Tech 21 vt bass

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Edenfield99, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Edenfield99

Edenfield99 Tele-Meister

I'v heard good things about the SANSAMP Character series on here and was wondering if anyone has used the VT BASS to try to get Keith Richards' Get Your Ya Yas Out tone and if they'd had any success.

I believe the Catalinbread SFT can do it but I was looking for something I could use for DI applications as well as in front of an amp.

2. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

+1! I'd love to know how the VT sounds with guitar!

3. Edenfield99

Edenfield99 Tele-Meister

I got it in the end!! It sounds good, you can definately get that Stones sound (especially with my Ampeg plexi!). Ran it through my acoustic amp at a small gig at weekend and no problems, used it for recording with some success as well. Not used it in front of my tube amp yet but it was worth the purchase. I think there's a video on YouTube where Burgerman666 demos one and it sold it to me. Can't find the link, I'm at work

4. Tee1

Tee1 Tele-Meister

5. AngryEL34s

AngryEL34s Tele-Meister

Dang! I never even thought if using it for guitar, but yeah, that's a great idea! I love the British I have for Marshall sounds, and I have a VT at home for my GF who's a bassist, but I've never thought of using it for guitar, but dang, I'm going to now!

6. Edenfield99

Edenfield99 Tele-Meister

7. Impulse

Impulse Tele-Meister

Man, that sounds awful.

8. Edenfield99

Edenfield99 Tele-Meister

I think he's trying to prove the point, he does just seem to randomly step on pedals as he goes. It was the Stones sound in the first one that really sold me (i'm a sucker for keef tones!).

9. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Def. cool sounds from the tele through VT. Wonder how it sounds clean, or clean with some break up?

10. HonenShonin

HonenShonin Tele-Meister

It sounds incredible clean. I was really blown away when I tried it. The treble can get really piercing when the gain is up (unless you bring the highs way down), but all that treble is an asset when you're playing clean. The VT Bass pedal can add much more presence to your clean sound than the Blonde pedal can. Just EQ to taste and run with it!

Mind you, I'm playing the pedal into either a small PA or the AAD Cub. I haven't tried it into a conventional guitar amp.

11. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

That sounds cool! I also use my blonde and liverpool straight to the pa for most gigs. The liverpool can also get very piercing, but it adds some nice sparkle when used right. The blonde, however, has the treble at maximum most of the time. Often, it just sounds too smooth...
    Thanks for your input, any demos?

12. HonenShonin

HonenShonin Tele-Meister

Sorry, I have no demos, and I'm such a technophobe that I'd probably not be able to figure out how to create and post one properly. But I am right with you on the blonde--even with the highs dimed, it's missing some of the high-end presence that I want from something that is supposedly a blackface sound.

The VT bass has those highs, although of course the character is not 100% Fender-ish. Recently, the Leeds pedal has been my favorite for cleans, though. It's more optimized for the guitar (rather than the bass, although it does that well, too), and the cleans have a really interesting percussive attack. I've never played through a Hiwatt, so I can't comment on the accuracy of the modeling, but it's a sound I really like.

I concede that I've gone a bit nuts with this series of pedals: I have the Blonde, the Liverpool, the VT Bass, the British, and the Leeds. I keep the British around just for the high-gain stuff, and I may offload the Blonde, but the other three are pure gold in my book. Right now I'm using the VT Bass for my bass (duh), the Leeds for cleans (that only break up when you hit really hard), and the Liverpool for an overdriven sound that's only really clean when you play soft or roll back the volume.

By all means, find your way to a store and experiment with them!

13. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I hear you man! My dad was a big who fan, and I always wanted to sound like townshend, so the leeds has been on my list for a while. I bought the other two before the newer ones came out. Those pedals have made almost all my amps obsolete, my favorite guitar sound is now one of these pedals through my bass amp. All the pedals, by the way, seem to work well with bass too.
    Funny that the blonde should be so lacking in treble, wonder why that is?

14. Durango Twango

Durango Twango Tele-Meister

Try bringing up the mids on the Blonde - seems to bring some treble along for the ride.

15. HonenShonin

HonenShonin Tele-Meister

I tried that, but it doesn't bring up the sort of highs I'm looking for. What I really want is a presence knob, centered at maybe 12k. (Much higher than the high knob on the pedal, which I think is something like 3.2k). That could really give you control of the sparkle. Heck, it would probably sound like a bright switch on the higher settings.

Oh, well...

16. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Well, I guess a good thing about the blonde is that it won't sound harsh, even with a strat bridge pickup, but the sparkle I get with the liverpool does seem to be missing. Plus, having the treble maxed all the time seems silly... Are real fender tupe amps like this? I don't have enough experience with them to say.

I really like the way you describe the cleans on the leeds, I have a hard time deciding between that and a VT. It's my guitar that pays the bills, but I really like playing bass too. Are there any real problems using the VT with guitar?

17. Impulse

Impulse Tele-Meister

Interesting. As far as I know, a guitar speaker rolls off highs way below 12kHz. Probably the original SVT cabs too, since there's no tweeter in them. I don't know at what frequencies does a usual presence knob operate though. So a 12k knob would surely affect the curve, but I have no idea in what way.

18. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

Has anyone tried these for recording plugging straight into an DAW? I love the old Sansamp so I can imagine these pedals sound great.

19. Durango Twango

Durango Twango Tele-Meister

I've had some great results running both the Blonde and Liverpool together set clean. Just a bigger spectrum if that makes sense. You just have to watch the output running two of these together.

20. HonenShonin

HonenShonin Tele-Meister

I probably should have clarified that I was referring to the Blonde pedal and not the VT bass; the VT bass has highs to spare! (As do the Liverpool and the Leeds, for that matter....)

I just threw the 12k figure out there as something likely to get at the frosting on top of the tone--quite a bit lower might work just as well. It's clear to me, though, that the high knob on the Blonde isn't getting at the frequency that is missing in what would otherwise be a brilliant representation of a Blackface amp. (I'm speaking here about times when the character knob is to the left of center, and not in the political sense. :) )

Does anyone have any graphs of the frequency response of an old Twin or some such? That's something I would be fascinated to see.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.