Tech 21 Richie Kotzen Fly Rig

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by semitone, Feb 8, 2015.

1. semitone

semitone TDPRI Member

2. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I'd like it more if it wasn't Red. I'm considering getting this or the Carl Martin quattro. To bad you can't try them out before buying.

3. Tele Ted

Tele Ted Tele-Holic

I have the standard model. See link. I have used it a few times and I am still undecided on this (whether I like it or not). I used when i jammed with a buddy on Friday with a cube 40. It complemented the cube ok, ran it thru the clean channel. Before that I used it through a champion 600 a few times for home practice and it didn't sound good through that amp IMHO. To harsh sounding.

Need to run it thru my half stack.

Like any piece of gear, I need to dial it in. Not every pedal goes great with every amp.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/flyrig.html

4. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think the idea is cool--a modded all-in-one box tricked out for a particular cats' needs. If your playing style is like Richies', it's a real boon, I'd reckon.

I still don't know why I think I'd prefer the Quattro. The Fly Rig is smaller, lighter, less expensive and has been pretty well reviewed by most common sources. The Carl Martin just looks...more...

5. MerckTenpenny

MerckTenpenny Tele-Meister

I think the FlyRig is a great idea, and I'd still like to try one out (maybe the original, not so much this version). I'd still take the Quattro if I had the coin. It has the dual gain control with the addition of a compressor. It's got more features right out of the box. Plus, the chorus and echo are seperate and can be used individually or together. It's worth the extra dough IMO

6. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

I would buy the FlyRig in a heartbeat...IF...it had a built-in rechargeable battery. It can be done, and I don't think it would affect the size a whole lot. Would be awesome to literally just plug in the guitar cable and play all those effects, without using a wall wart.
    JMHO.

7. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

It looks cool, but I couldn't justify dropping $250 on something so bare bones. A POD floor unit is more my style since in has an exp. pedal and a wide array of effects.

I guess these aren't for everyone though. If you're a blues guy, this probably does it all.

8. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

I'd rather have a Brian May Fly Rig or an Eddie Van Halen Fly Rig. What other artists have a signature sound that might qualify for their own Fly Rig?

9. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

The digitch Brian May pedal from a few years back definitely nails his tones. I have one and spent a week going "Wow! That sounds just Tie Your Mother Down", but then I couldn't maintain enthusiasm for it since I don't play in a Queen tribute band.

10. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

I like my FR5 a lot. I have a fancy pedal board with some real bling (H9, El Cap, etc). The FR5 is not meant to replace that. But for an open mic where quick setup/breakdown is key, it's a nice device. Considering how much it does in a nice little package at a reasonable cost, it's a great deal.
    Most of the demos you hear on Youtube are cranked way up. I use it with the gain much lower and it's got great tone and dynamics. My favorite clean-ish tone out of it uses the Plexi and Sansamp parts together to get that low gain, edge of breakup Marshall tone.
    As a plus, it records very well direct into my interface.

11. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  12. gcat

gcat TDPRI Member

My .02. I've been gigging with my RK-5 since December 2014, with both my rock band and my blues band. Guitar>TU-2>Crybaby 535Q>RK-5>Roto Choir>mixer (or direct to my Alto TS110A powered monitor. It gets the job done!
    I've actually done a couple of gigs with only the RK-5 and a clip on tuner. I do prefer using the pedal tuner though, as it facilitates muting signal to swap guitars. The wah I need for a few tunes with the rock band, the Roto Choir, I could easily get by without.
    A few observations; The OMG isn't genre specific, it's a nice all around dirt. I keep mine at around 9-10 o'clock, pretty low. ALL the knobs are quite sensitive to small adjustment, and quite capable of a wide range. The Sansamp section is a nice 'clean channel', I set mine around noon for an edge of breakup clean. The reverb is very usable, nothing extraordinary, but nothing to dislike. The delay sounds excellent! The drift control really can add a nice subtle effect.
    The biggest challenge I've encountered, is balancing the output levels between the Sansamp section (always on in my application) and the OMG, as well as the Boost level, and how it reacts with the Sansamp and OMG. But I'm getting more comfortable with all that.
    BTW, all this is based on use with Strats, PRS CE-22's and Zach Myers, and Gibson ES-355 and SG/LP.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.