Tear-jerkers. Let's post songs that get us misty-eyed.

punkermd

TDPRI Member
10 By Yellowcard. It's a song reflecting on Ryan's girlfriend having a miscarriage while he was on tour and him coming back to find out. It also goes on to paint a picture of what life might look like when the child turned 10. It's devastating and beautiful at the same time, Ryan is an amazing songwriter.

For Fiona - Rise Against w/ John Snodgrass
This is a cover of the song For Fiona by No Use For A Name, the bands singer Tony Sly wrote it for one of his daughters. It's a beautiful version and it just crushes me every time. It was recorded for a tribute album when Tony passed in 2012. Frank Turner covered the song for his other daughter Keira.

srblue5

Tele-Afflicted
Golly, there are so many for me.

I never liked this song. Some years ago, when there was an anniversary spotlight on Sgt. Pepper's on the radio, they played this song and I realized why I didn't like it. I hear it and I'm practically sobbing. It breaks my heart, especially Lennon's call/response vocals ("We gave her everything money could buy...")...which is exactly the feeling I believe the song was intended to evoke. In so doing, it is an absolutely brilliant piece of art. I love it and yet I hate it.

I always thought the studio version of this was somewhat overwrought, but it still is a tearjerker for me. Especially when they have performed it onstage with just the two of them. Very poignant.

For personal reasons. Especially the last verse.

Hauntingly beautiful, yet heartbreaking. Even better still, after all the controversy about them not playing their instruments, they do so magnificently on this piece. The last chorus is especially moving to me. ("It was easy then to know what was fair, what to keep and what to share, how much to protect your heart, and how much to care...")

Where's my damn tissues... 🤧 They weren't afraid to get really real in the late '60s...

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Forgot about this one. It still gets me all these years later. When I was young I understood the message, but not so much the metaphor. Now I think I understand it better. The sun rises in the east...youth. When you get older, only the wind (memory) blows to the east. You can't go back. It's a powerful song.

4wotitswurth

Tele-Meister
Everything but the girl….. ”missing”
Sarah mclachlan….. ”I will remember you”
CSNY…. The lee shore

Last edited:

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Afflicted
Such a personalized thing, driven by experiences. An odd one for me is The Band's "Katie's Been Gone". After our mutt KD died I couldn't listen to that song and still take a direct hit to the heart by the verse "Katie's been gone and now her face is slowly fading from my mind
She's gone to find some newer places
And left the old life far behind"

😢