Ted Turner of Wishbone Ash--Strat superstar!

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Holic
I recently got into this really cool rock band called Wishbone Ash about a few months ago. If you haven't heard them, you really need to check them out! The invention of British guitarist Andy Powell, they formed in 1967 along with lead guitarist Ted Turner, bassist Martin Turner and drummer Steve Upton. Their first album, Wishbone Ash, was released in 1970 and became a big hit in the group's native England. However, it was 1972's Argus that broke the band's commercial window, featuring the twin guitar snarls of Andy Powell and guitarist Ted Turner, and contained such favorites as Blowin' Free and Throw Down The Sword. The follow-up, Wishbone Four, was released in 1973, and was so named because it was their fourth studio album. (Wishbone Four was also the group's highest charting album on the Billboard 200 chart, charting no higher than #44). However, following the release of a live 2 record set, Live Dates, that same year, Ted Turner left the group.

Whilst Andy Powell's main guitars were various Gibson Flying Vs, a Fender Telecaster, a Gibson Firebird, a Gibson SG Junior and an Epiphone Texan acoustic guitar, Ted Turner also played a Gibson Firebird, a black Gibson Les Paul, a lap steel, a 12 string acoustic, and a pre-CBS Fender Stratocaster. Ted has owned various Strats, including a white Strat:
1656478544242.png

a yellowish Strat with a maple board:
1656478595805.png

And finally, a mid-fifties Strat that had a maple fingerboard. This particular Strat, which was used on every Wishbone Ash album up to Live Dates, is a sunburst, and it had to have been made well before 1959 as Fender phased out maple fingerboards in the later period of that year.
1656478712917.png

Ted grew up in Birmingham, England, and played in several rock bands throughout Birmingham. As a teenager, Ted was also friends with Jeff Lynne, the guitarist and lead singer for ELO.
However, sometime in 2005, most of Ted Turner's guitars were stolen from his estate in Worcestershire, including
Gibson Les Paul
A '1958 re-issue' Les Paul Standard in Tobacco Sunburst, with a highly figured quilt maple top. Custom finished by Tom Murphy.

Woodworm Stratocaster
This is a Stratocaster style guitar with a natural quilted maple top and figured maple neck.
It is very unusual in that it has a P90 style pickup fitted in the bridge position. This guitar was custom built for Ted by Rob Williams.

Fender Telecaster
Again, custom-built using a woodworm quilted maple topped body with very rare Joe Bardon pickups. The body is finished in a green sunburst effect.

Carvin 12-string
A black Carvin 12-string guitar with two humbucking pickups.

Ernie Ball Music Man
A 4-string Ernie Ball Music Man bass guitar. Natural finish. Very early issue and very rare.

Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez Artcore jazz-style semi acoustic guitar finished in Tobacco Sunburst.

Epiphone Les Paul
An Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul guitar with P90 style pickups.

Fender Stratocaster
A white Fender Stratocaster, factory fitted with the Roland GK Pickup.
A 'Roland Ready' Stratocaster.

Custom Telecaster style guitar
A grey Telecaster style guitar of unknown origin. It is noticeable as it has a moon symbol inlaid on the headstock.

Turner Acoustic
A Turner 12-string acoustic guitar.

Also, a collection of Lap Steel Guitars, including an especially unusual model with a Roland GK pickup fitted, and a Gibson, have also been taken, alongside a range of acoustic stringed instruments and some Line 6 and Roland guitar-processing hardware. It is unknown if this sunburst Strat was stolen, but if it was, I wonder if it was ever recovered and if he still owns it.
Ted Turner's replacement in Wishbone Ash, Laurie Wisefield, also played in a band called Home, which included ACDC bassist Cliff Williams. Laurie mainly played various Les Pauls, a Tele and a sunburst pre-CBS Strat that looked exactly like the one Ted used. It almost looked like a Strat Buddy Holly would have played.
I have Wishbone Four, Live Dates and Just Testing in my record collection.
Here are some good Wishbone Ash songs featuring Ted Turner's spiffy licks:

And if you're just getting used to Wishbone Ash and need to own one album, it has to be Argus. That album is 50 years old!

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
The band was formed by Ted Turner and Steve Upton in Torquay. They put an ad in Melody Maker for a guitarist and Ted and Andy were the best candidates, but the band couldn't make up their mind. Andy said, "Fine. I'm taking a little trip to Marakesh. Let me know when I get back." Eventually Ted and Steve decided to keep both, and that led to the sound that influenced so many.

As I recall, the sunburst Strat was stolen from his flat in London and the three pickup Les Paul Custom was dropped off a truck at an airport and ruined. Their Ryder truck and entire Orange backline from the '73 tour was stolen, ending the tour. They used those really powerful amps to get a relatively clean tone, driving them wide open to get power amp distortion. That's the sound you hear on '73's Live Dates.

Wishbone-ash-charlotte-nc-m.jpg

One of Andy's Oranges was finally returned a few years ago. A guy just brought it to the front of the stage and apologized. Andy had it restored and toured it a little. They are now running Orange amps again after decades.

Andy still has his Flying '67 V. It has become fragile after multiple refrets and he mostly only takes it out when he is playing around his home in... New England. The rest of the time he plays a handful of luthier-built clones of the V and his early-50s Tele that was once owned by... Roy Buchanan.

Andy+Powell2.jpg

I've got a copy of the 1974 Guitar Player Magazine interview with Wishbone Ash. You can see the dynamic that probably led to Ted leaving the band in the interview: Andy has a high-energy thing going and Ted is really, really laid back, searching for the right words to answer. Andy often kind of nervously cuts in and supplies the answers for Ted. Nervous energy is what I feel from Andy in the article, and caution from Ted. By the time the magazine was published, Ted had left the band. As soon as he left the band, Ted went on a spiritual sojourn to find himself. One by one the other members of the band left and Andy soldiered on.

Andy now owns and manages the band by virtue of Britain's "Last Man Standing" law that stipulates that if everyone leaves a legal partnership without any ownership plan, the member who is left and continues the entity owns everything. It entirely makes logical sense to me. Otherwise, anyone who had been a part could elbow in, decades later, and demand a share of the pie that has been built and maintained by the "last man standing."

I've seen WA twice, the last time in 2019, and I've talked with Andy about his guitars. They come out after every show and talk to the audience members who stick around.

wishbone1schultz.jpg

wishbone2a.jpg

Bob

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
A favourite band of mine since I first heard 'Argus' on headphones as a kid.

'Live Dates' (with Ted Turner) and 'Live Dates II' (with Laurie Wisefield) are some of the best live show recordings ever, IMHO.

I still listen to them.

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
I recently got into this really cool rock band called Wishbone Ash about a few months ago. If you haven't heard them, you really need to check them out! The invention of British guitarist Andy Powell, they formed in 1967 along with lead guitarist Ted Turner, bassist Martin Turner and drummer Steve Upton. Their first album, Wishbone Ash, was released in 1970 and became a big hit in the group's native England. However, it was 1972's Argus that broke the band's commercial window, featuring the twin guitar snarls of Andy Powell and guitarist Ted Turner, and contained such favorites as Blowin' Free and Throw Down The Sword. The follow-up, Wishbone Four, was released in 1973, and was so named because it was their fourth studio album. (Wishbone Four was also the group's highest charting album on the Billboard 200 chart, charting no higher than #44). However, following the release of a live 2 record set, Live Dates, that same year, Ted Turner left the group.

Whilst Andy Powell's main guitars were various Gibson Flying Vs, a Fender Telecaster, a Gibson Firebird, a Gibson SG Junior and an Epiphone Texan acoustic guitar, Ted Turner also played a Gibson Firebird, a black Gibson Les Paul, a lap steel, a 12 string acoustic, and a pre-CBS Fender Stratocaster. Ted has owned various Strats, including a white Strat:
View attachment 999032
View attachment 999033
And finally, a mid-fifties Strat that had a maple fingerboard. This particular Strat, which was used on every Wishbone Ash album up to Live Dates, is a sunburst, and it had to have been made well before 1959 as Fender phased out maple fingerboards in the later period of that year.
View attachment 999038
Ted grew up in Birmingham, England, and played in several rock bands throughout Birmingham. As a teenager, Ted was also friends with Jeff Lynne, the guitarist and lead singer for ELO.
However, sometime in 2005, most of Ted Turner's guitars were stolen from his estate in Worcestershire, including
Gibson Les Paul
A '1958 re-issue' Les Paul Standard in Tobacco Sunburst, with a highly figured quilt maple top. Custom finished by Tom Murphy.

Woodworm Stratocaster
This is a Stratocaster style guitar with a natural quilted maple top and figured maple neck.
It is very unusual in that it has a P90 style pickup fitted in the bridge position. This guitar was custom built for Ted by Rob Williams.

Fender Telecaster
Again, custom-built using a woodworm quilted maple topped body with very rare Joe Bardon pickups. The body is finished in a green sunburst effect.

Carvin 12-string

Ernie Ball Music Man
A 4-string Ernie Ball Music Man bass guitar. Natural finish. Very early issue and very rare.

Ibanez Artcore

Epiphone Les Paul

Fender Stratocaster

A grey Telecaster style guitar of unknown origin. It is noticeable as it has a moon symbol inlaid on the headstock.

Turner Acoustic

Also, a collection of Lap Steel Guitars, including an especially unusual model with a Roland GK pickup fitted, and a Gibson, have also been taken, alongside a range of acoustic stringed instruments and some Line 6 and Roland guitar-processing hardware. It is unknown if this sunburst Strat was stolen, but if it was, I wonder if it was ever recovered and if he still owns it.
Ted Turner's replacement in Wishbone Ash, Laurie Wisefield, also played in a band called Home, which included ACDC bassist Cliff Williams. Laurie mainly played various Les Pauls, a Tele and a sunburst pre-CBS Strat that looked exactly like the one Ted used. It almost looked like a Strat Buddy Holly would have played.

And if you're just getting used to Wishbone Ash and need to own one album, it has to be Argus. That album is 50 years old!

Argus is a great album, the cover photo is iconic. Very underrated band.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
Argus...bought it after seeing them on OGWT. I recall an interview back then with Martin, where he said he hated the sound an d feel of new Roto RS66 so he covered them with ketchup. Not sure if he was trolling.....

Guithartic

Tele-Holic

View attachment 999032
View attachment 999033
View attachment 999038
Gibson Les Paul

Woodworm Stratocaster

Fender Telecaster

Carvin 12-string

Ernie Ball Music Man

Ibanez Artcore

Epiphone Les Paul

Fender Stratocaster

Turner Acoustic

You need to copy and paste this into Wikipedia.