Teal stripe Bandit trouble.

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by rickthescot, Sep 18, 2020.

1. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

Just purchased a Teal stripe with a scorpion for $40 from a pawn shop. I knew it had issues but for that price, I'll throw dice. The problem is that it has very low volume and a very muddy sound. I pulled the Scorpion and it sounds great in another amp. I put another speaker in it and I get the same issue. I cleaned the pots and jacks, even used a direct line in the effects loop. Still no change.
    Any thoughts on what to check next?

2. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

At least you have found the issue is power amplifier related, so just to double check, connect the Pre Out to a known good amplifier and make sure it isn't a power supply related issue.
    The power amplifiers are extremely basic and well, it's a Peavey so all possible corners have been cut.
    With all due respect, if you are not competent with fault finding and component level repairs, take it to someone who is.
    If you are competent, check the signal line with your oscilloscope and signal generator. You will soon find the issue.

3. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

Thanx Jon!

4. Timmay

Timmay Tele-Meister

Try putting a jumper cable from the fx send/return. Dirty Jack's are notorious for causing this type of problem in these amps.

noname_dragon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.