Tech says tubes can't change amp sound

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Twanginator, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Heph333

Heph333 TDPRI Member

I can't hear a difference. That doesn't mean someone else can't. It does mean that the difference may be subtle. I also know that I could mic up a genuine Soldano SLO, post a video on Youtube saying it's a VST and I'll get a dozen comments saying "doesn't sound like the real thing".

Regardless of the reality of tubes, it sounds like this tech is rather opinionated & very pushy with his opinions. While he may be an outstanding tech, he's crap at customer service. I imagine being so opinionated causes a lot of unnecessary conflict with customers. I would pass on grumpy tech & look for someone who understands that the "customer is always right".

Bluey likes this.
  2. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Play a Egnater with the tube blend EL84 / 6v6 to some people and they can comment on the difference while others just think your tripping. My conclusion is it matters more to the player while most punters in the crowd either wouldnt know any difference or even care.

radiocaster likes this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

His ears must be shot.

I won't say there's a million dollars worth of difference, but there's going to be noticeable nuances.

4. motoki1

motoki1 NEW MEMBER!

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd say your tech is about 70% right.... meaning that mostly, tube brand wont change but a tiny bit of anything you will hear.
    Extremes might do so more though. Oddballs, really cheap tubes etc.

But style of tube, like EL84 vs 6L6 etc can make a big difference in what you hear.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There isn't much of a difference in power tubes unless you are playing loud.

northernguitar likes this.
  7. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

7 year old zombie thread.

(It's probably time to change them again.)

Lowerleftcoast and Wally like this.
  8. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

it's exactly the same on my vht special 6. different tube types seem to be more discernable on a single ended amp, i reckon.

9. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Using that idiot as an example is not wise or convincing at all.

10. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Them is some wise words, right there! ;)

Thanx 4 Sharon,
    Gene

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Biasing is a big part of how any tube/tubes sound. Whether or not an amp has adjustable fixed bias, non-adjustable fixed bias or self-bias/cathode bias, when one installs a new tube or set of tubes, there is a rebiasing that takes place by the nature of the tube parameters...unless the replacement tube/tubes have the exact same parameters as the old tubes....or one rebiased with an adjustment.

Whether or not one hears any differences is another matter.

12. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Here's what I learned trying different tubes in a SF Twin Reverb ,,, Four Sovtek 5881s make the amp sound worse set at a quiet volume, say 2 or 3 on the dial. But, with the amp running at about "7" on the volume knob, it sounds textured and has more character than with 6L6s I've used. You have to experiment under the conditions you'll be using the amp.

Wally likes this.
  13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Agreed...
    ime, Biasing is a basic ingredient in comparing results. I have no doubt the
    At there are differences between different tubes, but to know those differences I have to compare different tubes at the same plate dissipation. I have little need for comparisons of different tubes unless I know the Biasing numbers.

14. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I told a customer to return a new set of 6L6 because they sounded lifeless compared with other 6L6 tubes in a '67 Bassman. The amp sounded like a different amp when using the tubes.

It wasn't a bias issue. It wasn't a volume issue. They were a matched set and within tolerance. They sounded much different than other 6L6.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.