Tech 21 Trademark 60

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gitapik, Dec 9, 2011.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't taken the SS plunge, but if/when I do based on reviews I think I'd go all in with a Quilter, probably as 12" combo.

2. Maradona86

Maradona86 Tele-Meister

According to UPS, mine is schedule to arrive TODAY.....Gawd, I haven't had a NAD since 2010. SO EXCITED. I have a couple of nice amplifiers so it'll have to really hold it's own and add value if it survives what I call, The Gauntlet (AKA- the next 25ish days of the 30 day MF return policy).

posts/first impressions soon to follow......

3. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Well, I for one think you're in for a treat. The unconventional controls may take a bit of getting used to, so do have a good look at the manual when setting up your sounds. Their suggested setting examples are very good starting points at the very least. The advice from Tech21NYC's post above also makes very good sense. Enjoy!!!

Afterthought: if it's a brand new box-fresh example, the speaker takes just a little while to get to sound its best. Patience will be rewarded...

4. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

I've just loaded my TM 60 for tonight's gig in London, most of my amps have gathered dust since I got it last year although I am keeping my eye out for a Roland Blues Cube to add to the collection.

5. Tony474

Well, you can't have mine... ;) :lol:

6. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

Haaaa no I don't suppose I could, but hopefully pick one up eventually. There is one on ebay pretty cheap but too far away and I need to pick it up, pay cash out of the gig slush fund and sneak it home without the wife knowing.

7. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I bought one a few months ago as a simple, minimalist, no pedals, grab-n-go amp. Worked for awhile with setting up a clean and high-gain channel switching base tone. Couldn't quite dial in what I wanted to hear. Put it up locally for sale on Craigs List and it didn't move so I kept it around as a backup.

Had the though last weekend to set up Channel 1 to sound as much as my Pro Junior as I could and then use my small pedalboard in front of it. Gigged it over the weekend and it sounded fantastic. I am so glad it didn't sell!

I will be keeping it now.

8. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I have a TM60. It's the best SS amp I've heard. It doesn't get used that much. My Fender tube amps top my list, but the TM60 is a great little amp.

9. Maradona86

Maradona86 Tele-Meister

a no go......

:( I wanted SOOOOOOOO bad to like this amp, but after hours of tweaking, and messing with it, I came to realize that for what it cost and compared to the tones conjured up by my Vox Pathfinder15R, Peavey DB 1 15, Kustom '36 Coupe, and TRRI, the TM 60 had nothing new to offer. Add to that the cabinet rattled whenever I engaged the OD channel and got it up to stage volume. I HATE chasing down rattles especially in a new amp - unacceptable......oh well....thanks for the info guys.

10. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

11. Talacaster

Talacaster TDPRI Member

I sold my TM-60 recently in favour of a Blackstar HT-40, it was just got too frustrating trying to balance the 2 channels in a live situation and even though it's a good sounding amp, it always had a certain solid state quality to it that I couldn't get rid of. It's small and light which is a major plus, it takes pedals well and has some nice features but in a live setting it can be difficult to use as a channel switching amp. If you're using just one channel then I would say it's fine, alot of people seem to use it just for the clean channel which some say is the better of the two channels. My issue with the amp was if I found a good setting for the clean channel, it was impossible to EQ the overdrive channel and visa versa which in the end just became too frustrating. I do like Tech 21 products though.

When I sold it, the guy who came to buy it wanted to try it out of course, the clean channel sounded really good and I started to have second thoughts about it but let it go. The Blackstar just sounds better, it's tubes but it's a bit bigger and heavier which is the downside but the 2 channels balance better.

If you're looking for a solid state amp you might want to check out Quilter amps (the maker of QSC power amps) they are now making guitar amps. I saw a three piece playing on New Years Eve 2013 and the guitarist was using this small amp that sounded fantastic, it only had an 8" speaker and I believe he said it was 100 watts, it sounded really good. I believe Allan Holdsworth is using them now.

12. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

I just want to try one in person...
    :(

but can never find one!

13. Tony474

Where was that NYE gig? I've taken an interest in the Quilter amps and read a lot about them on line, but it seems that they're not available in the UK except by ordering direct from the makers, with all the shipping, customs and other hassle that entails. So there's nowhere here to try one out.

Meanwhile I'm still more than happy with my TM60 for my particular purposes - even though, for certain practical reasons*, I don't gig it as often as I might.

*The practical reasons include the fact that my Cube 60 lives in my car, notionally as a ready backup, but as it's so compact and the places I play are often very tight for space I frequently can't be arsed to take another amp as well and just use the Cube anyway. It hasn't got the TM60's character but it does sound very good in a businesslike, efficient kind of way and it does the job.

14. tele_jas

tele_jas Tele-Afflicted

My lead singer was actually David Allan Coe's lead guitarist for about 7 years from about 2001 until 2008. His main amp was a Tech 21 Trademark, but the much higher wattage one (I think 300 wts?). He now has the 150 wt version and has used it in our band since 2008. I normally don't like modeling amps or solid state amps, but I really like the clean tones he gets out of this amp. He's not much of a rock player and uses the presets for our rock stuff, but I'm sure if he messed with it a little it would sound better. Guess that's why he rely's on me for most of the rock tones.

But in comparison to a Classic 30.. If you changed the speaker out and put new tubes in the C30, it takes that amp into a completely different range and I'd almost pit it against $1500 boutique amps. The Classic 30 is my "closet" amp that I'm sure I'll have, again, some day.

15. jamesronguitar

jamesronguitar TDPRI Member

I got one of these for 89 bucks yesterday. You can't turn it down for that price! Sounds great! I am very pleased with it so far!

Tony474 likes this.
  16. flatcat90

flatcat90 TDPRI Member

That's a terrific price for it. Congrats on the score.

I've had a TM60 for many years now. Overall, I like it, especially to record with. And it was fantastic to go on tour with - lightweight, relatively speaking, good sounding, easy to run into a PA.

However, I have found that it is not able to keep up with hard hitting drummers and loud band situations in local clubs. Maybe that's changed (certainly since COVID, but even before), where people don't want loud bands in clubs any more. The last time I used it for a gig, the other guitar player was using a Twin and my TM60 was inaudible, dimed. So I don't think it's loud enough, particularly, for a band situation. Obviously it depends on the situation and the band. It's easy to run into a PA and be heard if you're doing that - but if you're just setting up in a corner of a place and playing, using a small PA for just vocals, and your other guitar player has a tube amp, it's been my experience that there isn't enough umph in the TM60 to keep up.

Still a great amp, just ... consider a Power Engine if you'll be gigging. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.