Tech 21 PE60 question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tatercaster, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Have any of you tried a Power Engine 60??

2. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Tried one out -- it was used and I was able to give it a spin -- when I still had my Trademark 60 and was looking for an extension speaker. It is what it is, basically a powered speaker. I think it had some variety of Celestion in it.
    I wound up passing on it, and selling the amp. It was a fine amp, but I got my hands on a '74 Deluxe Reverb and haven't looked back. (The DR tone was what I always tried to dial in with the Tech 21, anyway.)
    Not sure whether that helps. Looking back, I probably should have held onto that Trademark 60. Nice amp, and the Tech 21 stuff I've tried is good stuff.

3. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

Would love to get one to go with my Sansamp GT2. Makes for a very good-sounding, highly portable SS rig.

4. Tatercaster

I'm thinking of ditching the Peavey Studio Chorus 210 and getting one of the Tech 21 PE60's. A good clean power amp to plug my effects into and just go crazy. :)

5. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

You'd also need some kind of amp emulation or pre-amp, I believe. Plugging into a PE60 is like plugging into a board. It could sound kind of sterile.

6. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I have one in my office/music room that I plug a Line6 Pod XTR Live, or a Tech21 Liverpool, into.

It's very nicely made, more than powerful enough for my use, clean and simple. It has a 12" Celestion Seventy80 in it, it accepts 1/2" and XLR inputs and offers basic 3-band equalization to tailor the sound to a particular room. With the XLR connections, multiple PE60s can be daisy chained together.

It's perfect as a power amp for any modeller.

7. Tatercaster

My understanding is that the PE60 was designed to work well with stompbox disfortions, fuzz, and overdrives as well as modellers. My plan was to use a DOD Mystic Blues, a diy Fuzz Face, or my Big Muff Pi in front and tremolo, flanger, chorus, and delay in the loop.

8. Tech21NYC

Tech21NYC Tele-Meister

The PE was designed to be a multiple function powered extension cab. You can use it with a modeler, guitar preamp or our SansAmp pedals. While you can use it with a distortion pedal, most distortion pedals don't have the tonal flexibility of a preamp type device. It can work though.

9. Tatercaster

If the tone coming out of the pedal is what I want, then the PE60 will just make it louder, right?

10. Tech21NYC

Tech21NYC Tele-Meister

Yes, it will make it louder. The Power Engine is not like plugging into a mixer. It's a powered guitar cab. It's uncolored in that the output section doesn't add any additional distortion or overdrive characteristics like a tube amp. It just amplifies what you put in but you are still going through a guitar speaker.

11. Tatercaster

Will it stay clean when cranked to 11 if I plugged straight in?

12. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

In my experience - I just tried it with a Strat - yes it will stay clean when cranked. But you may hear a little hum from it, and to be honest I don't think it sounds that good with a guitar plugged straight in. As discussed, it was really designed for use with a modeller or preamp. Then it sounds terrific.

I'd just like to add that I think it's really cool that the Tech21 crew get on this forum so promptly to answer questions about their gear. It's a shame that other companies don't do the same.

13. Tech21NYC

Tech21NYC Tele-Meister

If you go into the PE with a guitar , the guitar should either be active or you need to place a buffered pedal in between the guitar and Power Engine.

Go to 11, not quite. Like any amp there is a limit to how far it can be pushed. I've used my PE on a lot of gigs and it's usually more than loud enough. If you're playing metal with a super loud drummer, it's probably not for you.

14. Tatercaster

I mainly play at home, so the PE60 sounds more than adequate for me.

15. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I used one to make a Fender Super Champ XD loud enough to gig with, and I was quite pleased with it. Good speaker, well built cab, plenty loud.

16. mrgp52tele

mrgp52tele Tele-Meister

I have the Tech 21 PE60 and I'm using the Tech 21 Blonde pedal and the Boss 65 Reverb pedal, and it sound GREAT with my Tele and Strat. I'm very impressed. I did the A/B comparison with my Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, and the PE60 was a pleasant surprise. The Tech 21 Blonde pedal allows you to dial in both Blackface and Silverface sounds. I got my PE 60 brand new at Sam Ash on clearance for $275 out the door and the Tech 21 Blonde pedal from Sweetwater for $156 delivered (bought from John Gilespie). I already had the Boss 65 Reverb pedal. It is really light to transport and sounds really good, and this is coming from a tube amp guy. Has more clean headroom than the Deluxe, and the Blonde pedal dials in a really nice blues crunch, or an all out distortion.

17. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I gigged a POD and then a Tech21 TRI-AC into a PE60 for about 8 years at church. It was perfect for that application. Well built, sounds great, and Tech21 has AWESOME support.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.