teenie hodges...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by bjjrev, May 10, 2014.

1. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

Hi guys... I am interested in learning more about teenie. Most pics I see show teenie live using a strat or LP. Does anyone know what his Hi records sessions were recorded with? It seems that records like love and happiness were recorded with a really bright clean set up like a tele straight into a twin... does anyone have any info on this living legend that seems to stay in the background???

2. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

Glad you brought him up! I await a torrent of info. . . .

3. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

Oh no. did I break some type of unspoken rule? Was my question an obvious answer Like asking what steve croppers fav guitar is??? Haha

4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

me, too.

i've heard guitar players make it scream, howl, moan, cry, laugh, and cluck like a chicken. teenie hodges is the only one who made it PURR...

and i'd like to know more about him.

5. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

Has anyone watched the documentary about him "A Portrait of a Memphis Soul Original."?

6. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

Does it cover his gear?

7. black_doug

By 1991 he's playing a Gibson. At 3:55 he starts off Love and Happiness in this jam in Japan.

8. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

No clue... I know it exists and was shown at sxsw but cant seem to find it to view anywhere.

9. black_doug

All the YouTube videos of early Al Green shows have him with another guitar player and band. I believe the Hi Rhythm band must've stayed in the studio.

10. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

11. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

I know... That's my problem... cant find much.

12. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

13. thunderbyrd

is teenie hodges in this video, playing a headless guitar? i understand that this is supposed to be al green's band:

14. black_doug

Yup. He's seated just behind Cat, a little to her left, dressed in white. He stands up when the music rises. Then he's seated again at the end.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  15. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

I realize this is a very old thread but I can’t resist sharing this picture of Tennie Hodges (RIP).

I am just finishing a guitar that will be a gift to a couple that gave me a 6ft by 11 inches by 2.5 inch piece of highly figured maple with some quilting that they had kept for many years….waiting for a project that would be worthy. When they saw the guitars I have made they give me this wood wanting “their” wood to be used for something worthy. I will try. At any rate, they are not guitar players and I wanted them to know why I make this type of guitar…and my “hobby guitar builder” philosophy. A handmade guitar should have a story that helps justify the number of hours that go into building it. I love a tele because it was used to make my favorite music of the 60’s and 70’s, R&B, the music of Al Green (Tennie was Al Green’s guitar player), and Bobby Womack, Reggie Young, Steve Cropper and Jimmy Johnson. (Who is Jimmy Johnson…he needed a better PR man) For those of you that don’t know he was part the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section and is on the records of Etta James, Wilson Pickett, Percy Sledge and Aretha Franklin. As you know most of these guys played the tele at one time or another. As I was writing a little note that will go with my guitar to the generous couple I was wondering what guitar Tennie played on those records in the 60’s. Well I did not find a picture anywhere of him playing a tele. What I did find was this picture of him some time before he died. I think this picture pretty much sums up what Tennie thought of a tele.

teenie-hodges.jpg

black_doug and thunderbyrd like this.
  16. thunderbyrd

it's been my understanding that Hodges played telecasters on the Al Green records - but i do not remember where i got that idea...

wadeeinkauf likes this.
  17. black_doug

I've asked myself what guitar he's playing at Hi. Maybe he played more than one or maybe he changed from one to another. I haven't made an extensive study but I'm hearing a humbucker.

18. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

I'd never heard of Teenie Hodges before but when I played your video I instantly thought "Al Green's guitar player", very distinctive sound.

wadeeinkauf likes this.
  19. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

always thought he played a super 400 gibson....

20. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

I believe this was one of his last collaborations. Frazey dedicated it to him anway as he passed away not long after.

She discusses working with the Hodges in this video.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Jim W and wadeeinkauf like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.