tele-Afflicted

Cool project you've got going ! The Tele Deluxe pickguard might be a good option if you can get one cut without the pickup holes. Maybe try Jeannie Pickguards ? Another option is to cut your own using tin and tinsnips, like I did with this Esquire guard - you could keep it bright and shiny, or age it like I did. Helps with shielding too ! :lol:

[​IMG]

20. Julian

Julian Tele-Meister

How did you get such nice edges?

My concern is that a home made pick guard may have a non-smooth edge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.