Tears for Fears

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by tintag27, Jul 7, 2020.

1. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The perfect pop song (and a nice cameo from an Austin Healey 3000)

2. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

The most underrated band of the era, by a wide margin.

3. wacolo

wacolo Tele-Meister

Great writing and production. Always tasteful and creative. And Roland Orzabal has one of the coolest voices around.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

5. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

There's a good interview or doc with them about the song. It was the last one recorded for the album..they weren't even going to bother with it but the chords and shuffle beat ignited something ...they started recording layers and arranging it as they went...Wikipedia tells the story

emisilly and hepular like this.
  6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

A week or so before the video was released my dad and I had been out to the area much of the video was filmed, near Palm Springs. We rented some 3-wheelers, and went to an area called Whitewater. When I saw the video, the part with the motorcycle/atv riders looked similar to where we went. That, and all the other landmarks made it clear it was close by. That seemed like a big deal to me as a 13-14(?) year old. I told my friends, and they didn't seem to care. Much like no one here is going to care. And why should you? :p

7. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Meister

I know this song very well. I was in high school and thought that if a tune didn't have distortion guitar all over it then it was junk. I secretly admired not just this song but pretty much everything Tears For Fears ever put out. But I never came out back then and admitted it. Ahhh, youth. Now? I listen to Tears For Fears Greatest Hits pretty much every other day if not every day. Listened to it yesterday evening while grilling some chicken. They created some timeless masterpieces in my opinion.

8. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Love it! Songs from the Big Chair is one of my favorite pop albums from the 80s and I feel that it has aged incredibly well. There's not an ounce of filler on it. I saw Tears for Fears on their tour to support this album and they were fantastic live as well.

9. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

The Hurting is a fantastic record. High concept, beautifully produced, captures the early 80s nicely.

nvilletele and emisilly like this.
  10. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Agree that they are a highly underrated band with some great songwriting. I'm a big fan. The stuff they put out after Songs From The Big Chair (which I agree is an excellent body of work), including the work Roland did on his own while retaining the name, is VERY different from the poppy synth stuff of their early MTV days. I think a lot of people associate them with that Mad World song, and I didn’t care much for that era.

They’re still out there touring (or were...) and there have been rumblings of a new album. It does seem like they’ve lost the creative drive though, and they’ve been cashing in on the nostalgia.

You’re either gonna like this or you’re not gonna like it, but if you like it I think you’re really gonna like it:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Wow! Thanks for posting that. I love that they let Oleta Adams own that performance instead of trying to make it a duet or something.

hepular, tintag27 and Ignatius like this.
  12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Just such a great song. Deceptively difficult guitar parts and solos, too. It was not the type of song I would typically try to learn on guitar, so I never really focused on them. A buddy of mine recently wanted to try it, and I took the bass. Man, I had it way easy compared to him.

emisilly, tintag27 and coreytree like this.
  13. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Oh yeah :cool:

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Dang I was beat to Big Chair and I Believe. Loved that album to pieces, still have the cassette and vinyl.

I'll just post one and done.

emisilly, tintag27 and kLyon like this.
  15. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I saw this tour and they opened with this. Talk about goosebumps!

emisilly, tintag27 and Lawdawg like this.
  16. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

Always liked them

Check out this cover (one fo a few on YT):

tintag27 likes this.
  17. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Always liked T4F. Loved the textures and layers they employed. And the vocals...:D

My band's take on Everybody Wants To Rule The World (I'm the lead guitarist), an amateur video shot by my wife at a gig in late 2017.

FenderGuy53, wacolo, emisilly and 2 others like this.
  18. opticnerv

opticnerv TDPRI Member

Raoul and the Kings of Spain is their most remarkable album. GREAT guitar work, songwriting and production.

Ignatius and tintag27 like this.
  19. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Meister

Songs from the Big Chair is one the '80s albums. I still play it all the time on headphones while working out at the gym. The songwriting and production are just perfect.

20. Martian

Martian TDPRI Member

14276827-DCDC-4BB2-9F1E-B5DC984AA793.jpeg I always liked this.... 14276827-DCDC-4BB2-9F1E-B5DC984AA793.jpeg

emisilly and kLyon like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.