techy advice needed , more of an affirmation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Feb 25, 2017.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Im fixing a digital guitar preamp a ART SGX 2000 there are 9 caps I want to replace just off of the power supply circuit, now i have the correct caps 6 X 1000 uf (25V) and 3 X 2200 uf (16V)
    i guess my question is If I used 1000 uf (35V) and 2200 uf (25V) it really would not make a difference, other that the caps not failing as soon if the voltages didnt excede their limitations?

Am I out to lunch here?

Please and thank you

art-sgx-2000-38059.jpg

2. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

No worries.

24 track likes this.
  3. 24 track

Thank you,
    The voltage limits were so close I didnt think it would matter other than a little more head room before the caps failed

4. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You can always exceed the working voltage of an an electrolytic, you just can't go below the original.

I usually use 50 WVDC Electrolytics in all of my low voltage stuff, I have boxes of different values, all 50 volt.

There are other factors, ESR, temperature rating, etc but that's for another thread. :)

24 track likes this.
  5. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

You've got it. As a general rule I always upgrade the voltage and temperature ratings when replacing caps if possible.

24 track likes this.
  6. 24 track

Ive done this in a set of Dell monitors that had 2 key caps that were prone to failure because these two were for some reason Cheap chinese no name caps the rest were brand name ( built in obsolecense?) so i replaced them with over voltage Rubycons no issues so far ( its many years later) , so i thought the same may happen here.
    thanks guys

7. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yes, it is always a good idea to replace electrolytics, bad things happen when they fail...

I've replaced thousands of these things in the past years, failure can range from leaking electrolyte and damaging the board, to becoming tiny blowtorches that will burn a hole through a 18 gauge steel panel, and everything in between...

I also have some Japanese electrolytics in a 1966 tube radio, I re-formed them as they had been sitting for years, they function like new...

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.