Tech21 Blonde vs Oxford?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tomasz, Oct 27, 2021.

1. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

Ok, so the story is, while I love my tube amp, actually bugging and switching everything on in daily jamming operations, when I have a few minutes of time, just seems like a waste of time and energy.

I currently tried the Joyo/HB Actone, but find it too fizzy when digging in, it's hard to do that out without loosing clarity and definition. I was wondering whether the Tech21 blonde or oxford units would be a better fit.

It probably doesn't help, that my reference amp is the DV Mark Galileo 15, which is an 2xEl84, 1xEcc83 section.

Question:
    Am I fooling myself expecting either of the mentioned units to have great presence, nice articulation and lack of fizz? If not, can anyone experience with both, share if they really differ much when it comes to "edge of breakup" tone?

I know the obvious answer is: get both and keep what you like :)

I appreciate any input :)

2. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

If you're talking about home practice, I guess I don't understand what's hard about turning an amp on or what will be easier and more convenient with a new pedal? I keep a rig all set up and ready to go with everything plugged in, I just flip the amp on and a power strip for the pedalboard.
    I don't think (maybe I'm wrong) they have a headphone level output, so you would still need some kind of amplifier at the other end. Even if it's just a headphone amplifier, there are still things you have to turn on.

tomasz and Killing Floor like this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

In my experience getting a pedal is always the most convenient solution.

tomasz and RetroTeleRod like this.
  4. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

Hey @tfarny, I may have oversimplified, in the background I'm talking more than home practice really, would love to have portable board that comes close to pedalboard + amp combo.

Its the tone, I'm struggling to replicate with the Joyo Actone so far I guess.

5. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

I have a Tech 21 Blonde. I use it mostly for getting a clean Fender BF/SF kind of tone, but it can also push into Fender crunch or overdrive sounds or do a Tweed Deluxe kind of vibe.

If that's what you want, the Blonde will be great.

tomasz and sotob like this.
  6. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

The Blonde is a great pedal.

tomasz likes this.
  7. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Comparing the Tech 21 Character pedals, I’ve had a few, including the Blonde. I much prefer the Liverpool and British. The Blonde has a loose, flubby low end, and harsh high end to my ears, and doesn’t take pedals nearly as well.

I’ve since moved on to other, more modern, solutions for going direct at home, but I never got along with the Blonde. Just my opinion. ;)

EDIT: Never tried the Oxford, can’t comment on that one, sorry. But, I stand by my opinion of the Blonde.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    tomasz likes this.
  8. brupop

brupop TDPRI Member

I've got the Tech 21 Liverpool Deluxe (it has balanced direct out with phantom power, 3 presets on each of 2 banks/inputs, effects loop, defeatable cab sim).

The variety of drive tones in the pedal are great and it takes dist./fuzz very well.

I run it into an old M-Audio interface that supplies the phantom power and has adjustable headphone output, great silent practice set-up that can be taken directly to a gig going straight into the PA/board.

tomasz and D_Malone like this.
  9. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

Thank you all die chiming in, what I Heart from you Guys, the Tech21 stuff is of decent quality, but character wise, it's a personal choice.

You gave me some thoughts to check out, thank you:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.