Tech help needed

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Hags, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

I have a Catalanbread valcoder tremolo that I use to be able to turn down “off” the speed and depth and have no trem but a really nice sound.
    Now when I turn them down the trem bleeds through. It’s a 2015 and any help will be appreciated

2. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I honestly have no idea, but would guess some component has drifted outside of tolerance or is in the process of failing. I think your best bet would be to reach out to Catalinbread and see if they can correct it.

3. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

What has changed since? Different pedals before or after your trem? Different power supply? Different guitar or amp or cab?

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  4. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Are you boosting the signal before the pedal input, or using hotter pickups?

jrblue likes this.
  5. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

Nothing changed at all, that makes this very frustrating.
    Duncan vintage pu, I isolated the pedal and tried different guitars and amps and power supply. The one weird thing is battery doesn’t work but it’s the first time I tried it so it may never have worked

6. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Beats me, but if the battery doesn't work then I would begin with the power supply. Something may be delivering a hotter signal that the pot can't completely cut. If you have warranty coverage, send it back for repair. Your favored use sounds good and the pedal shuld be able to function well in that manner.

MatsEriksson and Hags like this.
  7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

You could try cleaning the pots with tuner cleaner or D-Oxit. Your description seems to point to the depth control. You might also try a different valcoder in a shop and see if it behaves like yours used to. Is it possible you're not using it in a way the the manufacturer intended. Comparing it to a known working pedal might help. It is primarily marketed as a trem, right?

Is the valcoder SMD? If not, maybe pix would help.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  8. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

I’ll clean the pots tomorrow and report back, thanks

9. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

Cleaned the pot and no luck. Sending it back.
    Thanks for input

10. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Yes, some pedals can have bleed through. It is more often than not with old units, that the pots turns old. So when you turn them totally counterclokwise they are not really at 0. If spray doesn't help, change them out. If they are PCB hard soldered pots then it's even worse. I have had numerous normal vol pots in guitars that even if the mechanically came to a stop, that was formerly totally silent, you still hear a faint bleed through. Changed the pot out altogether and the "bleed" stopped.

Hags likes this.
  11. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Another possibility might be a leaky electrolytic cap. They're the cylinder shaped ones that usually stand straight up on the board. A discharge that looks like dirt is a dead giveaway. The electrolytics are one of the components that can go bad over time.

Even so, sending it back sounds like a good idea if you can get your money out of it. Bench time is off the chain around here.

MatsEriksson and Hags like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.